unique bass lines

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by oigo, Jul 29, 2006.

1. What I really miss in todays Rock music is the lack of unique bass lines. The bass seems to be an instrument to support the guitars in some ways..or to make the overall sound 'thicker'. A few decades ago, rock music was groovy...now it's becomes broing ..and I feel it has to do with the bass playing a minor role....:(

2. sublime!
    60's,70's and 90's were the only good times for music

3. Are You Crazy? What about before the 60's when The Blues and Jazz were invented? With out that, bands like sublime wouldn't ever have existed. Plus the 40's and 50's had some kick ass music, and they were deffinatly "good times" for music. I think if you listened to more styles of music, you wouldn't have made that statement.

And oigo, if you are disappointed with the Bass lines in todays rock music, try listening to other styles of music that have interesting Bass lines. PM me and i'll send you a list of stuff to check out if you want.

4. Well yeah, it seems most of todays modern rock the bass line is almost identical to the guitar riffs. It's a shame if you want to see variety and if your like me look for things in the music more so than the lyrics/singing. I'm sure theres still a lot of bands that don't have the lame bass lines but they're deff not what you'll find from the basic pop scene of music these days.

5. Primus. Nuff said.

6. Anyone know Bootsauce. Their bassist is fucking insane. They got some really funky shit.

7. Antidote and Major Accident

2 punk bands that use Bass incredibly well.

Check out Antidote- Money
    Major Accident- Bad Company

8. Yea Primus. Yes has got some pretty cool lines too,

Frank Zappa.

And lately I heard of a band called 'Nuclear Rabbit'

Pretty cool bass.

9. Ok, heres my list of cool ass bands who use their bassist like the mighty thunder itself.
    1. Primus
    2. Les Clapool's Fearless Flying Frog Brigade
    3. Tool
    4. Red Hot Chili Peppers
    5. Rage Against The Machine
    6. Phish
    7. The Raconteurs
    8. The Number Twelve Looks Like You

10. Though at times it's just used to build a nice solid progression underneath Omar's wilin' guitar solos, not that there's anything wrong with that, but when The Mars Volta's bass breaks through it's fucking sweet. Flea is of course amazing on deloused and the bass by Juan on Frances the Mute is fucking sweet. Check out "Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt" for both and intense spacy bass riff followed by probably the crucialest bass solo I've ever heard.

11. ok. let me put it this way. the reason the bass is even in the rock music today is to be a "transaxle" of sorts to follow the drums, and translate it into a rhythm for the guitars to follow. it acts as the middle man. and yes it is to achieve a thicker darker sound, but it also helps the guitar players immensely if they dont have an ear to follow the drums. listen to just a drum and bass playing. the bass guitar is following the drum beats...thats my two cents.

oh yeah, the 80's sucked ass, but anything from the 40s to the 90's is good...late 80's produced some modern good bands. late 90s sucked ass.

12. Your judging the 80's by the wrong shit. The 80's had so many killer bands, way more than the 70's imo.

13. Umphrey's McGee. All In Time. Bonnaroo, 6/16/06.

Bass.

14. Rush and old school Metallica have some amazing bass lines.

15. being a bassist myself, i agree to an extent. put on mtv, and if you even catch music, ur absolutly right. but thats limited to mainstream. theres still some siiiiiiick bassists puttin out albums. Marcus Miller, for example, put out "Silver Rain" just last year and you should here the bass... dl it if you dont mind pirates. what?

16. Two words: Victor Wooten. He's touring with Chick Corea's Elektric Band this November. I can't wait!

17. Bela Flec, Oysterhead, Primus, any Les Claypool.

18. Mike Dirnt should get brownie points for making the Longview bassline while on acid, then forgetting it and remembering it a day later after getting high and jamming.

19. Hahahahahahhaha

Sorry I'm done. hahahhaha

But seriously, you've gotta be kidding. You think jazz and blues were invented in the 60s? You need to brush up on your history a bit man :rolleyes: The 60s was when the west coast cool was in(as far as jazz) and blues made popular. Big bands have been around since the 20s... which is where jazz really hit it big.

If you want to hear unique bass lines listen to some funk.

20. Yes, Metallica's got some wicked basslines on Kill 'em All. Rest in peace, Cliff Burton