"Under God" Added to the Texas pledge

Discussion in 'General' started by sodomizedjello, Sep 8, 2007.

1. Gov. Perry gave the ok for this in june.

your thoughts?

2. is it optional, or does everyone who wants to become a citizen there have to say it?

3. as in.. the pledge of allegiance?

thats so bullshit, people bitch about it.. just dont say it! its not even that big of a deal..

4. i agree with pb mike, if you dont like it dont say it.

like it or not this country was founded because of religion.

5. you can't run a country by a book of religion,
    not by a heap or a lump or a smidgen
    of foolish rules of ancient date
    designed to make you all feel great
    while you fold, spindle and mutilate
    those unbelievers from a neighboring state

'nuff said

6. i'm not for government endorsements of religion. you can ad under god to anything you want in your personal live. but i don't think the government has the right to sponsor and form of religious belief.

7. What's the problem?
    Fuck, us Canadians have always had to say "God keep our land glorious and free!"

8. I used to sit for the pledge in grade/high school.

Gotta love that separation of church and state huh?

9. it's still your country. doesn't matter if you agree with all the words or not. it's pretty damn disrespectful to sit through the pledge of alliegiance, i dont care who you are.

10. I agree. You don't even have to say anything, but stand and show your respect to people who are dying every day to keep this country as free as it is.

11. It is absolutely unconstitutional to make people say Under God in the pledge of allegiance based on precedent set in lemon v kurtzman 1971. This landmark case established a three prong test, that states there cannot be an excessive and enduring entanglement between government in religion, government cannot promote or inhibit a specific religion over another, and all laws must be secular in purpose. Too bad the constitution doesn't really exist anymore!

12. Not true at all. The pilgrims were here in the 1490's, America was founded in 1776. The pilgrims would never have founded a country like this hadn't it been for enlightenment thinkers in the 1700's.

This country was founded by some religious people, but quite a few of them (the smart ones anyways) were deist.

13. Bull

What is it now? In school we were required to say it after they made the pledge of alliegence optional.

I stood for the Pledge but sat down for the Texas pledge.

"Honor the Texas flag
    We pledge alliegence to thee
    Texas, One and indivisible "

I don't need to pay lip service to my state.

14. Why is it that texas is always doing the opposite of what the rest of the country is doing? They speed up executions when other states are ending the death penalty, they add under god when other states would be taking it out if they had it, and the rally behind gwb when everywhere else his ratings drop. Texas is like its own little country. They shouldnt be adding under god. There is no point to add it other than stir up shit for the sake of the evangelicals. Just one more politicians kissing the evangelicals ass to secure more votes.

And as for the pledge of allegiance, Im not pledging my allegiance. Its a farce. Liberty and justice for all... youve got to be kidding me, take a look at reality and tell me if we all have liberty and justice. Ill pledge my allegiance to liberty, justice, my family, and my community but I wont pledge my allegiance to a republic thats not doing whats best for its people. Its about time the gov't pledges its allegiance to us.

15. And as for the pledge of allegiance, Im not pledging my allegiance. Its a farce. Liberty and justice for all... youve got to be kidding me, take a look at reality and tell me if we all have liberty and justice. Ill pledge my allegiance to liberty, justice, my family, and my community but I wont pledge my allegiance to a republic thats not doing whats best for its people. Its about time the gov't pledges its allegiance to us.

Shasta, plus rep that is the truest statement i've read on this forum ever!

16. Please do you really think this country is free?

Free my ass....

17. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism#Deism_in_America

Ben Franklin, TJ, even John Locke

18. Is there a difference between deism and theism?...

Just another word for god if you ask me.

19. Why do you people find this so offensive?
    Your fucking currency says "In God We Trust".

20. And I loves me some cash money :cool: