Uncle Benny's outdoor introduction. Never throw in the towel :)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Uncle Benny, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Sounds like you're doing everything right. As far as the tree, sometimes you have to sacrifice one of mother nature's beautiful creatures in order to nurture a few more of your own. Once your light situation improves I'm sure your girls will respond accordingly.

No problem man. Good luck in the coming weeks- the dank nugs are well on their way!

2. So anyway I put in an order to the 'tude, and I got a bunch of freebie seeds. Along with a bunch of feminized seeds I received four regular seeds of T.H. Seeds S.A.G.E. Now according to the 'tude the strain is mostly sativa with a 70 to 85 day flowering period, so there is no way that the plants would finish in my area. Plus with the amount of work required to get the plants out into the woods, I could not take a chance of any males.

Now I was going to mail them to whoever wanted them, but I'm not sure that would be copacetic with the GC rules. So anyway I'm just looking for ideas. Is there like a seed bank donation program somewhere?

I think I need to cut down Lowryder Easy Ryder. I started it from seed on 6/6 and according the packaging the plant should have finished on 7/24. But this plant went through hell early on. The poor thing was almost total destroyed by slugs/insects, but it kept hanging on. Even now, it looks like it might keep on growing, but the thing looks a little frosty.

[​IMG]

3. Save the beans.

You never know what the future brings :wave:

4. Words of wisdom from my Grandfather. :)

5. Hey Uncle Benny :wave: Man you've had your share of problems, but that's to be expected in a first outdoor grow. Just look at all you have learned so far!

That's a pretty frosty bud you got there. :D

You can get a scope (12.00 at Radio Shack) or just go by the way the bud looks. When the pistals have finished retreating back into the bud, it's a pretty good bet she's finished or close to it. :smoke:

6. Thanks for stopping by Buzz! A big learning experience this year. I tried to grow a few times when I was in college, but I could never get past the seedling stage. Back in the day, there was no place like Grass City to learn from. I would grow these bag seed plants to seedlings and watch them die, then we'd try to smoke em, and all we got were headaches. lol

Yeah I harvested the Lowryder today. I'll do an update post with the details.

7. Well, we had a big storm pass overhead last night, and boy was it nasty. So, I got up this morning extra early and headed out to my site. I have to drive for about 5 minutes, walk through some woods, follow some railroad tracks, and then back into the woods to get to my spot. Well along my trip all I'm seeing are trees snapped in half, and branches/leaves all over the place.

Luckily I got to my site and everything was fine, not one plant lost!

Well, I harvested the Lowryder Easy Ryder plant. The poor little thing really looked like it was at the end of its life cycle, and boy did it have a tough life. There's not much to the plant, but there is some bud! I cut it down and placed it in my van for the ride home. Funny thing, is that the plant smelled a little outdoors, but man once I got it in the van, it really stanked up the whole van. I was amazed the skunk smell that little plant put out. I just hope I don't get a headache when I test taste it;)

I included some pics except for the AK47 autos. One of the AKs looks really good, the other not so much. The one I transported to a different area, is kinda sickly. Note to self, even with smart pots leave the plants alone. I must have messed up the plant root system in the transport.

So I'm estimating, based on the seed packaging, of a harvest of the AK47 autos in about 10 days. The other plants probably will not finish till mid October. I gotta hope for a good Sept and first part of Oct.

Baited some more for slugs, and cleaned up the plant of dead/yellowing leaves.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Sunday! Yes Sunday! Time to feed the plants. Went out this morning and feed the girls, with Botanicare Pro Bloom for Soil, at full strength along with some Liquid Karma supplement. The stoned immaculate is just flowering, not much other growth, while the pineapple express is almost 6ft tall and is finally into flowering. The K-Train is still growing out, and appears in pre-flower. The Ak47s are ok, and getting ready for harvest soon!

Just as a note I ran into another person today, the second time in a row, right near where I head into the woods when I leave the railroad tracks. This guy was older and walking his dog, while last week it was a young couple who looked like they were doing meth. IDK, it's making me a little nervous. I'll be glad to harvest the AKs soon enough.

Thank you for stopping by!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Went out to water my plant with a little molasses added to the water. The weather here has really been cooperative, with nice temperatures in the mid to high 70s during the day and dropping to the 60s at night. Tomorrow is going into the 90's with some rain in over the weekend, and then more mild 70's type weather for the rest of next week expected.

I harvested the sickly AK-47 Auto today, not much there to get excited about. Again, I found out that if you are growing in smart pots and you move the plants, you have to be real careful not to screw up the root system. The healthy AK-47 is looking much better with some nice frostiness about her. I may harvest her over the long weekend.

The pineapple express looks really nice. The Stoned Immaculate continues to bud, I just wish she was a little bigger. The K-Train looks really heather, but still no flowering. If only the K-Train looked like it does today, back at the end of July, then I would be much happier. At this rate, harvest for the K-Train is projected out to the end of October or beginning of November.:(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Yes, my friend, I finally got buds going on:hello: Even on the K-Train!

