Update on Patriot Act renewal *Urgent*

Discussion in 'Politics' started by truth214, Feb 8, 2011.

1. We should just have a civil war of the Left vs the Right that way no one but the Government wins.

2. Either way they win

3. Just got this email:

4. oh wow, that's suprising. even more suprising is how many people actually showed up to vote.

5. Indeed. Be sure to check and see how your representative voted because my rep voted YEA and that really pissed me off. I just emailed him:

6. picks up jaw from table. i never thought the tea party would actually make much of a difference

7. Sorry to burst everyones bubble, but unless I'm missing something, this will be brought up again and will be passed. Next time it will only require a simple majority as opposed to the 2/3 that was needed this time.

8. Bubble. Busted.

:(

9. lolwut?
    Republicans: 210 YES and 26 NO
    Democrats: 67 YES and 122 NO

10. This vote was only for three provisions of the law which will expire on 2/28 unless congress/senate think up some way around the Constitution (which they will) to extend this un-Constitutional law. Is that irony? lol

The three in question: access to business records, individual terrorists as agents of foreign powers, and roving wiretaps.

11. Unfortunately, they don't need to think anything up...

Patriot Act Extension Meets a Surprise Setback - Washington Wire - WSJ

12. damn well im a lil late on the update that we won. but i just read that it can most likely be passed anyway. but we still have hope. and oh heres the follow up email i got (sorry if its been posted)

Friends-

WHOA: The House just voted to block the extension of the USA PATRIOT Act. Nobody thought this was possible, but more than 55,000 Demand Progress members signed a petition urging members of Congress to vote against the extension. And it's working! Will you join them, by clicking here?

Protect Civil Liberties: Let The PATRIOT Act Expire! | Demand Progress

The PATRIOT Act makes a mockery of our civil liberties: It lets government officials spy on whomever they want, for any reason, without ever letting them know or giving them a chance to challenge the order in court.

The momentum is on our side, but the fight isn't over yet: The House leadership is almost certain to try again to pass the extension, and the Senate is likely to take the bill up next week. Please help block the extension by clicking here!

Protect Civil Liberties: Let The PATRIOT Act Expire! | Demand Progress

Thanks!

we still have a chance! show this to everyone! facebook,twitter whatever

13. Signed:smoke:

14. I got an email about it:

Jack -

Late last night, Republicans in Congress attempted to jam a renewal of several of the most controversial provisions of the Patriot Act through the House of Representatives. Since the days of George W. Bush, Republicans and even some Democrats have supported these unconstitutional attacks on our personal liberties that have allowed our own government to spy on Americans without a warrant.

However, this time, the members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus stopped them.

That's right, progressives in Congress stood strong and their colleagues in the House followed their lead -- including most Democrats and even two dozen Republicans. It's important that -- even as the Republicans control the House -- under the leadership of Raul Grijalva and Keith Ellison, Progressive Caucus Members are building coalitions across party lines to get the people's business done.

Please thank the members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus right now and encourage them to continue to stand strong if Speaker Boehner tries again.

Let me be clear, if the members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus had not fought so hard or showed real leadership, the vote could have easily gone the other way.

Republicans were only seven votes shy of renewal. But the fight is probably not over; Republicans are already vowing to try again.

This is our chance to make sure every member of the Progressive Caucus knows when they stand up and fight, we take notice. When Democrats act like Democrats and defend our personal liberties, we have their back. And perhaps most importantly, if this comes up for a vote again, we're depending on them to not back down.

After you add your name, we'll personally deliver your thank you to every Democrat who voted to defeat renewal, so that they know exactly where we stand.

Add your name right now and thank the members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus for standing up.

At Democracy for America, we believe that strong national security does not have to come at the expense of our liberty or our values.

Last night, progressive members of Congress stood up and fought for what we believe. They proved that when they stand strong together for our shared values, their colleagues will follow. They proved that when House Democrats stand united, they can win even though Republicans control the gavel.

Let's thank them for having the courage to act and ask them to never back down.

Thank you for everything you do.

- Arshad

Arshad Hasan, Executive Director
    Democracy for America

15. guess what i just saw on fox news today!
    "The war on terror is as dangerous now as it was on 9/11!" "terrorists have infiltrated the country and are turning our own people against them"

then my dad tells me they are going to try and push the patriot act through again. fuck those bastards:mad:

16. "Those bastards" are pretty much everyone in Congress/Senate/White House:

http://forum.grasscity.com/politics/749039-coincidence-big-sis-says-watch-out-terrorizers.html

Sad I know...

17. damn man thats bullshit!
    i feel sorry for the people who actually believe what they see on the news :mad:

18. Ut oh...

19. Campaign for Liberty email: