Unsure if im somehow killing my plants.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by Matresa, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Hey everyone. I'm a beginner grower, just very recently started, and I noticed that the tips of my leafs on one of my plants is turning slightly yellow. Now from what i've researched, seems like it could be a lot of things, varying from missing nutrients to even possibly over-watering the plants. 

Since as I said i'm quite a beginner, I would really like to hear the opinions of some of you who have more experience in the subject. 

[​IMG]

So these right here are my plants. They are about 3 weeks old (not 100% sure). I'm not using any super fancy soil, I just went to a gardening place in town and they had these plastic bags with fertilized soil that they made there. It was supposed to come with the main nutrients I see everyone says are important for growing (N, K, P).

The strain, well I wouldn't be able to tell you with 100% accuracy what it is, but I got the seeds off some Jamaican-purple-ish weed I had gotten.Here is a pic of a chunk of that weed I had.

[​IMG]

I keep them outside, they're receiving around 10 hours of sunlight a day. I DO think that I MIGHT be overwatering them; i've seen many people say it's suggested around every 3 days, but I was actually watering them every day. 

Temperatures here have been around 78-82, but i've noticed that the soil dries up very quickly. Maybe i'm just a paranoid and think it's too dry, but it just seems to me like if I watered them every 3 days they'd die of dehydration. But anyways, haven't watered them in over a day and not doing so for another two days, want to give it a shot at least.

I don't have a Ph testing kit so I really wouldn't be able to know what its at. Another thing that has me a little worried is that it's actually been really windy here lately, and the plants seemed to start to bend. So that's when I just did my little 'macgyver' to help the plant stay still. The other plant seems to be bending a little too, but not as much as this one so I haven't done the same thing to the other one. 

[​IMG]

You can see in that picture how the very tip of the leaf is slightly yellowish. Not really sure why that could be, and the weirdest thing is that the other one seems fine, and i've watered it the same amount of time as this one.

On the other hand, the other plant does have a little something that i'm not sure about either. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

You can see something else is like sprouting. I have no idea if it's more weed or if it could be some other random plant that somehow began to grow in there. Don't know if I should touch it or not, since if it's somehow stuck with the plant in the roots i'm afraid I could end up just messing it up altogether.

Anyways, those are a few of my concerns for now. As I said, quite the beginner here so sorry if i've asked some questions that some of you may find silly. I'll probably be back pretty soon with some more questions :p

2. your bagged soil from the gardening store could be too "hot" for your young plants.... you don't really need "npk nutrients" for the first several weeks of plant life. Depending on the soil you got, it could have all sorts of stuff in it.... time released nutrients... miracle grow stuff.... who knows.... often times that will kill a seedling off. do you have drainage holes in the bottoms of your cups? you might try putting a bit more soil around the stem to support it... basically burry more of the stem in dirt if it is falling over. Put them in an area where they get a breeze and it will help to strengthen the stem a bit. 

3. What they said ^ plus more light you need at least 16 hr a day during veg.

Yeah I do have holes on the cups, and wow I don't know how I hadn't thought of simply putting some more soil near the stem. During the first hours of daylight I have the cups between two other bigger plants that protect them a bit from the wind, but don't cover the sunlight, and in the afternoon I move them to the other side of the yard and place them in a small cardboard box that again protects them a little from the wind.

I'm not sure what to do about the soil though then, is there a way for me to know what could the soil have? Should I maybe move them to another pot/cup with a mixture of the prefertilized soil and just some normal soil? 

That's really not possible for me to do. Sun rises here at like 5.30am, sets at about 5.30pm everyday. Doesn't really change, so 10-12 hours of sunlight is really about as much as there can be for me. 

5. #5 CE1122, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2014
    You need supplemental lighting. Your plants are going to start going into flower before there ready.... Read up in the beginner section bro

Not trying to be a dick...but if you don't know the amount of lighting needed for different stages of growth you have a lot to learn....

Don't worry I know I have a ton to learn. I didn't really plan this out or put much thought into it, just my sister and I thought we would give it a try and some seeds actually germinated. So we're just trying to learn as we go. 

I wouldn't be too surprised if these two plants don't go all that well, but at least i'll learn a lot and be better prepared and informed for the next plants we try. 

7. You don't need supplemental lighting or anything like that for outdoor. Some people have a one track mind and only know one way. Keep learning and trying, if you fail, it's still a good lesson learned. Your outdoor will start budding around July/August and be ready to harvest starting the end of September as long as you take good care of it during the summer and keep the pests/diseases away. The worst thing about outdoor is you have to wait until next year to try and fix the mistakes you'll make this year!