Updated Beginners Guide to PH in Marijuana

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by GigZ-16, Mar 22, 2008.

1. No, If you are growing with soil, your Ph should be 6.5-7. You want it at 5.5-6 if you are using hydroponics.

2. my travel bowl the indestructabowl
    it is solid sand casted aluminum. it will never break i confirmed this by throwing off my friends balcony onto concrete. Hits great.i spent 60 dollars on aircraft grade aluminum rods to make this out of.
    [​IMG]

3. Regarding the dolomite lime when u say mix after light watering do u mean add another cup per cubic foot of soil again or just mix the soil

4. Very informative did not realize lemon juice could lower ph of gallon water so quickly hmmm may stop buying ph down if it that good!

5. I noticed some of mine where high. 7.8. Tap water is 8.1 here and can't do much about it. I got some Ph down at the hydro store. Took me like 10 minutes of mixing to get the Ph right. That stuff is potent, I wouldn't recomend using it unless you have a digital tester. I'm talking a half drop of it will throw the numbers quite a bit in a half gallon. My question is. Should I worry about adjusting them from up around just under 8 to a more reasonable number too fast? Will the quick adjustment be too much or will they benefit immediatly. Ffof mix with perlite added.

6. Love the water I have here in Oregon. After sitting out overnight the ph in my water is only 6.7. Figured I'd share my good fortune. Lemon juice does work quite well for down, but honestly I would stay away from baking soda as it can cause a lot of build up.

7. As a grower who used vinegar and lemon juice for ph down, i can tell you that they provide temporary fixes concerning PH issues. An organic ph up and down will do the job much better and in the long run (epecially if you are using vinegar) you will see that its less expensive. I would also not recommend baking soda. It can cause issues.

Oh, i used distilled water in my last grow, this time i am using my tap water. Its a bit "hard" and its PH is out of the proper range, but with a bit PH down it works just fine. If your water contains less than 130-140 ppm of chlorine, its not harmful for the plants. In fact the plants are benefited in minimum amounts. With a water report you can see what there is in your tap water.

8. Yup, we are lucky here in oregon. I have been through 6 grows never tested ph, always used tap water and everything went perfect..

9. :confused:Hi! This is my first post, and I'm about to start my first crop. After reading the guide, I fealt like a ph expert, then someone posted that ph doesn't matter. I'm lost... I would def appreciate some clarification. Thanx

10. oh it matters greatly for soil you want it between 6-7 if you get to either side of that nutes will get locked out causing your plant to die get some tap water let it sit out 2 day i add 1 tsp of lemon juice per gal of water (note that your water ph might be diff than mine in a diff area but most tap water will be in the same range once you test and figure out how much you need to the gal you wont have to check it anymore because youll know this much to a gal makes it right

11. Very good post, lots of great info. Just a quick question regarding part of it tho.

Is there anyway to measure soil PH with out an electric reader? Or is that far and away the best method?

Also:

"While growing Cannabis plants in containers, mix one cup of fine dolomite lime for each cubic foot of soil, then lightly water it. After watering, mix it once more and wait a day or two before checking the pH."

I'm confused on the last part. What do you mean by "after watering mix it once more and wait a day?

Were you referring to mixing the soil? (This didn't make much sense)

Or were you referring to mixing it in water and letting it sit out for a day or two?

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the info :)

12. PLEASE HELP.

Yesterday I spent 2 hours trying to fix my PH and could not reach what EVERYONE say.

The following tests were made :

Made my water PH 7.0
    After giving the plant water, I collected the first drops from the runway and tested them, It showed PH 4.5.
    I added PH up, made my water PH at 9.0 so that the runway becomes 6.5
    But after watering and collecting the drops from the bottom, I tested again and it showed 4.8, how could that be ?

I made that test again on a different plant which needed to be watered and same results.

So how could I fix this ?

13. Can I use my pool PH tester for now until I have the funds to order a descent Hanna tester? Would it be alright?

14. Well he does have a very nice rod. And how I got to this post is 2 plants were dying and after extensive research I tested my runoff and sure enough I had lockout on two of them due to ph being to low. This all started from using fox farm tiger bloom I had no problems at all before using that crap a few days prior.

• Like Like x 1
  16. I just have to say out of 2 weeks of reading up about ph. this is the best explanation. I was not confused once! [​IMG] thanks so much keep it coming.

17. My tap water reads 8.5, i adjusted it with ph down until it said 6.5, i waited 5 minutes between readings. Is this safe? I read somewhere that ph can take overnight to settle

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

18. Could I ask what type of water you use? And what bottled would you recommend? Thanks buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum