Update on Patriot Act renewal *Urgent*

Discussion in 'Politics' started by truth214, Feb 8, 2011.

1. You probably remember that the PATRIOT Act is up for renewal this month -- so far you and nearly 50,000 other Americans have signed our petition urging Congress to let it expire.

Now we need your help again. The House is trying to ram through a renewal of the PATRIOT Act TOMORROW, and the bill includes no meaningful reforms:
    The PATRIOT Act makes a mockery of our civil liberties, letting government officials spy on whomever they want, for any reason, without ever letting them know or giving them a chance to challenge the order in court.

Will you call your Congressmember right away, to urge him or her to vote against the renewal of the PATRIOT Act?
    It'll only take a minute and we'll provide you with a suggested script and the contact info for your lawmaker.
    Please click here and call today -- we need to increase the pressure on Congress right away.
    Thanks for making your voice be heard.
    -- The Demand Progress team

2. Most people probably applaud the Patriot Act for "protecting them", but yeah I support

3. tomorrow!? what the fuck. talk about sneak attacking the american public.

4. yea and zero publicity about it

5. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ieX2BnPwPk]YouTube - Patriot Act Update[/ame]

6. The patriot act only applies to people convicted of terrorism. It doesn't apply to everyday american citizens. I am not saying I agree with it, just correcting annoying ignorance on the topic. Thank you.

7. Its not Bush, so the left wing and their media are ok with it.

8. uhmmm you really think they are only keeping tabs on "convicted" "terrorists"?

dude, if they have the tech to watch them, they are certainly watching us. a bit foolish to think they wouldnt... wouldnt you say?

we already have uncovered fusion centers that watch "trends" and not people.

9. [​IMG]

10. Im just guessing but just like our congress you have failed to read the Patriot Act. It applys to everyone. The problem with it is that the Feds just need to say they suspect you of being a terrorist and bam no warrant needed to spy on you, bug your house, arrest you and take you to secrete prisons and so on. They need zero proof, just a gut feeling is enough which blatantly violates the rights of everyone.

And saying it only applys to people convicted of Terrorism is very misinformed. How does one get a fair trial if one is a terrorist? With the Patriot Act someone SUSPECTED of being a terrorist is guilty of being a terrorist with zero proof. They don't get a trial, they get a Military tribunal. How fair do you think that is? A guy from the state military as the judge of someone suspected of being an enemy of the state?

Read the Patriot Act for yourself instead of reading what others say about it. You might learn something.

11. I didn't see Fox talking about it so I guess the Right is ok with it aswell? Why is everything with you about Left Vs Right? You do know that is a divide and conquer technique and you swallowed it whole. Please do us all a favor and learn to critically think instead of just spewing LEFT VS RIGHT in every post you make.

Yes we get it Obama and the left Suck, but your a fool to think Bush and the right are any different. To me Obama seems like Bush on steroids but a lot smoother of a talker.

And to the guy who thinks the Patriot Act only applies to convicted terrorist. If they have been convicted of being a terrorist odds are we(the USA) convicted them and they are already behind bars. Why would you spy on someone behind bars? Its for Suspected Terrorist not convicted.

Wish I could stay and argue longer but I must go and be a debt slave till 5.

12. yup, they sure are.. gotta love bipartisan politics.. :rolleyes:

13. A quick search would have led you to this thread all ready in progress...

http://forum.grasscity.com/politics/746194-repeal-patriot-act.html

Sign here... http://chooseliberty.org/patriotact.aspx?pid=nd2

The Republican-controlled House and Democrat-controlled Senate are scheming to sneak through another renewal of the freedom-stealing "PATRIOT" Act while the American public is not paying attention.

That's why it is vital you sign this petition to your representative and senators DEMANDING they repeal the "PATRIOT" Act.

Campaign for Liberty will fax your petition to your representative and senators.

After you sign, please make a generous contribution to Campaign for Liberty to get more folks in this fight. Campaign for Liberty operates as government should, meaning we will not go into debt. We are entirely dependent on your ongoing financial support.

Repeal the "PATRIOT" Act Petition to:
    My Congressman and U.S. Senators

Whereas: Congress passed the original "PATRIOT" Act in the heat of the 9/11 tragedy without thoroughly reading or debating a bill that would transform our country into a national security state; and

Whereas: The implementation of the national security state has created an expansive, inefficient, and secretive bureaucratic nightmare increasingly being targeted to spy on Americans, even based on anonymous information and political affiliation, all supposedly in the name of "keeping us safe."; and

Whereas: Last year, Congress sneaked though a one-year extension of the "PATRIOT" Act with little public debate; and

Whereas: The Republican-controlled House and Democrat-controlled Senate are ready to once again sneak this bill through while Americans are not paying attention; and

Therefore: To protect Americans from spying conducted by the national security state, I demand you vote against any legislation renewing the so-called "PATRIOT" Act.

Please submit the information below to sign the petition.
    Copies will be faxed to your representative.
    http://chooseliberty.org/patriotact.aspx?pid=nd2

Campaign for Liberty is a 501(c)4 lobbying organization which neither supports nor opposes candidates for public office and claims
    no responsibility for the actions of individuals or groups of individuals who use the Campaign for Liberty logo or name or who
    may claim to act as representatives of the Campaign for Liberty without prior written consent of the Campaign for Liberty.
    © 2011 Campaign For Liberty | 5211 Port Royal Road, Suite 310, Springfield, VA 22151 | (703) 865-7162 (V) | (703) 865-7549 (F)

14. They're both in politics, which doesn't get as much traffic anyway:(
    If this is your thing, link it back in your sig;)

15. :hello:

16. this is great news! can i get a link? i wonder what those crooked fucks will try next:devious:

17. Apparently this is true

18. Just so you realize that your precious republicans (except for a few) are just as full of shit as the democrats (except for a few):

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2011/roll026.xml

Only 26 republicans voted "Nay".

To the other 210 republicans and 67 democrats that voted "YEA" - FUCK YOU.