Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Underage?

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by GspAffliction, May 20, 2012.

1. Is it bad for a under 18 person to smoke weed? I have heard facts about it does not cause brain damage and others that said it does.

2. Why would it cause brain damage? I guarantee most of the people on here started smoking before 18 including me. As long as teens use it in a responsible manner I don't see anything wrong with it.

3. I mean does it kill brain cells.

4. #4 Storm Crow, May 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2012
    Pot May Not Shrink Teens' Brains After All (news - 2006)
    Medical News: Pot May Not Shrink Teens' Brains After All - in Neurology, General Neurology from MedPage Today

A preliminary DTI study showing no brain structural change associated with adolescent cannabis use (full - 2006) A preliminary DTI study showing no brain structural change associated with adolescent cannabis use

Effects of Alcohol and Combined Marijuana and Alcohol Use During Adolescence on Hippocampal Volume and Asymmetry (full - 2006) Effects of Alcohol and Combined Marijuana and Alcohol Use During Adolescence on Hippocampal Volume and Asymmetry

The Mental Health Risks of Adolescent Cannabis Use (full - 2006)
    The Mental Health Risks of Adolescent Cannabis Use

Moderate cannabis use not harmful to the brain of adolescents, M R I study finds
    (news - 2006)
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

In addition, cannabis is a neuroprotectant and cannabinoids have been shown to help in traumatic brain injury.

How hash became a smash in brain trauma research (news - 1998)
    MAPS: How hash became a smash in brain trauma research

Cannabinoids and brain injury: therapeutic implications (full - 2002)
    http://www.ukcia.org/research/CannabinoidsAndBrainInjury.pdf

Cannabinoids As Neuroprotective Agents in Traumatic Brain Injury. (abst - 2004)
    Bentham Science Publishers

Now to me, something that is a neuroprotectant doesn't seem likely to damage the brain. However, an adolescent brain is not an adult brain, and the closer to 18, the better. Personalities may not be fully formed, and it is easier for the young to slip into an "amotivational syndrome" pattern, especially if they have no active, older, stoner role models.

Granny

5. [quote name='"GspAffliction"']

I mean does it kill brain cells.[/quote]

No marijuana does NOT kill brain cells.
    The only problem I honestly see with smoking at a young age is maturity.
    You have to be mature enough to smoke and still carry on with life like normal...many people are not able to do that until they are 18+

6. Couldn't have said it better .... I've had this argument lots before. At 15. 16. You don't "get it". You smoke all the time. Every chance you get. It's not till later in life u realize u don't need (or even want to be) high all of the time.

I don't know the specifics of brain damage, cuz well I'm not a dr. But I can deff tell u that at younger ages you need to have motivation to get ahead in life and weed just zaps that from most younger users.

I know. I know. We will get a shit load of teen smokers telling me bullshit man u don't know what you're talking about etc etc.

It's cool... Anyone who is older THOUGHT they knew everything when they were 17 or 18 too.

7. Nope! Listen to granny, friend. She knows what she is talking about.

If you can be mature about it, it does no harm.

8. if anything i would smoke before your 18 because then if you get caught its all off your record at 18 =/

9. Not to sound callous, but are you really expecting anyone here to say "yes?"

10. pot, wacky weeed???

[​IMG]

don't believe anything the government says about pot...listen to real doctors that pay attention to actual studies (not fabricated correlation propaganda pieces)..oh and Granny Storm Crow...pay attention to her.:hello:

11. Does cannabis kill brain cells? :laughing:

Only if they are cancerous!

Marijuana Chemical May Fight Brain Cancer (news - 2009)
    Marijuana Chemical May Fight Brain Cancer

Cannabidiol Enhances the Inhibitory Effects of Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol on Human Glioblastoma Cell Proliferation and Survival (full - 2010) http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/cmu/Brain_Cancer_Study.pdf

For normal brain cells, cannabinoids promote the growth of new brain cells! :hello:

Chronic Low Doses of a Cannabinoid Causes New Brain Cell Formation (news - 2010)
    CANNABINATION » NIH

Non-psychoactive CB2 cannabinoid agonists stimulate neural progenitor proliferation (full - 2006)
    Non-psychoactive CB2 cannabinoid agonists stimulate neural progenitor proliferation

Hon, if cannabinoids protect the brain cells from damage, kill cancerous brain cells, and promote the growth of new brain cells, it seems very unlikely that it kills normal brain cells!

12. Hmmmm, why do YOU care? lol

13. ^^^ loool. so how old are you, op?

14. other then wanting to kill myself half the time...

not being able to talk to other people

i would say no.... no harm done what so ever :)

sallllllll goood

15. [quote name='"DankBarbie"']

No marijuana does NOT kill brain cells.
    The only problem I honestly see with smoking at a young age is maturity.
    You have to be mature enough to smoke and still carry on with life like normal...many people are not able to do that until they are 18+[/quote]

That's dead on.

16. If he isn't 18, at least he's mature and responsible enough to actually find out if he's going to fuck up his mind by smoking weed at an earlier age. Some people bought into the government propaganda. I know I did. Then I researched about weed and found out if it had any side effects at my age. Maybe you didn't, maybe you were being ignorant, stubborn, or just didn't give a fuck about anything.

Wait what? I really high. Disregard everything I just said. I rambled for so long. I'd delete it but it would take forever on my phone. Wait... fuck. I was gonna say something...

Maybe weed doesn't damage your brain, but its great at inhibiting short term memory while under the influence!

17. Hahaha youngin

18. With what? :confused:

19. Why do you care why he cares?:smoke:
    Almost, but I know some people over the age of 18 that are less responsible than some people under the age of 18. People don't automatically mature at 18, which is why I don't like how the system works. Not that I can think of any alternative other than every individual taking a 'maturity test' every year or something. Even then who would be the person to set what maturity actually is?

20. Touche. I'll go now :bolt:lol