underground grow setup help please

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by weed4us, Aug 16, 2011.

1. As of right now i have a plant which is 6 inches tall. i am having trouble keeping it invisible. its in a hollowed out speaker which is working but if someone went into my closet they would wonder why i have a speaker with light leaking out of the back.
    Next summers plans are to order seeds online and do a 20-40 plant outdoor grow. (i'm surrounded by state park, i believe there is 3 within 10 miles of me). I have an idea which would work but i need a fellow stoner's opinion. I want a mother plant for each of the 4 strains i am getting. i can't keep tall bushy mothers and clones all in my closet or i would get busted. I brainstormed for along time, but sadly i am down to 1 possible solution. i have a dried up creek right by my house that i could easily turn into a 'grow room'. What i mean by this is that i can dig into the side of the bank and make myself a 5x5 room. Its on our property and i only have 1 neighbor that passes by this creek. it will be deep in the woods so it can't be seen by the road.
    Problems:1. underground temp is too cold for pot
    2.I live in a state that has winter and i need to start cloning in
    march-april
    3. supporting the above ground so it doesn't collapse

if you forsee any other issues let me know. I want to have a successful first outside grow so all questions/concerns/support is all appreciated! thanks.

2. How do u plan on getting power into your grow room?

3. I am thinking of doing the same thing in my woods. How to get power out to the grow op is something I'm also concerned about. Either you secretly rout power from your house to the room by using a source no one will notice and bury your extension cord or use a generator.

4. So ultimately is this an indoor or an outdoor grow? I can't tell from what you're describing.

Why would you get busted if it's in your closet? Parents?

5. For the power source I'm going to tap into a shed we have 100ft or so from the spot. I can buy one and bury it a couple inches under.

Yes my parents think pot makes you stupid so they are against it.

6. So you cant mange to hide more than one plant indoors.. but mange to build an under ground grow room in your back yard? :confused: This is very interesting

7. who would go out in the middle of the woods to find a underground grow room? who would search your room and come acrossed a pot plant in a hollowed out speaker? point proven lol

8. This is in the middle of the woods or in your backyard? I hope you have a car because you will need one to go out ans buy supplies to get this done. And i gope you have atleast 2000$ to get this started. If not dont bother man.. I have a feeling your under 18 and had a wild dream last night that will make you super rich

9. i am not under 18 and think about it, a cop is going to raid a house, not search through the woods for a trapdoor. $2000?? what am i paying someone to make it? i never said i was going to build a house underground.
    costs: dirt-covered
    hps- 5$ each online
    table: can make one out of scrap wood
    nutes: not needed because only making them big enough to go outside
    power cord: not sure on price but it wouldnt be too bad

so no, i don't know where you got that ridiculous number but it wouldnt cost over $200.

i'm simply doing a 5x5 hole in the ground and taking wood to support ceiling and covering it up. I came to this forum to get opinions about the stability of the dirt walls and ceiling.
    "I have a feeling your under 18 and had a wild dream last night that will make you super rich"
    actually it was a wild thought i had. and the purpose of the setup is to get many plants ready for the outdoors.
    you must not be much of a stoner because calling my thoughts and dreams wild and unrelistic. I love plants and always have. Your more than welcome to add your input but make it worth my while.

10. How deep will your hole be? And how would you hide your entrance to said hole? And the dirt doesn't need to be held. The dirt is very compact and will not collapse in unless your digging in sand. Or you live somewhere that has a monsoon season. If you do use plywood to hold it back.

I also would like to know your $5 HPS site because a ballast will cost $50+ And you don't think your parents will notice a $20 plus jump in the electric bill? Or a power cord running from the shed to to outside then under the ground? What if pops unplugs it the cord or follows where it goes? And if your vegging underground you want MH not HPS. And Anton stoner or not is right your idea is unrealistic and a bit crazy.

My idea would be to MOVE OUT!!!! Crazy right? Then grow, move into a studio or somewhere cheap. You are 18 and can leave the nest.

Or my other idea i dreamed up typing this rent a back hoe, buy a smart box storage unit get a generator and put that in the ground. Then grow away.

Also fans run $100+ and good carbon scrubbers run $100+ if you what 1/2 decent stuff.

Good luck. Though
    Hello

11. Kids an idiot,
    Your grow would be

A 50 watt hps bulb screwed into a regular lamp vertically hanging over your bagseed plants in dirt from your backyard. Water from the creek. All sitting on your scrape build table.

12. i am certain you can find a better wa to do things
    if you're gonna go partially outdoors then you may as well let the sun do most of the work for you, ever heard of a walipini greenhouse?
    how about building a small scale one, if you follow the instructions given in the pdf i linked below the greenhouse thats like 70x20 or so is only 500 to build, so a smaller one is gonna be a little cheaper or about the same if you also use more expensive materials to improve the design slightly

if you're already diggin, may as well

but from experience imma tell you that this idea to dig a hole is a hella lot more owrk than you think it is right now
    if you're gonna dig a hole, leave the top of and let nature water for you, the walls will just help keep your plants hidden from view

from experience i would say you're not as ready to grow as you wish you were, because i've been there i would advise you to give up on growing for a little while
    and if you totally ignore that advice, at least look up cortos outdoor grow guide and stuff like that and learn absolutely everything you can off of this site before you even plan out your grow

http://www.bensoninstitute.org/Publication/Manuals/Walipini.pdf

13. First thought is... Well... not good.

14. #14 Squeak, Aug 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011
    You didn't really figure in any of the cost of shoring up the ceiling/walls. If your room is underground and is a 5 x 5 space you are going to need to either hold your "roof of dirt" up from collapsing from the weight. If you are using the "roof" as the trap door to get access then you are going to have to use something to support your walls from collapsing in the spring w/ rains / snow melt ect. This probably means driving some form of post into the ground a good bit and using some relatively thick plywood to make your walls or ceiling. Since you are using the wood for your ceiling you should try and set it up similar to how a basement is laid out. The edges of your plywood will obviously be resting on the ground, in theory then you have post that support beams that hold up that plywood. Your "beams could easily be 2x4s and post could easily be 4x4s. You'll need a saw to cut these to length but for a 5x5 room. Have you thought of what happens if your "roof" leaks?

15. weed4us 2 grand goes towards the underground building, its got to have support and be waterproof and all kinds of things that cost more than a few dollars. you cant just dig a whole in the ground burry a power cord that leads to it and call it good. take the others advise and do a speaker, with all the stealth systems out there thers no way they would find it. and unless you have told anyone (beginners advise you shouldn't tell anyone... at all) and if your only growing for personal i doubt a swat team is gona come bursting through your door. speaker cabinet or crawl space is the way to go