upgrading system! advice please!!

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by TheHemperor4:19, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Sup yall!!! questions outlined by ==== for those too lazy to read the whole thing.
    Well, heres the dealio... im still on my current 1st grow, shortly about to switch over to 12/12 for 2 months of flowering on october 1st. The first grow is, surprise surprise, a bit harder than i thought it would be, but im trooping through!! Out of 5 seeds, 4 germ'd, and due to me being stupid, im left with just 1.... i had 2 good females growing, but i decided to try and transplant... and yeah.... didn't go so good.

alright!! well, i got a 400w hps running right now.. just 1 baby all to herself, and it's going to stay that way for awhile.... she's a northern brights femme fatale.

I got some strawberry HAZE seeds coming in the mail soon, and i just sent out my money order to HTG supply.... im stepping it up yallll, 1000w hps coming in the mail, also comes with a 1000w mh conversion bulb... so that'll be cool, having an MH to work with. Im trying to get something a bit continual going on, so what i got in mind is this:

once the 1000w arrives... (hopefully in like a month.. + a week or so) i'm going to throw the NB fem under the 1000w during the last month of flowering, really try and beef the bitch up, as she needs to have a GREAT harvest.... because she's the last one... then, i'm going to set the 400 watt hps up in another closet, and use that for my vegging light/room. Ill veg 4 plants at a time, for a good month, month and a week or so, what have you, and then bring them over to the 1000w for flowering, put another 4 in for veg.... and put them into flower, so that'd make 8, you know, and then rinse and repeat the cycle, always having 8-10 flowering, and 4 vegg'ing, and getting a harvest every 55-60 days. 5-6 harvests a year.

so thats my plan for that. i'd eventually set up a cloning situation but thats down the line... i'm going to be strapped for cash for the forseeable future... atleast until i turn 21.
    ===============================================
    questions: I don't really have any exhaust system set-up per-se right now, just in a closet in my basement, its cooler down there, and i HAD, 2 big box fans going for circulation, down to 1 because 1 plant don't need that much cooling. anyways, i know 1000w is a big jump from 400, the temp/heat increase is going to be likewise....

-you think an open closet with some fans running can handle the heat of a 1000w?
    the size of the closet is (rough estimates by head) probaly 3.5-4 feet wide, 8-10 feet long, and 8-10 feet high. (probaly closer to the 10 for both of them)

the 400w had temps running between (usually 76-81) with like 1 spike up to 85, and one dip down to like, 71-72, can't really explain those, but its usually constant between 76-81.

another question: I basically feel horrible right now, im down to 1 female, i killed my 2nd and only other by trying to transplant, albeit very late into veg, whats a good container to grow in, thats around like 1-1.5 gallons, that will be VERY EASY to gain access too, and to transplant with.
    ***i'm using these heavy duty like 6 gallon pots that i cut the tops off with... i tried to break it down the side, it was real hard, and the ball of dirt was way too big.... the container tipped over, crushing the plant against the concrete floor with a bigass pile of dirt.... and ended up destroying 85% of the root system... plant was clearly dead in less than 24 hours....***
    ================================================

LAST QUESTION: my only problem left is seedling start up... i started my previous 4 seedlings straight under the 400w hps... they did okay... one of them fried though, so it was a bit of a problem, and stretching was an issue.

im thinking about a very small cfl set-up for when my babes are freshly germ'd. just using dixie cups or what have u, something mad tiny, to get them to a good 3''-4'' before i toss them under the 400w hps to veg for real.

I can read up about spectrum and all that, i know its good to have 100w of AUCTUAL light, per plant. my question is: Where can i cheaply get a set-up for some cfl's going? (PART BELOW IS IMPORTANT)
    where can i get some ballasts/lamp thingy's/sockets... that'll hold the cfl's in place, i see these like, tri prong bulb things in some pictures, i need something like that... my last attempt at using cfl's went okay kinda.... i didnt have enough real watts and i didnt have any sockets so i had to buy like some sockets at a home depot... but they just hung there off the cord... i had to tape them to this box and shit and use that and just yeah... didn't work....

THANKS if you auctucally read all that, hah or even part of it.

any advice/comments/tips/encouragement, would be gladly appreciated