Ultrasonic Fogger heating water res

Discussion in 'Aeroponics' started by joedirty, May 22, 2017.

1. So I got a couple ultrasonic foggers each rated to convert over 2 gallons into fog daily. They cause the water to warm up quite a bit, I've heard this promotes algae/bacterial growth. The foggers work best I'm warmer water, but also work fine in 68F - if I got a chiller to try to fight the heating... Or I could just clean out my system with H2O2 every week? Root chambers and reservoirs are lightproof... Anyone know about using these foggers and if the heat will be an issue?

2. Crankz is the only person I've seen on GC using foggers. He only uses them for his cloner. It probably helps to keep the root zone a little warm for that. I know that all foggers are not created equal and some are better then others. It might be worth contacting him about foggers.
    crankz's corner

3. I use foggers for my grow, three head units.

However, they dump about 22 watts of heat into the soup so I also run a chiller.

Link to my rig is my sig.

4. I use a 3 disk fogger in a 5 gallon bucket and I souped it up with a variable speed fan on the lid and a float valve to my RO. In the winter when the rH is super low, this thing will pump out 5 gallons of fog in about 12 hours. It works really well.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I misquoted my output. I have some 12 disc XL rated to pump over 9L per hour. They create ridiculous amount of fog, I got the more expensive brand with a protective coating to help it against corroding in the soup. I'm thinking I'll only need to run them for (mostly guessing here) 2-5 minutes on 15-25 minutes off cycles. A guess I can throw a little chiller in there to start and watch the temps over time. I'll update here in case someone else needs the reference in the future.

6. Do you grow with only foggers? I can see the beauty of a fogponic cloner but for large scale growing I don't get it. I was originally planning on building a custom aeroponic setup when I got started. The more I dug the more people I found saying, too complicated, too much effort, too many clogged nozzles and potential problems. The other argument is once the roots get long enough it's just DWC anyway. Why have a sprayer? In that same respect I have to say once you have long roots that are dangling in a res why run the fogger? Straight DWC works great and is so much more simple. No need to complicate it. If people were using aeroponic and fogponic setups and outgrowing everyone else I could see the logic in going through all the trouble. The problem is they're not. People are growing just as big and healthy plants with straight DWC or RDWC, but they're doing it cheaper and easier.

7. No drip or anything to clog up, just foggers.
    It isn't complicated, but there are caveats.
    As for just going RDWC, the root plug need to be kept moist and my chamber tends to dry them out, the "wicking" of the roots doesn't keep the plug moist enough until the plants are bigger.
    However, I can shut off the foggers when I determine they don't contribute anymore to the grow.
    There are lots of ways to grow, my way works for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I upgraded the transformers for my foggers.

Here is what I use now as the OEM transformers are junk IMO.(one of those caveats I mentioned)

Overkill? Not IMO.

Attached Files:

9. An update: I am evaluating some three head foggers that are in a stainless steel case.

I did immerse one in nutrients and check it weekly.

So far no etching.