Uncle Benny's outdoor introduction. Never throw in the towel :)

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Uncle Benny, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Thanks for the support! Yeah, I'll see this to the end, and see what comes out of it.

I don't think its the soil, as I only used new bagged soil right from the grow shop. It just seems that this forest has like every type of bug and creature known to man. I load up on Cutter/Off before I go out there, and still the flying pests are attacking me.

That is too fucking funny about that plant. I love that you feed it dirty bird water, that's just like a guano based tea, no doubt. Tell your friend I like his style. He was probably like, oh yeah my plant need so food, so fuck it here's some hotdog bun for you. But, I'd be afraid about putting a hot-dog bun near plants, as the nearby raccoon population would get stirred up again and start digging up my plants searching for the hotdogs. :wave:

2. Roots Organics 707 and Smart Pots are where it's at. Don't know what to say about the raccoons...but hopefully you'll find a way around them for next season. Good luck, your plants look great!

3. Hi Uncle Ben, stop the spraying until you know what you're spraying for. You first picture indeed shows a slug (and you're plants look ravished by them). Get some Sluggo (at any nursery, Home Depot, hardware etc.) and sprinkle it around your plants. Completely organic and it will do a number on the slugs and snails. (Neem and Sevin are not going to kill slugs.)

The second pic is a cricket. They're not going to cause a big problem. Just hand pick them off.

Stop using Sevin altogether! The last thing you need is a horrid chemical on you and your plants. If you need to kill caterpillars find a BT (Bacllus thuringienis) product - like Safter brand. (Don't spray in direct sunlight). Neem is also good for various bugs. (Once again don't spray in the sun). The main thing is don't just do a generic spray. Find out what's eating your plants and work on stopping them. By just spraying the heck out of everything you're killing all your beneficial insects, fungus, bacteria and it will be a losing battle.

4. On Friday I stopped by Walmart and picked up some some Eliminator Snail and Slug Bait II, made by Pennington Seed Co. The active ingredient is 2% Metaldehyde, which can be poisonous to pets and wildlife. Metaldehyde is a common bait for slugs and snails, and there are 4% metaldehyde products which are more effective, but since I was having trouble finding any type of slug bait product, the $6.50 I paid for the Pennington product seemed worth the chance.

One downside of Medtaldhyde products other than being poisonous to animals, is that rain will degrade the product quickly so that reapplication after a heavy rain will be necessary. However, Pennington is claiming that this newer product is "not affected by rain".

Another type of bait are Iron Phosphate based products such as Sluggo and Escar-Go. The benefits of these baits are that they are not poisonous nor are they affected by rain.

So the bottom line is that if you got a slug or snail problem, go with Sluggo or Escar-Go. But, if you got the little bastards chomping on your plants, and you can't find anything else, the Pennington product is cheap and appears like it should work.

Attached Files:

5. hopefully that will work for you bro :bongin:
    i know weve had a shitty summer weatherwise where im from. i couldnt do anything guerrilla - it was too cold in June! the ones intended for outside just ended up under the light.
    copper is a natural deterrent. their slime is conductive with copper and they get a small electric shock when they come in contact with it.

grasshoppers can be very destructive. neem oil should help. also, garlic oil repels them.
    hope all goes well :D

6. Thanks for the good vibes! This guerrilla growing is tough, but it's my only choice. Thanks for the other suggestions, I also heard that tuna cans with the tops and bottoms removed and placed around the base of the root stalk is good at stopping those slugs. But, I wanted a bait to kill the little suckers.

I went out to my patch yesterday to apply the bait. But, I made another noob mistake, I applied the slug bait to all my plants. If I was thinking right, I would have just tested out the product on one or two plants, since I've never used the product before. I hope this product does not come back to bite me in the ass.

Luckily, I didn't see any more of those grasshopper looking type bugs on the plants. My Pineapple Express is really starting to stretch out, and the Stoned Immaculate is just starting to show per-flowering. My worry is that the plants will not finish in time.

