Ungrateful or ?

Discussion in 'Real Life Stories' started by West Coast Blunts, Aug 1, 2013.

1. SO my son just turned 19 a couple weeks back and I promised him if he got a 4.0, after his bday I would buy him a car. So not to type much because I'm really medicated, I found a 2008 dodge caliber 5500. He says it's a nice and he would be grateful but does not see himself in that type of car. He thinks it's more of a "motherly family vehicle", he would rather me spend less money and get him a motorcycle.

What the fuck do you think Grass City? I would like input from the younger members don't be shy.

[​IMG]

2. Fuck that's a dope car, I think he's crazy to not be on his knees begging for it. I'm 19 and I started with a rusty grand am my dad paid a grand for... still have shitty cars to this day

Sent from my XT907 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Just give him the $5500 and let him buy a vehicle he would actually enjoy. I personally don't think the Caliber is a 'Motherly/family' car. it's got somewhat of a sporty look to it. If I was a 19yo kid, I'd drive it.

4. Def would not get him a motorcycle..grab him a truck/auto trader give him a $ limit and let him choose.

5. I don't know why people expect to be driving a Mercedes or something snazzy for their first car.
    My first car was a beat up oldsmobile, I was just happy to have my own car though. Eventually saved up cash to buy a car I really wanted. Jesus, I would be more than happy with the vehicle you got him.  

6. Dodges sucks. Calibers are dodges worst creation.

7. #7 Jumpfruit, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013
    I was given a £350, 20yr old Citroën AX. I couldn't afford insurance though, ans thus I have not gotten on the road since I passed 18 months ago. If your son is in a position where he is being offered a new, safe, good-looking car he should be very grateful. You shouldn't buckle to meet his needs. Definitely don't get him a motorbike. I had a moped and they're not only dangerous, but they're close to useless in the deep winter. Really, this is a matter of your parenting style. I recommend you tell your son that you want to put him up in something safe and reliable and that he should be unwaveringly grateful for such a car given to him.Sent from my GT-I9300 using Grasscity Forum mobile app

8. I think the better question is, why have u chosin that specific car for him? Youre the one buyin it after all..

9. Whatever you give him you oughta let him know he is lucky to get anything. I'd be ecstatic if I was given a car by my mom. 

10. Sit down and explain to him that it doesn't matter what the car looks like. Tell him this car was a good deal, you can't return it, it's safe and if he doesn't want it he can buy the car that he wants with his own money.

I wouldn't let my kid (not that I have one) drive a motorcycle though.

11. I think you made a good choice tbh. You got him a vehicle that's not only safe, but its got enough room for other ppl, luggage, etc. I can see where he's coming from though, it's not the slickest ride I've ever seen. But ask yourself this, do you trust your 19yr old son not to do something stupid on a motorcycle? A good friend of mine was in a motorcycle accident about a year ago and he's still recovering. Its not sonething to fuck with. Keep the SUV and tell him he can buy his own motorcycle in a few years when he's got a steady income and can pay for it himself. Then he'll have 2 vehicles lol.

12. #12 Gr33nPeace, Aug 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2013
    I'm 21 and I'll tell you what, he's ungrateful as all hell. When I graduated my dad bought me an '87 silverado with a blown transmission. He had a transmission that fit but guess who had to install it? He "held my hand" through installing it but I felt like I earned the truck.

13. He probably isn't ungrateful per say as he is disappointed. He probably expected something he would have rather wanted since he worked for the 4.0, but I wouldn't have argued if my parents wanted to get me a free car. 

I pay for my own 2003 subaru Wrx and the transmission blew and everything, I am only 19 as well. 

I mean shit man, if that is what you want to get him go for it. You DID promise him a car if he got a 4.0, maybe you could let him choose what type of car he would want? I mean it is going to be his. It's not like he refused the car you offered, if he refused it then he would be ungrateful. You might be able to find an even cheaper one he would enjoy. 

14. He does sound ungrateful. Coming from an ol school type person, I bought my own vehicle when I was 16 by working part time; the ability to work requiring I keep a 4.0.

Ended up buying a ford ranger with none of the comforts or reliability of the car you took a pic of. From my point of view, he's ungrateful, but I bought a nice home in southern California before I was 25 making 14k a year with no help, parents, etc. I'm a unique case though. Would have appreciated having a parent hand me the keys to a newer car like you're doing, but it probably wouldn't have driven me to work as hard to achieve what I have.

Also, having driven motorcycles since I bought my first one at 9 years old by collecting cans off the side of the highway, having 20 years experience riding on and off road and having enough experience to be offered a motorcycle training job by the California chp, I'd say the stupidest thing a parent could do is buy their unbalanced, testerone driven child a machine with no safety features like a motorcycle, Id say your asking for trouble.

The first time he's going 90 (and he will) with a passenger on the back and a car pulls out in front of him, he'll wish he'd taken the car you offered, as his life flashes before his eyes. Trust me on this, I've taught a lot of folks to ride motorcycles and even seen people with 40 yrs exp. make stupid mistakes. 

Give him the car and tell him to stop being sour and remind him he's got it made.

:D

15. I'd say get the car, but then the kids probably just gonna trash it since its not really what he wants. But at the same time he's probably gonna do some dumb shit with a motorcycle.

Tell him those types of cars are less likely to be pulled over. Tons of them out there, not attention drawing.

Fuck it, get him a moped!

16. Thanks for the replies, he must have smoked a little or something he came back with a totally new view. He just says he doesn't feel comfortable when it comes to depth perception and the vehicle shape. I'll add he did buy his own 2003 mustang before this, and he will pay insurance etc... Just so you know that's just a general pic of a 2008 caliber from google, the one I bought is newer and an SRT version.

17. He'll get used to it

18. First world problems.

19. Either this car, or public transportation.

I would kill to have that car.  

20. It's free. He'll never be grateful. Buy him a bicycle.

In all seriousness tho, ppl tend to not appreciate things unless they worked hard for the money they used to buy it.