UKS TOP COURT: OK FOR HOSPITAL TO STOP TREATMENT

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Deleted member 472633, Oct 30, 2013.

1. #1 Deleted member 472633, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_MED_BRITAIN_WITHHOLDING_TREATMENT?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-10-30-07-25-07

Yay death panels and government controlled health care. 

2. Hardly a "death panel". Sounds like a family that can't let go, despite all evidence to the contrary.

I hope to god some doctor, or judge, or anyone steps in if I am in that position and my family can't bring themselves to pull the plug.

3. #3 Deleted member 472633, Oct 30, 2013
    Thats ridiculous a group of government officials have decided to deny a man all medical care so that he dies. That is the very definition of a death panel if there ever was one. Once again penelope how much money does the democratic party pay you to betray your fellow human beings?

4. #4 0ri0n, Oct 30, 2013
    If I was in that state I'd sure as hell want to die, and I'd be PISSED at my family for making me suffer longer than I must, you can bet I'd haunt their asses when I go. I'm with penelope, there was no  hope for him, the court did right. While government controlled healthcare isn't necessarily something I'm on board with, they did the proper thing in this case. Call it a mercy killing.

5. This is not about whether you would want to die or not in that state. THAT IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT!!!! THE POINT IS ITS YOUR DECISION NOT THE GOVERNMENTS!

6. Another reason to hate Westminster

Reason # 182

7. This is why I have an advance directive...if I'm unable to state my wishes the advance directive will stand up for my expressed desires....everyone should have one...

8. Well first of all, the hospital applied  for the ability to end the patients life, so you saying that it is not the governments decision to whether or not he should have lived I would agree, but the government didnt become involved until the hospital decided to make that decision.

Now if the government started the investigation and made the decision to end his life independant of the hospital, then Id agree, or at least thatd be my interpertation of a "death panel"

This beings up a question of whether or not a hospital, privately owned and operated should have the right to refuse treatment to people.

9. #9 Penelope420, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
    Medically speaking he is ALREADY DEAD.

If he had a living will it wouldn't be a question. But the fact is he DIDN'T make that decision and it is now left up to the others to make it for him.

The question is who knows what is best? Trained professionals, who are making the decision based on scientific knowledge or a grieving family who doesn't want to accept medical fact?

Don't want to be part of a "death panel"? Then make your wishes known, in writing, so you don't put your family and caregivers in the position of having to guess what you would want.

10.  What purpose does it serve to keep a person alive that is that fucked up?   He's 99% gone, and can't do any worse than a one percent survival chance,   It is extremely cruel to keep an animal, much less a human, living in a state like that.   Religion is probably the source of the family's stupidity. 

Is it OK for PRIVATE insurance companies to exclude people with pre-existing conditions?  Sounds like a real death panel to me and not an imaginary one ...

12. There is no purpose.

I don't know if it's religious, but I can see how that would be a very difficult decision to make if you had a loved one in that condition. I'm sure they are rationalizing their decision, but their decision is clouded by grief, and a sense of false hope.

His family has no more legal claim to his body than his doctors do, but someone has to make a decision. When the two parties cannot agree, then how else do you resolve it than through a mediator (aka "death panel")?

James - do you think family has the right to force a doctor to treat someone if the doctor believes that treatment is not in his patient's best interest?

13. #13 Mr.Folgers, Oct 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013

One of the silliest statements I've seen today. You are a death panel if you refuse to hand out a shit load of money for nothing. Gotcha ;) 

Anyone else care to share something that actually makes sense? 

14. Who would want to BARELY be alive anyway

15. Well I live in a "five wishes" state and have my fourm filled out ( which I encourage everyone to do regardless of beliefs) to prevent my family members from having to make hard decisions ob this matter.

There's living and there's surviving, this man was clearly just barley holding on. Why would any human want to live in such a state? I think your "Death Squad" made the right choice.

16. #16 Penelope420, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2013
    It's not the "government officials" that decided to stop life support.

It was his doctors that made that medical call.

His family protested, doctors proved their case using actual science, and the courts agreed, and chose not to force the doctors to continue treatment.

17. More hyperbole from James. This isn't a government death panel. The decision was made by the doctors in the hospital, the family refused to let it stand, so the matter went to the courts. The judge wasnt deciding whether or not the man should die, the judge was choosing whether the doctors or the family has the right to choose in this instance.