Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Uncontrollable twitching?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by DoubtfulFire495, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Tl;dr I started twitching uncontrollably for like 10 seconds when I smoked. What the hell?

Okay, so the other night I went over a friend's apartment to get baked with him and his boyfriend. We both went in on a bowl, real good shit, two different strains (his stuff and mine). When I took my third hit, I stood up off the couch and experienced the familiar 'blurry', euphoric sensation I get sometimes from taking a good hit, mixed with the usual head rush of standing. I stepped over to my friend's boyfriend to pass him the bowl and I put a hand on the wall to steady myself, since I was still feeling that dizzy, blurry feeling. 

Then as I'm standing there, my upper body just starts twitching. It was similar to the occasional muscle twitches I get from weed except it wasn't just one or two spasms. My entire upper torso, arms and shoulders were twitching uncontrollably for a good ten seconds before I could stop it. During that time I had no real muscle control over my body and I'm honestly surprised I remain standing. I was fully conscious and aware the whole time.

My friend's boyfriend saw the whole thing and immediately was worried, asking if I was okay and whatnot, but after that I was fine. 

So basically, what the hell happened to me? Was it just a random, freak reaction? I felt like my brain went haywire in the upper torso department there for a minute. 

NOTE: I am on medications for anxiety, depression, and hypothyroidism but to my knowledge none of them have side effects similar to what happened. Two of them lower my seizure threshold but I've never had a seizure in my life, so I don't think that's related.

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Sometimes i'll be laying still and have a few random spasms every now and then buf i think everyone experiences that. If it was to the point you couldnt control your muscles at all, i have no clue what that was caused by. if it happens again ask a doctor (if you're smoking legally)

3. UGH. This literally used to happen to me every single time I smoked when I first started smoking. It was literally the most annoying thing ever and used to be a total buzzkill. After about 2 months of casual smoking my body just stopped doing it. Although it does sound like you experienced something much more severe... Don't worry man, keep toking and your body will eventually get used to it.

ya..you are wrong...the meds you take for those issues do cause those side effects...pot doesn't... and that pot didn't have any 'lacing' or everyone there would have been twitching...

you were the only one taking your prescriptions so those are what you should be checking out with your doctor...

5. nah don't worry, it happens to me every time I get too high.

Although this does sound like the regular scare story.

6. Take a walk and relax

7. #7 Stormy Sea, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    A few twitches or spasms here and there? Fine, common side effect of smoking.

Twitching continuously across your entire upper body for ten straight seconds with no muscle control whatsoever? Not as fine.

I wouldn't be freaked out just yet, might have been a weird body fluke, but if keeps happening, and especially if it gets worse, tell your doctor. Could be a sign of something more; any seizure-like symptoms should be taken really seriously.

8. Happens to me. Used to happen more in my early days. But sometimes my chest or eye will start spazzing out.

9. Dude I think there's like crack in u guys weed just saying like I understand the eye twitching but ur whole body?? Jesus idk if I'd keep smoking if I got that

I Smoke weed 4/20-7 😎

10. Wow, that's crazy, never heard of twitching while high.

11. Happens to me all the time. Just sitting there twitching

12. Sounds kind of like something that used to happen to me before I started smoking
    I would stand up, get a head rush and grab a wall, then I'd get tunnel vision and my body would start to feel like its giving out. My vision would go black and my upper body had big heaving twitches while I tried to keep myself up. Lasted 5 to 10 seconds then I came back and my face felt all fuzzy

I've been wondering if it has something to do with low blood sugar

There was no real need to make the text large and red... and you can't say any of that for sure because you have no idea what meds I'm on. I know my medications, I know their side effects, I have read them, researched them, and I have been on them for years. NONE of them cause twitching, jerking, or involuntary movements.

Idk, everyone's different but when my blood sugar gets low, my skin gets clammy, sweaty and I get the 'shakes'. Not involuntary twitching so much, just trembling or shivering and an overall feeling of weakness. That's how I know this incident wasn't blood sugar related, it was totally different.

Not sure what's happening with you other than it sounds like you're about to pass out every time o_o

yes they do...talk to your dr about it...mention EVERYTHING..even the pot, ask him if pot causes twitching...it hasn't the properties to do it..you rx meds do though.

16. My leg would twitch uncontrollably at different intervals back when I first started smoking but this strange side affect subsided as my tolerance grew over a period of time.

ya...couldn't have been lots of anxiety when doing something you knew would get you in a lot of trouble..naaa,  couldn't have been that, and you wouldn't have just relaxed and got used to the fact you won't get busted every time you toke weed...

(was in your head)

twitching and seizures are misfires of the nerves...(to much detail for this space)...pot doesn't cause a misfire...anxiety and drugs that have properties that suppress the nerve functions do cause twitching and seizure symptoms in some people, they are listed on the drugs info sheet as side effects.

op refuses to talk to a dr about it...has diagnosed his self...and wants support to push the misleading story...uhhuh...

18. I do have a history of anxiety but I never twitch (unless I'm mad.....and that's more of a shake than a twitch) ,and I really wasn't all that worried about getting caught when I was first starting. The twitching obviously started when I began using cannabis and only happened whilst under the influence of marijuana but yet eventually subsided over time as my toorance built up ,so what couldv'e caused this?

I just told you....but some sad noobs want to push pot as the demon weed that is addicting, kills people and causes seizures..go ahead...you are in some well known company...
    [​IMG]

20. I'm not trying to demonize pot (idk about op but I'm not). I simply beg the question is it not possible that marijuana can bring about very mild effects of "twitching" in some new users of the drug? As was the case of myself when I was a new toker 7+ years ago.