Uncle Bennys Guerrilla 2013

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Uncle Benny, May 30, 2013.

1. the diff with an obviously legal grow vs. a stealthy undercover grow is size and shape... the guerilla grower must blend his/her crop in with the natural vegetation for fear of persecution by wicked government!  nice plants by the way!

2. man now I feel like a dumbass for suggesting to top them. I was honestly just saying what I thought would help. that's what we are all here for right? benny didn't respond to my advice, so maybe he's mad about my thoughts too. sorry bro if I offended you, but I by no means tried too. I agree that cutting them in half would be stupid. I would top every tip of new growth and within a couple weeks they would be badass plants. sorry again if I came off rude or whatever word you want to use...

3. Ok, sarg said I should top my plants, and I said I've been topping the plants, but maybe I should have started earlier.

Sarg then said I should chop my plants in half, which would kill them.  I thought his comment was idiotic and mean spirited comment, and I told him so.

I don't remember sarg posting in my journal last year and could not find a post when I skimmed through it.  But I do remember sarg being disrespectful on another grower's journal.

I guess its just my turn to enjoy postings of the sarg.

All aboard, the train...  the sarg is waiting with bated breath wishing and hoping to see a train wreck, we would not like to disappoint him now, would we?

You did not offend anyone.

But you got it right, cutting my plants in half would kill them..  So the dude is saying because I can't do a legal grow, and grow perfect plants out in the wilds of the woods, I gotta kill my plants.  I say that pretty arrogant and idiotic.

Sorry for putting you in this mess dude.

5. #65 5150, Jun 21, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
    Are your plants getting more sun as the taller they get?  It looks like your node spacing is long down low.

6. I've topped 3' plants without killing them, it just turns the next node into the new top and keeps on growing

not sure why you think chopping the plant will kill it

7. hey Uncle Benny!, I'm going to sneak out to my little patch of joy along the river in the wee hours tommorrow am ...hope there still there!...havent had to can water them much because of nice rains this spring, but summer is setting in, and it will be every 3rd night for a few months now. I am going to try to get plant pictures to post with my canon elph100 set to night mode(low light setting) using a small packable tripod.
    Ps. how does an old goat post pics from my computer? :confused_2: & dont worry about wankers with no respect!!

8. #68 Uncle Benny, Jun 21, 2013

I would say the are getting more sun the taller they get, and they are in the woods competing against a lot of other veg.  The node spacing is C99 and purple maroc is huge.  The rest of the plants are more normal.   I did trim off some of the low veg so maybe explains you long down low comment?

Thanks buddy.

I agree with you, you can top plants when they are smaller than 3', and I understand that topping a plant does not kill it.  Please re-read the thread a bit further back, and I hope you will then understand my point of view.

The kid is now just spamming me cause I hurt his feelings. 

No watering yet either, but I got some serious bug problems with leaf hoppers.  I'm afraid I may have to break out the Sevin to battle all the bugs.

To post a pic, I click on the "Photo gallery" button.  Then you will see a button to "Upload".  Then you should see a button to create an album.  Once you create an album upload your photos to your album.  When done uploading pics to your album, I open the album and the picture I want to insert into a post I right click on it as choose "Copy Image Location".  I then go to the post I want to paste my image to, one of the post formatting icons has a picture with green plus sign for "Image".  When you press on the image icon paste your image location, and the image will appear on your post.  I hope that makes sense?

Thanks for the kind words.

I sprayed the plants with neem oil tonight and took a few pictures.  The purple maroc (pic2) and C99 (pic1) are nearing on 7 feet tall.  The K-Train (pic4) is taking a beating from the bugs, but is hanging tough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Hey benny, you got a close up of them fkn leaf hoppers? I think thats whats killing all my plants. Neem Oil and Fungicide<sup>3 </sup> both didnt help my shit at all. i desperately need some advice to combat these fuckers. One of my plants looks like somebody shot it with a 410 from point blank.

10. Typical cali grower response.. look at me! look at me! post.

11. #71 Corto Malteze, Jun 21, 2013
    They're filling up for sure now, as 5150 explained, they are just getting to a good size for a lil' more sun, nothing to worrry about. Oldpork's plants do the same in his journals every year.
    I don't do much LSTing, topping/fimming as long as they're getting enough direct sun light (8 minimum), they will yield very good. Those techniques are optional if you have the time. Topping/fimming several times will lower chances of bud rot (more colas) and LSTing will increase the yield for sure (but this needs to be done gradually and early which is hard when guerilla growing without breaking the limbs).I only top/fim only a couple times and don't LST altogether. Cutting your plants in half would kill them I agree! I do stake them around beg. September so they don't fall over from the weight. Trimming the shit out of the vegetation south/east/west side is crucial (if needed) and I make sure this is done. But I see your plants are filling in nicely now and are very healthy as every year Uncle Benny. Take care my friend.

12. Benny none of us learned this overnight, no matter where you live.  If it makes you feel better I've met many members from cali on here that are more than willing to help, and are humble in the way they share advice.  Acting like you've been there adds legitimacy IMO.  No one wants to here I'm better than you just so an ego can be stroked.

I remember a few years ago, a new grower from cali joined here and was a neophyte to growing.  He posted a thread asking "Will rain hurt my plants"  It got no responses.  The very next season he returned to insult everyone who was not up to his standards as far as knowledge is concerned.  All of his posts were written as if he had been growing most his life.  Just a story I would share with you guys, might mean nothing to most of you, might mean something to some of you. 
    Sorry to ramble, best of luck this year Benny.  Thanks for sharing the grow. 