7. its been cool the past week but hopefully well have another indian fall (like last year)! spring sucked ass i think its well deserved! i dont think the snail repellant will hurt your babies, i have never used that product though. as long as the inert ingredients arent too oily or salty it should be coo'.

try this for a bait and trap - eat a grapefruit (not a half, the whole thing!) and put the empty grapefruits on the ground (hollow side on ground). make sure there is an opening for them to crawl into. the sugars should attract them for an evening. when you return, just stomp on the peel to kill them, and disgard :) this will probablly work with oranges, tangerines, and other soft peel-able shell type fruits. you dont want to place them too close to your plants though to attract them. but not too far. its an ok method and i dont really think it makes too much of a difference but my mom tried it in her vegetable garden.

try the neem and garlic oil though. you'de want to spray sooner or later, before you see too much bud production. neem can make your buds taste rank.

8. OSU, I agree the weather for August does seem cooler than normal, but the plants seem to like it. Thanks for the tips:hello:

Went out to my patch this morning, and the good thing is no more slugs. The plants are doing ok, but still small compared to a lot of other grows that I've been following on GC. The best plant seems to be the pineapple express, but the it looks more sativa than indica, so now I'm really worried about it finishing.

I need to figure out when to harvest the autos.:confused:

DSCF0804-1.jpg

DSCF0805-1.jpg

DSCF0810-1.jpg

DSCF0822.jpg

DSCF0814-1.jpg

DSCF0817-1.jpg

9. i am having some of the ssame problems. i have one outdoor plant that i started inn a smart pot, until it was dug out and thrown out onto the grounnd bby some small f***ing varmint. i dug out a hole, filled it in with some nice soil, and repotted the little girl. this time i took the precaution of surrounding it with wire fencinng. no matter, the little f***er just dug under it and attacked again. i should add that each time this happened i lost a few sets of leaves and about 1/2 of the root mass.

How did i finally deal with the problem?

easy, this repeat offender had gotten himself the death sentence.

trapped him in a small cage using peanut butter as bait, turned out to be a skunk. gave him one between the eyes for his crimes. brutal but necessary. plus, who cares. . . . . . . . . . . . . its a skunk. . .

10. Earth, Glad to hear you got the fucker, and thanks for the input!

What type of wire were you using around your smart pots? You got me concerned about my ladies. I'm using hog fencing that goes around the plant and is zip tied together. I then take bamboo stakes and weave the stake into the fencing and then into the ground. Here is a pick from Old Pork's grow journal which I'm using as inspiration:

BW611.JPG
    http://forum.grasscity.com/attachme...d1307819305-oldporks-deep-bush-2011-bw611.jpg

How is your grow going? I read a few of your threads, sounds like you've had a few issues crop up.

11. yeah i haven't updated anything in a long time, so dont judge me by those threads lol. the only pics ive posted were of my first attempt. the little outdoor plant was a clone i took from an "ice" plant. probably not the best outdoor strain, but it was the best i had.

for my little outdoor attempt i just used chicken wire which i put maybe an inch into the ground, so it was not hard to dig under. i mean i guess the bastard really wanted to dig it up, haha. thats the strange thing; he just dug it up and left it there. oh well, should have protected it better i guess.

hindsight is 20/20.:smoke:

12. Words of truth, brother, words of truth.

I've already been thinking about all the changes that I do for my grow next year. Here is a list of things that I'm changing:
    1 - Every thing protected from the animals from the getgo with fencing.
    2 - Protect the plants early from the slugs.
    3 - Continue work on clearing trees/brush to open more light.
    4 - Don't be so concerned about overhead detection, as getting sunlight to the plan is key.
    5 - Keep with the botanicare nutes and roots organic soil as a base.
    6 - Use a modified subcool soil mix for the lower 1/3 of the soil.
    7 - Get more smart pots.

13. Here's an idea for you Uncle Benny.

Think about a 12" round sewer pipe in a 4.5 foot length.

Now think about digging a 3 foot deep hole, approx 12" in diameter.

