Uncle Bennys Guerrilla 2013

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Uncle Benny, May 30, 2013.

1. I bet they're loving the rain. We went straight from a week of rain and cold weather to a week of 100+ days. The rapid transition to the heat is enough to kick anyones ass. The plants can handle it, but the people here are dropping like flies. One local highschool is getting sued for having their graduation ceremony out in the sun on a day when it was 108. A bunch of people ended up in the hospital with heat stroke. :confused_2:

Mama, I think the plants love the rain, but these cloudy overcast days are not helping.  I'm looking at the 10 day forecast and the temps should be in the high 70s to low 80s with daily chances of isolated thunder storms every day.  A bit more sun, and weather would be perfect.

Suing the school for the weather?  I'm sorry people got heat stroke, but really...

Today I took Corto's advice and went back out to the garden to really do some serious ground clearing.  I bought a machete and a power saw, and really opened up the plants to the southern exposure.  I only spent about 2 hours of moderate work and I was pretty happy when I was done.  I chopped down some big tree limbs, cut down all around the plants and I hit the area with some more Sevin dust.   I just hope all this ground clearing does not make the plants too visible to the helos and airplanes.

So my grow site now looks like its being run by some mexican drug cartel.  I got out at the site a shovel, a machete, a 12 volt battery, a pump with hoses, and a camo painted tote.   After this season is over, I have a lot of crap to haul back.

3. So hows the sevin working for you my man? I have yet to get any yet to try and combat my leaf hoppers. Think my plants are gonners. Been atleast 3 weeks since i even went and looked at the plants. Figured they are either dead, or still kicking. Gonna go up this week and try not to lose my cool about it. I need'd the 3 week vacation to recover from the initial shock. Ill be sure to put up a pic or 2 of the DOA plants, or monsters, whichever they decided to become.

On a side note though, 12 of my auto's are rocking and should start flowering in the next week or 2! 12/15 Seeds germ'd. Only 3 that didnt were all the same strain.  Advanced Biodiesel Mass. Not 1 seed even got a tail on it. They were the most funky looking seeds i ever seen to begin with. They looked like green pea's but cannabis seed colored. They also looked like somebody smoked then in a pipe first, black/char like look to the shells. The test tube think they came in, they almost wouldnt come out!!

I really do like the Sevin.  I can dust the whole area in a matter of minutes and it kills just about everything.  Since the first application, I have not seen any further bug damage.  Just the stuff is not organic and you don't want to use the stuff during flowering.  I may apply one more time before we cross below the 14.5 hour sunlight mark.

Too bad about those seeds.  I've heard people scuffing the seeds lightly by shaking them gently inside a tube of rolled up sandpaper.  And/or soaking the seeds in water for 24 hours to help loosen the shells.  Do the seeds float or sink when you drop them in water?  That can help tell if they are dead or just tough to crack.

This year I soaked my seeds and then planted them soil.  I did not use the paper towel method, and the germ rate was really high, and I did not have to mess with exposing the tap root with light or possible damage.  Some of my 2 and 3 year old seeds took longer to germ.

5. #105 galeno, Jul 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2013
    Hey Uncle Benny, have you ever tarp/tent dried your harvest in the woods?...I'm thinking of rigging a camping Hammock in the dark woods to dry my herb. any wisdom on this?

I saw a documentary on Netflix of 3 different groups who did grows in the woods (all had MM cards). 1 group did fine (Full harvest, but DEA busted them next year), Second groups one Mexican helper took 1/3 of the bud and ran off with it. The third one someone came in a cropped all the plants and left them with a bunch of stumps in the dirt.

I'm not saying outdoor grows are bad (on the contrary I want to try one eventually), but if you've successfully harvest all your plants, wouldn't it be better to take them home and dry/cure them in more controlled conditions, and probably safer from predators (bears, thieves, etc.)

Just my .05 cents (we don't have pennies anymore in Canada ;))

7. i always soak them in water then directly sow into soil. They did float, so they seemed ok. normally have 100% success with it. Just the one type of seeds didnt do shit. Place i ordered them from offered me 3 free seeds with my next order of fem auto's but an unknown type. Atleast i get something outta it. fucking seeds were $50 for 3 lol

Gonna try go up tonight if the rain lets off to check on my royal cheese/sq1's. Hoping there is something there still 

8. If you hanging drying buds in the woods, your just asking to get ripped. Atleast when they are growing alot of people might not notice them or know what they are, but once cut and hung, anybody who smokes pot knows what it is. Unless u live in the middle of fucking nowhere, i wouldnt leave my harvest outside. Shit i wouldnt even leave a bicycle outside where i live haha

I agree with your statement except the smell is pretty bad.  I have a shed to dry in, but I do worry about the smell attracting attention.  I was thinking of using the netting between the two walls of the shed and just make like 4 giant drying racks ( probably being optimistic).