Subscribed.

13. Hello Uncle Benny! thanks for the lesson on posting pictures!...went to my spot this am around dark-thirty...the plants are all well...nothing spooky happened...just watered the ladies, fim'd a few tops, did a little listing like "tweekz" suggested on one plant just to see what would happen...my bluedream is my bushist and biggest with a himalayan gold catching up fast...i have a couple of barney's farm red dragons that stink already...also a trainwrek thats getting in the groove.
    sorry no pics yet due to darkness but im coming up with a plan to sneak in during daylight and take pictures from the cover of the forest canopy that backdrops my garden... this test photo I'm posting is of my spot taken from across the river with my camrea set on max zoom. Your plants are beautiful by the way!!
    I read GC journals every day for knowledge of this craft...I like the sence of community it provides as well...I know  of nobody that enjoys ganga where I live and am quiet the loner in this hobby of ours. [​IMG]
    peace and safety to all guerilla's

14. Well fudge!! need a looking glass to see the picture!!...have patience amigo's I,m a FNG for sure!! :blink:

15. #75 Uncle Benny, Jun 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2013

I posted a pic of one in my first grow journal - it is a pretty blue and red bug.  Funny that you posted, I just went out the garden tonight and bombed it with Sevin.  I bombed the plants and about 4' around the garden on all the other vegetation.    Sevin worked super well last year, and the neem was not working for me either.  This is now officially not an organic grow, I'm sure I'll piss off some of the wacko west coast crowd again with the Sevin.  I'll get the same crap because from here on out my plants will have a white powder on them from the Sevin. I will stop the Sevin treatment when the plants enter the flowering stage.

Corto my friend, I agree that plenty of growers don't top their plants.  I really think the plants are getting well above 8 hours sun, so I'm hopeful for the harvest.  And, if your growing out the woods I believe that you can't LST your plants and tie them down, as there is just way too much vegetation to compete with and the plants will reach naturally for more and more light.

Thank you for the kind words.

Thanks patriofarmer, I've noticed an attitude with a few growers, and especially with a few from cali.  But, I've also found some really helpful and kind cali growers, so I don't mean to paint with a broad brush that all cali growers are egotistically jerks, but I think some growers who can set up 100 gallon smart pots in their backyard and water the plants every couple days think they are the end all, be all to growing weed.

I just try to do my thing, and make a nice little stash of weed for myself and a few friends.  Growing in the woods is not easy work, and I HAVE NEVER seen an egotistical guerrilla grower, and we tend to stick together as a little group.

Thanks for subscribing.

galeno, you gotta great sense of humor.

Peace and happiness to you amigo!

17. I went back out the garden tonight, and bombed it with Sevin as I mentioned above.  PLUS, I used my water pump for the first time and the it really worked nicely.  Next time I'm out with I'll try to take some pictures.  I still gotta haul the water a little bit.  I pump the water the from a pond which is not that far away and then haul it back to the garden.  The water smells a bit and is like swamp water.  I think the plants will love it!

On a side note, I'm using smart pots to grow tomatoes in my backyard, and I'm also growing tomatoes in a raised bed in my backyard.  I'm doing this as an experiment to see how to really grow with a smart pot.  I used 10 gallon smart pots to guerrilla grow with last year.

Some of my initial conclusions:

I will never use smart pots again for a guerrilla grow unless I had a ready endless source of water.  I'm finding that you really need a lot of water to soak even a 20 gallon smart pot, and to water the plant your gotta soak that pot.  And, the smart pots do dry out faster than when you plant in the ground.  But if you can use a smart pot, you can get some good grow results as the plants do like the extra air that gets to the roots, but the difference is not that large at least not for me.

18. Benny, u using the powder or the spray Sevin? I think my plants might be too far gone atm, but for a few bucks, its worth a shot to bring them back. Probably about 85% of my leaves are full of holes. A few are brown/drooping from it. I need something, fuck, i dont care if its organic or not. Just need something to work!. Hate the time and money invested, to receive nothing in the end. What a waste.

Tweakz - I bombed the whole garden with the powdered Sevin.  I even hit the surrounding vegetation with the Sevin to make a buffer bug free zone around the garden.  This Sevin will kill just about every bug for several days in the area -  its sorta like dropping an ordinance of napalm.  This is a pretty powerful insecticide and a lot people have serious problems with the use of it, but when your growing in the woods I think you gotta be willing to use it.

Keep in mind that your plants are going to be dusted white.

20. I don't think your plants look bad at all. Anyone who can grow in the woulds without getting torn up by bests deserves a medal in my book, lol.

Have you ever tried diatomacious earth as a replacement for the 7 dust? I've read about people using it for control of leaf hoppers. It's pretty cheap, so it's probably worth a try. The damn things are bad this year. It's like bud worms were a year or two ago. Some pests just go crazy when the conditions are right. I was lucky enough to have some type of assassin bug mostly wipe out my leaf hopper problem. Had lots of crickets this year too. Probably because of the hay I mulched with. They like having a place to hide. Anyway, the diatomacious earth is good for your soil to, so even after it gets blown or washed off the plants, it's still added trace nutrients to your soil. It's a win win.

PS- I'm not judging you for using the 7 dust. Just trying to offer other options. You can still find old journals of mine where I turned to malathion and other chemicals for pests. That's life. But these days I try to find safer options when I can.