So, we place 3' of the pipe into the ground.

Fill it to approx ground level with our preferred soil mix.

Presto - Remco - al a ka zam - we now have a controlled growing environment, free from all of those pesty, crawly, digging things, and also a way to prevent mr rabbit and such from chewing on the stalk and lower leafs.

This is how we used to grow outside.

14. #34 ErthLghsInFlwrs, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2011
    well, i jinxed it. this afternoon i arrived to find a completely shredded plant, as well as a furry little raccoon staring at me from inside the cage. little fucker deserves to die, but there's no point now. oh well. i have officially thrown in the towel. FUCK!!!

15. Bummer

Gotta sewer pipe? :)

16. Grandfather, I like your idea of using a pipe. But, I also like those smart pots since there is no digging in the ground. Maybe, I'll try a shotgun approach next year and do a mix of pipe, ground (with Harry's raccoon mats) and smart pot grows? About 100 yards from my grow spot is a marsh area, I betcha that the pipe would be almost perfect for the marsh. Just have the pipe stick up from the ground a little higher up to avoid the constant moisture, and poke up through the reeds.

ErthLghsInFlwrs - Damn sorry to hear about the raccoon destroying your last plant. I guess it just reinforces to me the you can't be too careful, nor let your guard down when dealing with the raccoons. It really is sad how many posts I read of animals digging up the plants. I'd be willing to say that that is the number one reason for mj plant loss.

Tomorrow is a feeding day for my plants, so they will be happy. Today I've been working on a flute for my eldest daughter. I've been one, trying to convince her to stick with the flute, and two trying to repad the sucker. It's a nice Yamaha flute, and I would hate to have it not used.

Big thanks to GanjaGuru to moving my thread and putting a much more positive spin on the thread title. I guess that we'll just have to see if anything really comes from this grow to justify the title change.

17. Benny, don't get down on yourself. If you still have plants, you still have plenty to be thankful for. Push through the home-stretch and finish strong my man. Remember, it is NEVER to late to improve your conditions. If you can, do some serious hacking and clear the surrounding canopy so more sun can get to your plants. I had one pesky tree near my grow that would block a decent amount of evening sun. I climbed up that damn thing and cut every branch to the ground.

I wish I could help you out with more, but I'm not too familiar with your grow. It looks like your plants are in the ground. Is the soil clay-based, sandy, or black?

You might want to look into top dressing with some bat guanos for the remainder of the season to try to pump some organic nutrients into your girls.

18. Carlo my man, thank you for stopping by! If I can get this grow to the finish line then I will remove the "sucky" from my user title. One thing I've got is tenacity, even after losing all my first plants and all but two of my second crop of plants, I'm still at it with a third crop. I've got one each of a K-Train, Pineapple Express, Stoned Immaculate, and an Easy Ryder, plus two AK47 autos.

I switched with my 3rd set of plants to smart pots and roots organic soil, and the plants are doing better.

Picture of AK-47 Auto:
    [​IMG]

Picture of K-Train
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. #39 CarloMarx, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2011
    They don't look too bad, Benny. Some minor stretching, but you will definitely still end up with some bud.

What is your feeding regimen?

Also, I see that some of your leaves have been nibbled on by deer..? If so, try wrapping fishing line around some surrounding trees or bushes a couple of times to create an "invisible" fence. Even if there are only a couple loops, deer will bump into them and won't like it too much.

If you don't have a deer problem, ignore my suggestion :)

20. Been feeding once a week with botanicare nutrients pretty to much to what is one the bottle of the Pure Blend Pro Grow and Pro Bloom for Soil, along with the Liquid Karma supplement. I was using some fox farm stuff earlier but I think I was burning the plants. I like this Botanicare product because it is almost all organic, easy to mix, and no burn.

I took the pictures about a little earlier today. Also, I've been working on opening the canopy by girdling a tree to kill it, unfortunately I can't use a chainsaw. I hate killing a tree, but it's the one tree that causing problems.

Thanks for the good vibes :D