Anyway, Corto I think, drys his buds out under at tarp in the woods.  Which is the safest way do it, but risky in a different sense - you gotta keep your your buds out in the woods for 7 more days and hope they aren't discovered.

IDK, I may try drying out the woods.  Get a camo tarp and put it over the animal netting that is strung across a couple of trees, or use some bamboo stakes...  It would probably improve the drying being out in the woods.  Just you gotta worry about the buds for like 7 days till they are dry.

Maybe Corto could elaborate on his method of drying in the woods, that would be very cool?

Anybody who stumbles on my site will know what it is.

But, I see you point especially if your grow is stealthy - because drying is not going to be stealthy.

11. #111 BonghornLeghorn, Jul 4, 2013
    If you're gonna try drying in the woods, may I suggest that you try doing it in 2, 3, or 4 different locations (like 2 or 3 in the woods and 1 in your shed). This way if one is compromised you at least don't lose the whole harvest?

Also, congrats on your 1000th post UB. ^^,

12. He'll I'm an honest person but even I would be tempted to take marijuana that's hanging unattended in the woods. A lot if thrives in the world looking for an easy buck. Take your harvest to a secure location to dry, too many people want yo steal all your hard work.

13. #113 Kronicly Insane, Jul 4, 2013
    If you don't have a safe place maybe you shouldn't be growing.

That's why this is a guerrilla grow - having MJ anywhere where I live is not safe.

Everytime you go out to the woods, you are rolling the dice.  Your shit may be there or it could be gone.  Or, you might just find somebody else waiting for you that you don't want to see along with your shit.

There's a lot of risks, but I'd rather not grow weed on my own property due the stupid MJ laws including the risk of property forfeiture.   Am, I putting someone else at risk by growing on property I don't own?  No, not unless a corporation can be put in jail, which won't happen.

15. Find a better way to dry at home. If you can't dry it at home how the hell you gonna store your stash? In the woods also? Lol

KI,

I agree with you.  I would be tempted, but I could never take another dude's harvest.   It just even sounds wrong - taking someone's harvest.

We live in a strange society.  Some of its good as I know a lot guys and girls on GC would never swipe another grower's harvest.  But, there is a bad element in this society who thinks everything is for me type of attitude, who would absolutely swipe or grow or call the cops just to be an ass and see if they get mentioned in the papers.  Unfortunately, it seems like I see more and more of the latter element of society grow each year, and I'm not sure why.  I think its the media and their focus on bad role models like gansta rappers, boorish reality based stars, trashy singers, and so on...

Too many of the characters on today's shows are just down right terrible role models for anyone.  I remember back in the day, there was always shows with good role models.  The good role models back in those days may not have been realistic, but at least people strove to be better.  Now, it seems like a lot of people think they can act like complete fools because they see it in the film or on cable, and morality - forget about it.

Sorry for the rant...

17. I agree with the role model argument. He'll look at Dumbass Aaron Hernandez. Making all that money and living the dream and he still wants to play gangsta. What does that tell our kids and youth of America. I hope they throw everything at him and he rots in prison with his new boyfriend. There have been around 30 arrest already this offseason.
    I grew up with morals and ethics and they where further pounded into me thanks to the 8 years of the Army. I would never swipe a harvest because Karma is a bitch and it will come back to get you. I would try to leave a note telling them they are a dumbass and that they are lucky their harvest wasn't touched. Could you imagine the feeling when you saw the note?

18. With all the people growing indoors, is outdoor growing safer?  I say yes as less people including kids actually do physical activity or go outside so its safer, and cops put more of their focus on indoor grow ops and less on outdoor grows.  I could be wrong, but the cops only really target known outdoor grow areas and don't really search for outdoor grows outside of those targeted areas.

Has anybody used a good LED grow setup?  It just seems too good to be true - low electrical use and low heat issues.  I could almost say - why grow outside when you can use LED?

19. #119 Uncle Benny, Jul 4, 2013

I would be like - shit what a cool dude... and he leaves me a note. lol

Then I would be all bummed out that my grow was found by some dude leaving me secret messages.  I'd be all paranoid like that.  :poke: :poke: :D

I grow using CFL's indoors. I've done it before and have had fantastic results:

042912-05-auto-northern-lights.jpg

While the yields aren't as big, this can be made up for with advanced techniques like SCROG and using seperate 12/12 and 18/12 grow rooms. Having a continual harvest is a nice treat instead of all at once in a big hectic harvest.
    Outside though, you get better light penetration, longer growing seasons (granted, if you live in Canada, like me, not that much longer).

I'm currently using them again, and love the price, flexibility, and low heat signature that they give off.

I have seen some awesome LED grows though.

http://www.rollitup.org/grow-journals/483980-2-500-watt-blackstar-led.html