Unlawful Charges (NEED HELP)

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by Colostomy Bag, Aug 14, 2011.

1. #1 Colostomy Bag, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2011
    (before I start babbling away, bear in mind I'm living in the UK)

My brother is 17, and was found in possession of 2 joints by a copper about 2 months ago. In the UK when you get caught with cannabis under the age of 18 you're supposed to be taken to a police station and reprimanded with a parent or carer present. Well, the copper confiscated the weed and then wrote my brother up a ticket for a cannabis warning which included an £80 fine. About a week later, we get a letter in the mail saying that the fine has been dropped due to the fact that the copper fucked up and charged him as an adult, but that he may contact us with an alternative method of disposal.

So when my brother was getting busted he signed a confession slip which said he agreed to the on the spot warning and fine. The system in the UK is in place to deal with minor crimes without having to go through courts and without more severe punishments being handed out - but since the copper took my bros confession and interviewed him and whatever without a parent or carer there, SURELY it was unlawful, and he'd be able to get the charges dropped?

I REALLLLLYYY need help on this, it could potentially change the course of my brothers life, I've looked into it as much as I can but I can't find any concrete evidence to let my brother go out on a limb like that. Because if it doesn't work, he's going to get a criminal record, and then he's fucked for the rest of his life.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, they've been bothering him for months now. The incident was in May and they said they were going to come by the house to reprimand him but the person never did, and now they phone him once a week trying to organise a time for us to go to the station. He just got a call today saying that if we don't get in contact soon they'll be forced to report it straight to the courts.

The police officer is frankly a fucking cunt and the fact that he has the time to follow up shit like this during all of these riots is absolutely ridiculous. ANY legal advice would be helpful, I mean the way this cop allegedly treated my brother is disgusting and he deserves to be put right in the middle of the shit in Tottenham. My brother said that he was called a fucking idiot at least 3 times, and his friend told his behavior was 'cuntish' for not saying that half of the weed was his as well. Complete fucking bullshit, who the fuck is that prick to talk to him like that for smoking some fucking herb.

Anyway guys we're desperate here so PLEASE help!

2. #2 Colostomy Bag, Aug 14, 2011
    bump....

3. Thats extremely unlawful. He doesnt have much to worry about. Im not an expert on the UK laws though, (I live in New York) but I wouldn't sweat it. Hes a minor, caught with slight possession of some plant matter thats looked down upon in society. keep me updated bro, don't worry too much-tell your brother that

4. so i mean.....what do you think we should do?

5. #5 SplitGenetics, Aug 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    what should you do? Chill the fuck out is what you should deffinetly do. You have nothing to do with it when it comes down to it. Same for ya brother, it's herb. Chill dude

6. i can chill later, right now i'm trying to help my brother fight this shit

7. #7 InaHaze, Aug 14, 2011
    You def need a blade from your neck of the woods with some experience and knowledge.

If you have a court date you must go to that but if this guy is calling and inviting you to the pig pen then obviously say no thanks, caller id and see his # and ignore. Whatever he wants from you is obviously going to fuck you over so unless hes still tied up in the charge then lawyer up homie.

Unless it's potentially like the states where if he has said he will issue a warrant for your arrest. SO then you may get snatched up going through a checkpoint.

Getting a charge, paying a fine, and then saying good day is one thing, but getting tied up in all this bullshit that comes along that drags on for fucking years is the real fuck job. good luck

8. #8 SplitGenetics, Aug 14, 2011
    Fight what? fight the system over 2 Js? lol good luck. Just have your brother take the verrry small consequence...

9. small consequence now, say he runs somebody over by accident and kills them in 10 years, he's on the system as somebody who takes drugs, it's just going to stack against him. i know that's probably quite a drastic example but you get the gist.

10. #11 SplitGenetics, Aug 14, 2011
    lmfao... you seriously gotta chill now bro. Take this somewhere else if your taking herb this seriously. Especially since he IS a minor

11. You have no idea what you're talking about, just stop now.

12. my bro just got off the phone with the police station....the officer was busy but the person on the phone gave us an email address and said he want us in on wednesday....trying to get in touch with a lawyer, but until then the best advice we can get is from here, so where my gc lawyers at????

13. #15 KEEPONTOKING, Aug 14, 2011
    Its all a big fuck up by the sounds of things, if he's under 18 your right he should have been taken to the station then an adult/perent is called.

The cop has simply got his age mixed up and treated him as an adult, go the station with your brother and show your face and also inform them of there mistake they have made, also request for all the charges and cosntant harrasment to stop as the evidence has now more than likely been destroyed now anyways..

End of the day its there big fuck up, I realy don't think you have much to worrie about honestly man chill abit..

Peace..

Keepontoking...

14. #16 SplitGenetics, Aug 14, 2011
    I know exactly what I'm talking about bro. I've been in his shoes a few times. Thats why im saying its not too big of an issue. Plus the officer has fault on his part. Get a lawyer if you want I guess but what you want people of gc to do? lol not much we/you can do.

15. Call a lawyer and stop asking for advice from complete strangers on a marijuana forum that likely have zero knowledge about UK laws.

16. USA and England are two different countries when it comes to cannabis laws...

17. #19 SplitGenetics, Aug 14, 2011
    Has he ever been caught before?

18. Hope this helps. Sounds to me like as long as he hasnt been in trouble with the poilice before, & no possession charge before, he gets a formal warning..

"On 29th January 2004, cannabis had been reclassified from a Class B to a Class C drug in the UK, but as of Jan 26th 2009, the meddling politicians reclassified it back to Class B. And they wonder why people get confused!
    Here's a summary of what reclassification means:

NOW: CLASS B CANNABIS
    Illegal.
    If you are under 18, you will be arrested and given a formal warning.
    Up to 5 years in jail for possession
    Up to 14 years in jail for supplying or dealing

Before: CLASS C CANNABIS
    It's still illegal
    If you are under 18, you will be arrested and given a formal warning
    Up to 2 years in jail for possession
    Up to 14 years in jail for supplying or dealing"