Upgrade RAM?

Discussion in 'Silicon (v)Alley' started by A AnoesisOrange, May 15, 2017.

1. I've been thinking about adding some more RAM to my computer. It's about a 7 year old Asus. A8 AMD processor. Think it is worth putting in 16 gigs and calling it a day? I mostly just surf some sites, stream videos, and dick around on a Linux VM from time to time. Just curious what you guys thought before I invested.

2. Nah, not worth it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Laptop? Desktop? What mobo and graphics card?

4. Sure especially if you dont have very much now. on my last build that needed ddr3 i got some 8gb sticks for dirt nasty cheap off ebay from a seller who junks computers. it was a bit of a gamble but they worked just fine

5. nah bro... your not going to see much of a performance increase... Itll help a little since you dont game or anything but your CPU will quickly become your next bottle neck... If ya need help building a new one let me know...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. also wanted to add, since you dont game, a cheap 300-500 dollar lap top will last you for years...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. oooohhh a build. I hadn't thought about that. I don't think that would be a bad idea. Don't really know where to get started. Since this would be more of a hobby type deal I'd rather put a Linux distro on it, unless I can be convinced otherwise. Wouldn't really know where to start on the hardware though.

8. The first thing you want to do is lay down a budget.. This will determine what hardware you can look at. For what you do, an i5 would be great, and save you the cost over an i7 core... since your not doing a crap ton of gaming you dont need a big boi 400 dollar video card ya know? For parts I usually just use newegg.com but to compile a list and see if I can save any big money I will use pcpartpicker.com, comes in handy and sometimes can save you a hundred or two bucks! But yea man, if you want hit me with a budget and I can do a mock build for you.. But Im not sure what Linux distro is. I know what Linux is but I never got that far into it, Im a hardware guy, not software. lol :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. I may be going back to school here soon and might have a laptop requirement, so I may end up going that route. But I feel like I should just build a desktop anyway. Is like $500-600 bucks a reasonable budget?

10. For that money, you could get a pretty hefty lap top. Let me see what you could get in the desktop range with it. Ill check to see if buying a premade one or building one yourself would get you the most power for your money.. But I am on my way to bed right now, Ill hit you back later on today.

11. Alright bro! So yea, with that kinda budget you can get a pretty powerful PC. I think it would last you a long while. Rather than just give you one mock up sheet here is a link to a bunch of builds that people have done in that price range with the processors I would recommend. This way you can look at the cases and everything, kinda find something you like.
    Completed Builds - PCPartPicker

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pick parts. Build your PC. Compare and share. - PCPartPicker

I would start here. You can create your PC and see prices from a lot of different companies. You can also see others builds and what their scores was when they benchmarked. It's geeky yes, but gives you a load of information. I really like how they made it.

Didn't even see the post above me :D

• Like Like x 1
  13. #14 SonOfMarley, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Decent build, Im not an AMD fan but the Ryzen does put serious power down for the money. I dont know if I could go Micro board as it would limit future upgrades but with 2 8 gig sticks it would put you at 16gig ram.. Also keep in mind your going to have to spend a little more on an optical drive. But overall for the money I dont think you can do much better.
    *edit* my bad the cpu comes with a fan :p

• Like Like x 1
  14. I absolutely am an AMD guy, but I'll take more power over brand anyday. For budget builds AMD cpus finally are relevant again. For this cpu, a cpu cooler would be a waste of money. He can still overclock it a little with the stock cooler if he wants to. Just needs to watch temps.

As for the optical drive, imho isn't necessary at all. You can throw one in for 20 bucks if you absolutely need one. I haven't used one in years. As for the mobo, the options were quite limited with the budget. However, he can still upgrade the cpu to an 1800x later with the same mobo if he wanted to. Then he would need to buy a cpu cooler, as it doesn't come with one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yea, AMD hasnt been relevant in soooo long, its nice to see them get back on the playing field again. Im not a brand guy, but intel has just been blowing them out of the water for so long.. I was excited when AMD released the 6 and 8 core processors back in the day, hoping it would level the field but that didnt work out lol Hopefully it will make Intel be priced more reasonably. But the Res 5 for 160 give or take is a phenomenal deal... But agreed, the optical isnt really needed in todays time, but I always like to have the option, and it makes it super easy to install windows for the first time, that is, if you dont have a monster flash drive lol

• Like Like x 1
  16. Now if we could get the ATI to get on par with Nvidia, that would be great... or just if I dint have to choose between a freesync and a gsync... the cost difference is outrageous

17. Yeah, ATI is more for budget minded people which I think they're doing a great job at. Nvidia just straight up has the most powerful gpus regardless of price. Titan Xp

Above it all though, as long as AMD produces fierce competition with Intel and Nvidia. Then we all win in the end. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. If your computer is 7 years old it may not even support 16GB of ram