Grasscity - Cyber Week Sale - up to 50% Discount

upgrading MAC RAM

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by NativeSoundz, Jan 12, 2013.

1. someone here knows the answer to this im sure.

im currently running 4GB 1067 DDR3 (2 cards @ 2 GB each) id like to step up to 8 GB.

Just wondering if i need to purchase this from Apple or are there other brands that are just as compatible/or perhaps better than what Apple sells.

pleassssseeeee keep your F*** Apple bullshit off of here, im a mixing engineer who needs iOS for several editing programs.

Thanks for your help guys

2. i bought mine from a third party

3. from where???

4. crucial dot com

5. k heres another question.

im assuming (and correct me if im wrong) that since i already have 2 DDR3 modules i would need to purchase 2 other DDR3 modules right? my computer has 4 slots

does the speed have to much as well? the 2 that came stock are at 1067 MHz, but most of the ones i find online are at 1600 MHz

6. however many empty slots u have u can put as much memory as u want. most people put 2 or 4. i dont know aboutthe Mhz but i think it does not matter. but dont take my word for it. wait for others or try macworld

7. sweet i checked out that site and i picked out an 8gb upgrade, they had an item finder where i just put in the model of my mac and it shows everything thats compatible...im stoked gonna be running soooo much faster with 12gb RAM, hahaha fuckin apple was gonna charge almost $150 for that much, crucial only costs $60

you sir get some rep from me :)

8. glad i could help

9. Ram is your random access memory. It's a flash drive basically, that holds data used often. This is good. But your computer checks the entire ram bank then if not finding the data, moves to the hd. With a lot of ram, you actually slow down the process of using new, or rarely used programs. I mean, you'll be fine. But more ram doesn't equal faster computer (per se). I would recommend upgrading to a ssd and seeing the difference there. Speed unlocked.

Edit: This is just what i've read, someone correct me if i'm wrong or not clear

10. I'm a sound engineer as well by the way. Well... I've done it plenty of times, but I have no degree yet. Getting my aa in music technology at shoreline community college. What programs are you running? Garageband and protools, i'm sure

11. I know I know. Triple post. Bad etiquette. But here's a link about compatibility that answers your question about speed.
    What Do I Need to Know About Compatibility When Upgrading RAM?
    tl;dr Your computer will underclock the faster set of ram to match the slower. Consider buying the same speed or upgrading both sets.

12. ive been recording for about 7 years now, i primarily work out of different studios but at home my setup is pretty basic...but thats all about to change here in the near future.

I havent used garageband in forever haha i use pro tools, ableton, logic,and digital performer.

13. Nice, I'm trained and familiar with pro tools (of course) and logic. But not the other two. That's pretty awesome. I've done a lot of live mixing, and a bit of recording (low-scale, friends house kinda deal). Talking to a studio about some 'internship' or i guess apprenticeship work.

14. [quote name='"RingOfSmoke"']Nice, I'm trained and familiar with pro tools (of course) and logic. But not the other two. That's pretty awesome. I've done a lot of live mixing, and a bit of recording (low-scale, friends house kinda deal). Talking to a studio about some 'internship' or i guess apprenticeship work.[/quote]

That's cool dude, what kinda music you like to produce?

I love writing in ableton and logic and I do most of my editing in pro tools

15. I am in a mathcore band (hardcore, weird time sigs, harsh chords), so that's what I focus on mostly. But I recorded for an indie band, and a couple thrash bands. Mixing was mostly at this church that played some pretty modern christian rock. Drums and all. I also worked a couple musicals, which was actually a lot of fun.

16. +1 for crucial, the compatibility information they provide is great. Newegg is another good place to source tech parts like RAM.

17. Getting an SSD is good advice, it certainly helps speed things up compared to a system that is using a mechanical HD.

Though SSDs are best when dedicated to the OS and often used apps. For project files (be it video or audio or whatever really), you should think two-tiered. A separate SSD for current projects, and a mechanical HD or even better, a NAS setup, for archived and finished projects.

And your explanation of RAM isn't quite correct. As opposed to a flash-drive or SSD, RAM is volatile memory. Meaning as soon as the power is off, all information in the RAM is gone. On the bright side, RAM is very fast. And more is always better.

More RAM will speed up things you do on the computer, as it allows in-memory processing of larger amounts of data before the computer need to dump information to and from the HD/SSD (using a pagefile aka virtual memory) to free up some RAM for more urgent needs. Hitting the pagefile will slow your computer down considerably. So more physical RAM means less - if any - use of virtual RAM, which equals a happy computer that doesn't slow to a crawl every so often.

Having more RAM will never slow down your computer assuming one don't introduce an odd number of modules into a dual channel setup. And having more RAM won't slow down loading of new apps or not often used apps. The OS might pre-load elements of often used apps into memory at startup, but this change based on use and in either case more RAM means more can be pre-loaded. Often the OS will also defrag a mechanical HD to make more often used files sit in the middle sweet-spot of the HD in a consecutive block for faster loading, but this is entirely independent of RAM amount, and do not apply if using an SSD that should never ever be defragged.

And finally, computers don't search through RAM or disks or any other medium for what is on it. It keeps all that information stored in registries and stacks. Small databases that tells the OS where to find stuff. Everything is indexed.

18. I'll look into SSD, but the way I've got my workflow setup my computer it's only using my internal HD for the host programs (ProTools,Logic,Ableton)...I then use 2 external firewire drives, ones dedicated to recording data, the other is dedicated purely to just playback.

I need more RAM to handle these CPU intensive plugins that I'm running...my 4gb right now just isn't cutting it once im handling bigger projects. Im upgrading to 12GB :)