Unsure whether I'm doing lst right, and whether any more fertilizer will be needed in my grow.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Luigi_Joestar, Oct 30, 2022.

1. Growing a Gelato Auto from quebec cannabis seeds in my closet. 1000W Watt LED Grow Light Panel Full Spectrum Lamp for Indoor Plant Veg Flower from ebay. Germinated on September 30th, in a small coconut fiber pot which I transplanted to the final pot when she was ready. I waited towards the end of week 3 to start the training. I'm watering without runoff and using Espoma organic fertilizers (garden-tone and eventually Flower-tone). I prepared the pro mix with the fertilizer and some worm castings; I probably should have done half of what the instructions said but I thought that rule only applied to liquid nutrients. Anyways, there is what seems to be nutrient burn at the tip of the first leaves. New leaves don't have burnt tips so I am unsure whether it's been resolved or not. Part of the reason I suspect it's nutrient burn is because those espoma instructions are sketchy. 1.5 tablespoons of product per quart of soil when preparing the soil for new plants. That puts you at 6 tablespoons per gallon, and 30 tablespoons for a 5 gallon pot which is what I have. That's almost 2 cups. I did a little less than that, but not too much. When I contacted espoma they said potted plants lose a lot of nutrients when you water, the thing is, I didn't consider I would be watering without runoff which effectively cancels out that logic. Question is, should I keep watering without runoff and just not topdress for the remainder of the grow, or should I find a way to wash it out (which seems pointless, maybe, for dry amendments)? Also, am I taking it too far with the lst lol? Also added a pic of the full grown plant in Flower so you can compare.

Attached Files:

2. Organic nutrients=No runoff, salt based nutrients=runoff always.

3. So it's OK to leave as is, and top dress with bloom later on? I don't think the roots system has reached far enough to make use of everything I put in the soil, and since it was a lot per instructions, I don't know if I should just not add anything else for the remainder of the grow.

4. The quebeccannabisseeds says it'll do 2-3 weeks of veg before entering flower, and it'll be an additional 8 weeks after that before it can be harvested. If my seed sprouted on the 30th, that puts me in week 5. I noticed some white hairs at the top (not sure what that's called).

5. Looks fine to me. A lot of people used to tell me seeing a little burn from time to time is good, lets you know you are just on the line.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hey, thanks for replying. I'm reaching a month after transplant, and I'm not sure whether she is in flower or not, and whether I should top with bloom.

Attached Files:

7. Hard to tell from that far, but it does look like theres some bud developing. I think I see hairs. Is this an autoflower? If its flowering I don't think you would want to top it at this point, but honestly, I've never heard anyone ask that question before so IDK what would happen. If its an autoflower typically people just LTS and don't top anyway.

8. It's an Gelato Auto, and when I said top I meant to top dress with bloom fertilizer, bit of miscommunication there lol.

Attached Files:

9. normally, I just follow the directions on the ferts. Whats it say? It looks to be flowering to me, so I would guess you should, but if the plant is fine, you can probably do whatever.

10. I doesn't look like she needs anything at the moment. I prepped the soil before transplanting and the instructions say to fertilize monthly after transplanting. Like at teaspoon and a half per every 4 inches of pot diameter. The thing is, when I prepped the soil, I remember thinking to myself "this is a hell of a lot more fertilizer than what you would add on a monthly basis. When I contacted the Espoma fertilizer rep and asked whether I would need to follow the monthly instructions given the large amount of fertilizer used in prep. He said that due to soil losing nutrients when you water, that I should fertilize after a month of repotting. I left out the fact that I was watering without runoff, so now I'm left wondering if I should leave her alone or top dress with bloom.

11. I'm curious of the actual power draw on your unit; I've got seven individual grow stations with a range of fixtures and always enjoy gauging my progress against parallel efforts. I've got a pair that are on nearly the same timeline already on short hours as well as another pair still running 18/6 trying to build a bigger base.

12. If you are asking about the light, this is the ebay link 1000W Watt LED Grow Light Panel Full Spectrum Lamp for Indoor Plant Veg Flower | eBay
    And I added the specs in pictures

Attached Files:

13. Sounds like you've thought about the variables. If you are doing something not covered by the pre set amounts, then the outcome could be hard to predict. Why aren't you doing runoff?

14. Auto-flowers typically start flowering around day 35. They don't like being transplanted and are easily stunted when the roots are disturbed. Your light draws 65 watts and will not produce much more than a few ounces at most when running 1 plant. I'd suggest dropping by Organic sinses thread and reading the first few pages.
    Automatics make good Organic sinse

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. The fertilizer is called espoma garden tone. It's a 3-4-4. I was going to follow that with flower tone when she began to flower, but I don't think she's fed on everything that's in the soil. No runoff because I follow this channel called the 420 scene on YouTube with a self proclaimed autoflower guru, and among the tips he says to water according to your container size to avoid depleting the soil of nutrients. In my case, I water with about five 16 oz bottles of reverse osmosis water (I know, not exactly eco friendly), and that usually makes it to the bottom without running off. I you could water to runoff , but you would have to fertilize sooner, I assume.

16. Espoma garden tone is an organic fertilizer and can take 3 weeks or longer to become plant available. That is why you top dress in advance of when you believe the plant will need it. The same with flower tone.

• Like Like x 1
  17. I feel like you may be over thinking it. Just look at the plant, what is it doing?

18. Thanks for the tip!

• Like Like x 1
  19. I'm of the same opinion about your light; if it's within your budget a second unit would greatly improve your potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I was about to say I might be over thinking it lol. First time grower here, and I do believe that this is something we suffer from haha