Happy Labor Day all. Funny weather going on here. Super hot in the 90's one day and then two days latter we didn't even hit 70 degrees. Anyway the Pineapple Express is just growing and growing, it is just around 7 ft tall now. The K-Train is finally really showing some signs of budding and continues to fill out. I harvested the last AK-47 auto, which was the best of all the auto I grew. So I have some pretty high hopes for the finished product.

Just learning to cure bud, which is another learning process. I was getting some mold on Easy Ryder buds, but luckily I stopped it soon in the process by drying it out some more. The buds from the Easy Ryder are very sticky, and it certainly does get you high.:smoke: I have not yet tried any of the AK-47, and I'm just starting to dry out the AK that I harvested today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Good up date Benny :hello: We're experiencing a cool wave here. It's a nice change from the triple digits we had to endure all summer long. Not that I'm complaining, the girlz loved it. It's just me hauling out all that water, and getting over heated.

I think the AK-47 is one of the best auto's. I want to try STA (Short Term Amnesia) next in an indoor grow this winter.

Your PE, SI, and K-train are going to fill in nice for you...:D

12. Benny that stoned immaculate looks freakin awesome! I'm very interested on hearing how that ak-47 smokes for you.

Good luck on the rest of your harvest bro!

13. Buzz, You're making me feel better about my auto strain choice. I saw Old Pork did Pandora autos with a lot of success. The Grassmatic version of the AK-47 auto did not get very big, and I'll see how it smokes. Also, it did not frost up as much as my lowryder#2 auto, which is also a cross of the AK47 and the Lowryder (a cross of Northern Lights and Williams Wonder), but this could be just due to poor farming.:eek:

The weather is starting to change and getting colder and wetter. Which has me concerned about fungus attacking my plants. Anyway, my concerns got me started reading the Mandala Seed company web site. The site has some interesting growing suggestions which might be considered heresy by some on GC. I'm thinking of doing a thread on the Mandala growing tips just for discussion.

Thanks again Buzz for the input.:D
    Thanks DD for the good wishes. The plant that looks the best to me is the Pineapple Express. The Stoned Immaculate got a good head start on the PE, but man, that PE just keeps growing and the fan leaves are big on that one. :wave:

14. They look better every update, Benny! I'm really wanting a sample of that Stoned Immaculate right about now :D.

I never got around to a writing a smoke report, most because the buds I picked were all immature and in need of pruning. They were incredibly sticky and had a great smell though. The smoke didn't taste all that great, but the high was awesome. If it was an accurate preview, I'm going to be very satisfied when I get my hands on some matured buds. The sample provided me with the upper high I've been wanting. All the strains sold around here more usually indica dominant.

Anyways, keep those girls healthy and stay safe.

15. Heck yeah bro, I can certainly appreciate your concern there. Unfortunately we've had too much rain and cool here and I saw a spot of mold on one of my plants. So, down she comes today (sadly about a week early).

That PE does have some pretty monster fan leaves doesn't she? Indeed a good looking plant. No question she'll be a sexy finisher.

Cheers Benny!

16. I can't wait either for an opportunity to try the SI. Your plants are looking terrific.

Thanks DD. The PE just gets bigger every time I see her. Sorry about having to chop down one of your plants, that really sucks.

So, I went out today to visit the plants and was concerned about mold formation with all the rain and cooler weather that has been hitting the area. Luckily everything still looks good:hello:. Just gave them another helping of the Botanicare nutes, and snapped a few pictures. The Stoned Immaculate is looking almost ready:confused:. The K-Train is finally really starting to show some buds!:D And, the PE is loving life.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Hey Benny, things are looking good :D:wave: As a general rule of thumb, I don't even start checking the trichs under the microscope until I see the pistals going back into the bud. I mean if they are still sticking out, she's not ready yet. They will look something like level loop carpet, sort of hard to explain. The bud won't look like it has a spike hair-do... :smoke:

I'll see if I can find a pic to show you what I mean.

18. #59 BuzzLightOne, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2011
    Here ya go... :smoke:

[​IMG]
    Does this look ready to you? (from GC member dc199)

That plant is 4 weeks into 12/12. Granted not all of the trichomes are that far along. And most people arent going to harvest weed that looks like this. But my point with this is that you have to look at the big picture. Stop being so scientific and start being practical.
    I'm not anti knowledge, i just cant stand these "rules" that more often than not lead people down the wrong path.
    Lets cut through the bullshit and spread good information in a way that is not so absolute. Or at very least explain the growth stages of cannabis making sure to mention that the pistils should have receded back into the bud before you chop. Regardless of trichome colour.

If I could offer one piece of advice on picking the right time to harvest, it's all about watching the pistils. Not so much the colour, but the movement. They should have receded into the bud and the seed bracts should be swollen.

It should look less like this
    [​IMG]
    And more like this.
    [​IMG]

Trust me when I say, it is worth the excruciating wait.

19. Great information and great buds, Buzz!

Benny, you've got my mouth watering a bit. That stoned immaculate looks amazing! I'm glad to see things really picking up for you, man.