Under the Sun Breeding

Discussion in 'Cannabis Breeding' started by UnderTheSunGenetics, Dec 12, 2021.

1. #1 UnderTheSunGenetics, Dec 12, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    Hello everyone,

Been a GC member since '09 but wanted to create a new account to document my breeding projects. Quick little background on me: I've been gardening since a young boy. It all started helping my mom with our rose bushes and veggie garden. I've been gardening ever since. In regard to cannabis, I've been growing for the past 5 years. Recently, I decided I wanted to get into the breeding aspect of it as well. I'm totally new to this, so I'll be documenting this from the beginning.

Please feel free to follow me on Instagram @ underthesungenetics

For my first project I'll be using In House Genetics Slurricane #7 S1 and their Cherry Gorilla F2's. All 5 of the fem Canes germed, while only 6 of the 11 Cherry Gorillas did.
    [​IMG]

Within 36 hours, all plants had broken soil. The slurricanes actually broke soil within 12 hours.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  2. #2 UnderTheSunGenetics, Dec 12, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
    For the veg and clone area of this project, I'll be using a spare closet with custom cabinets. Ideally, I'd like to use an area with more space, but this is what I have to work with right now. This is my veg cabinet, it's split into 2 sections with a couple HO T5 bulbs mounted on the top. After pheno hunting, most of these plants will be eliminated.

[​IMG]

After breaking soil, they stretched a little bit - especially the Cherry Gorillas. So, I propped them up to get them closer to the lights. Due to the limitations on my space and height, I'll have to take clones somewhat often to replace vegging plants. For now, they will stay in the solo cups for a couple weeks probably until they need to be transplanted to bigger pots.

Cabinets directly to the right of my veg area will be used for my supply area.
    [​IMG]

And directly above this are two areas that will be my cloning area. The lights havent been mounted yet.
    [​IMG]

When the plants have grown some, clones will be taken from the Cherry Gorillas first to determine sex. These will be used as the male plant. After that, clones will be taken of the Slurricanes and flowered out to see which plant I will use as the mother. All flowering/ breeding will be done in a grow tent. Until then, I'm just trying to keep them all healthy and growing properly. This project as well as future ones will all be done 100% organic.

Please feel free to respond with any advice, questions, or criticisms. Thanks for following along

Instagram: @ underthesungenetics

• Like Like x 3
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I'll be following along

• Like Like x 2
  4. Great read! Need to make a few adjustments in my plan. Appreciate that Granny!

• Like Like x 2
  5. #6 UnderTheSunGenetics, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    So today I transplanted the plants from solos into bigger pots. They're 0.7 gal pots. I could've buried the stems of the Cherry Gorillas (top shelf) a little more, but I wanted to keep them exposed as they are so that in a week or so when I start tying them down, I'll have a little more stem to work with. I plan to LST them pretty aggressively.

[​IMG]

The poor things were hungry; you can see they were drooping and starting to lose their color.

[​IMG]

Instead of topdressing in the solos, I up-potted them in some fresh soil to get them some food that way.

[​IMG]

Roots weren't in dire need of transplant, but I'm sure they'll be much happier in the bigger pots. I also inoculated the roots with mycorrhizae when I initially planted the seeds. Those fungi will actually allow the plant to uptake nutrients better, and that could've been the reason they were hungry already.

• Like Like x 1
  6. #7 UnderTheSunGenetics, Dec 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    In addition to up-potting, I also had some compost tea brewing up.

[​IMG]

I just use a total of 4 cheap aquarium air stones; not the best, but they get the job done.

For this tea, I used the following recipe:

Base:
    • worm castings
    • blackstrap molasses

Extras:
    • kelp meal - low source of nitrogen and potassium as well as readily available trace minerals and over 60 naturally chelated minerals
    • alfalfa meal - source of nitrogen and potassium plus a broad spectrum of other minerals, vitamins, amino acids, and the important growth hormone Triacontanol
    • insect frass (dry) - this particular source of insect frass was made from the excrement from larvae of black soldier flies. It has an estimated NPK of 3-2-4 as well as providing a lot of microbes. Organic amendments normally have to be broken down in the soil before available to the plant, but this insect frass provides readily available chitin. Since I didn't top dress, this doesn't really matter, but the chitin is immediately available after being watered in during a top dress. Pretty nice. Chitin causes an auto-immune response that signals a plant to produce natural toxins which fend off its natural enemies like pests and fungal pathogens.
    • azomite - contains a broad spectrum of over 70 minerals and trace elements

[​IMG]

Watered the plants in with this. I like to use different tea recipes as well as top dress with different things so that I'm always introducing different sources of nutrients to the soil. This tea will also provide a crap ton of microbes to the soil. Also gave some of the tea to my plants in my "main tent". Will provide sneak peaks into that grow from time to time.

In a couple days I'd like to water in a little oyster shell flour and epsom salt to provide some cal + mag. After that, the plants should be good for a while. Like I mentioned in the above post, I will be LSTing them sometime in the next week or so. Just need to keep them healthy for the time being. Thanks for following along!

Instagram: @ underthesungenetics

• Like Like x 1
  7. How did the tea work out?