Uncle Bennys Guerrilla 2013

Discussion in 'Outdoor Grow Journals' started by Uncle Benny, May 30, 2013.

1. So you just pick some spot to grow and hope nobody finds it? 

'bout sums it up. lol

You gotta pick a spot, and roll the dice.

3. Ok, so the weather has been wet and cool 60/70's all this past week and I have not seen my plants in about week.  So I really need to get out to see them this weekend.

So far the weather, on the whole has been much more like historical averages, a bit cooler and wetter than last year or for actually for the past several years.

It will be interesting to see if this helps or hurts.  I think it will help, as the temps and weather will be closer to temps as in N. California.  From what I've read the optimal growing temp is between 65 and 78 degrees, if you can believe it.  I always thought hotter was better, but unless you like Mexican swag, you'd probably really want weed from Humboldt county in northern California where the temps stay near the 65 and 78 range expect in the later part of the season when it gets a bit hotter, which is more like my historical averages except the growing season starts later, and the later part of the growing season is a bit cooler on average.  It will be interesting to see.

Just hope my plants are there.  If they are, I'm spraying them with liquid fence as a safety measure since they have hopefully grown well clear of the fencing.

Thanks for posting Cochese, but what does "shake n bake" mean.  I know my mom used to make shake n bake chicken back in the day, and it was really good with mashed potatoes and gravy - hummmy...

Are you hungry, bro?

You know sometimes when i get the munchies I do think about shake n bake chicken. lol

5. Good luck this weekend Benny, have you tried coyote urine. They sell it in granules that last 60 day's. I use it with the liquid fence.

6. Thanks buddy!  I heard about the coyote urine sold at hunting stores, but never bought any. I have not really had a problem with animals once I started using fencing, so maybe I'm just getting paranoid but why take any chances.

That liquid fence smells like ass sitting in rotten egg. 

7. def smells like some one was following "precious" around catching her farts  :laughing:

8. #29 outdoorgrower1, Jun 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 8, 2013
    hey benny im in your boat. haven't checked the girls for a week, and must do today. we also have been dealing with very similar weather. cant wait to see how my girls are growing, or like you said if there even there. hopefully ill be back later with some pictures. goodluck heading out to your site today, and hope your gals blew up benny!!!

9. The plants are doing well.  Seems like most of them grew at least a foot the past week.  The first pic is of the C99, then the purple maroc (the tallest of the plants), then the blue dream, then the k-train, then the orig amnesia, then the sour cream.  The final pic is of the leaf of the C99 and you can see the sucker bits of the leaf hoppers.  On the way home tonight I picked up some neem spray.

I did a some pruning and cut off the some of the bottom growth that would only result in some popcorn buds.  I also did some topping, and baited some more for slugs.

The last two plants I got out, the sour cream and orig amnesia, I did not give the soil enough time to cycle through and I'm noticing a little yellow in the center of the new growth.  Hopefully the soil will settle down soon enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Time to top or fim. You will get bamboo poles like last year.

11. #32 Uncle Benny, Jun 9, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2013
    Hey sarg, I have been topping them for several weeks now, and I've already done a lot more topped/fim than last year.  I probably could start the topping/fim process even earlier, when they are under the T-5 lights, but that's a story for another day.

Anyway, the strains are more sativa so genetically they want to shoot up more rather than bush up, or so I've been told.

Thanks for the advice sarg as I do want bushier plants, but this past week the plants really seemed to stretch out a lot.

12. Those have been topped. Well shit. More light maybe. They look like they are stretching really bad. All I grow is reall sativa Dom plants and they get wide as hell. I would bend one over and pull it through the cage. This is how to make monster plants. I have a pretty good vid of my garden I will up Load and show you what I mean.

Thanks sarg, I like watching gardening vids. 

IDK, the plants get plenty of light, and the tallest of the plants is pushing 5' tall so they are growing strong but as you noted not very bushy except for the blue dream.   Bending the stalk may be a little iffy at this stage - I was thinking of doing some LST this year but I decided to do more topping and fimming.

I did prune some of the lower branches so that more energy is devoted to developing the top canopy.  I'll see if this helps.

14. #35 tweakz, Jun 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2013
    the 3rd pic u posted is looking pretty nice! My plants did the same things yours did this week. Stretched like crazy again. Some of my lower growth shotup also, but its all stretchy. I think its in the genetics also. Strain im growing gets to 3m+ I dont have to worry about height where im growing at though so thats not a concern. Cept for the fact that im only a little over 5' LOL

If you tie your plants over some but not alot, tie them to the north west. That way when the morning sun comes from the south east, it hits the lower of your plant first, and the top of your plant is more in the shade. Since we grow guerilla style, and im assuming your like i am, with only a weekly visit, you cant really tie your plants up all crazy. I tried and did make it back up like i wanted to and ended up with this....
    View attachment 117276

thats really not what u want to happen LOL i got it to straighten out some so the plant will be able to support itself, but its still not pretty. 

Now the plant i tied off to the north west, turned out like this.. which is wayyy sexier!
    View attachment 117268

its from the movie talladega night's...RICKY BOBBY!

16. Talladega night' s?  I tried to watch that movie once and I fell asleep, and I normally like Will Ferrell movies? 

The weather has been wet and overcast.  Tomorrow should be nice, then more rain but more sun.  Temps are great.

I tested out the pump.  The sucker really blasts the water and I believe it would pump up to 45'.  I put a 3/8" pvc tube on it.  My problem is the river.  I think I can use it, but not to tap the river.

[​IMG]

I noticed that my outdoor plants always experienced a period of stretch for a couple of weeks after they first hit the ground, even when they were getting ample light. Later in the season they filled out to be wonderful bushes so I don't think you need to worry at all, Benny.

I don't think that yellow spot is anything to worry about. All of your growth is that great shade of green that signifies a healthy plant. You've done great so far, man.

Keep us update on how that pump works! Stay safe.

Thanks Carlo, that means a lot to me coming from you.  When I compare this years grow to last year, I am far ahead of last year.  The plants are much bigger and are growing much stronger, and I know from past experience what you say is true - the plants will start to bush out.

Carlo is a really good gardener who knows a lot about organics.  My mix this year is based off of Carlo's outdoor mix from last year, which he had some problems with due to not having enough cycle time for the soil.  I thought the mix had a lot of good to it, and I modified it only slightly to reduce the amount of neem meal and I added a bit of sul-po-mag.  This year I also incorporated the VAM product after seeing Carlo recommend it, and after MUCH research, I came to the same conclusion that the VAM product was superior to competitors products when comparing price/fungi count.

I just hope I can bring this crop to harvest.

19. I got out to visit the garden after all the rain and some severe weather.  The next few upcoming days should be near perfect weather, and I also really wanted to soak the plants with neem oil.  I also did a bit more pruning or as some would call it - lollipoping.

Even though the weather for the past several days has been rainy and overcast, the plants seem to love it.  The pics in order are of the purple maroc, C99, blue dream, k-train, orig amnesia, and sour cream.  I am really impressed with the female seeds (C99 and purple maroc)  the purple maroc is nearly 6 ft tall, and the C99 is not that far behind the maroc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]