UK vs USA

Discussion in 'General' started by spillee86, Nov 8, 2012.

1. BEFORE this thread starts, this isn't a competition thread. That would be silly. I just wanted to share some general thoughts and see what you guys think.

Basically, I've just spent 3 months in the US up in Pennsylvania, New York & New Jersey (got out of there just before mother nature fucked you guys up... so shout out to anyone over there atm suffering with that. Sucks big time). But after coming back to the UK I just realised how shit this place is.

I mean - I'm SORT of proud to be British. We have a gritty, down to earth sense of being which is sorta cool I guess. And our sense of humour is pretty on point. BUT, there's just so many shitty people here. A lot of people are just depressed or angry or violent or BORING AS FUCK.

In America you guys are full of optimism and pride. You're raised being told that if you try hard enough you can be the next President. You all seem to strive hard for your goals and you seem to be a really friendly nation (I understand it's a big country and this varies from state to state, but where I was, honestly the people couldn't have been nicer.) Over here we're told to give up on our dreams because they're unlikely to happen. And I think that's what separates us. We're living in a country where we're told success in music, theatre, art etc. is unlikely. Get a 9-5 job, settle down in a family and just keep your head down. Over there you applaud these interests, and I think it just makes you a much happier nation.

Also - quick point. Flying the American flag is a sign of national pride and unity. Over here, popping a St. George's cross up in your front garden would make you either a racist, a football hooligan or just a fucking mentalist.

What's everyone elses views?

P.S And whoever decided that shit in Colorado is the boss. Try getting the Tories to do that. Even Amsterdam are starting to tighten up on those laws now. Europe is just a mess right now.

2. Never been, but I'd like to visit the uk at least once.

The people I've met from there seem friendly.

3. It'd be a waste of a holiday mate! :p
    As much as I love my country, most of the time the weather is shit so you can't really as much :devious:

4. i'm an american, but only 2nd generation, mothers side grandmother was a spaniard immagrant.. so i've got family in spain and here, i actually lived there for a while when i was younger...never been to the UK however..

my comparisons: in Spain the spanish culture and religion (catholic) runs deep.. life is rich, and when we were there it seemed money was less thought of...

here, it's all about money, not necessarily bad or anything, people are people wherever you go, it just seems here your money situation makes a bigger difference than other places when you first meet somebody new..

5. 'merika! Fuck yea!!

6. But both places have their ups and downs. It's basically the same.

7. Money situation here is pretty similar. The new government is just enforcing so many taxes and cuts that basically, if you're rich you're unaffected (in some ways they're getting RICHER off of it), and if you're poor you're fucked.

Everything is more expensive now. A lot of people in their 20's, coming out of uni or trying to leave home can't DO anything. If you get a job with decent pay you get taxed to shit off it, and if you get a job with minimum wage you're lucky to cover your own rent, let alone thinking about eating (REALLY sucks when you have to start picking food over weed...) Nobody can afford to get their own place, nobody can afford to drive which limits our availability to work. I mean, fuck me - I can hardly afford to even GET any weed anymore. I'm having to buy in 10s atm, and that's getting sold at less than a gram right now because the poor fuckers selling it have to try and keep themselves afloat as well.

Just seems everyone is out for themselves and NOBODY gives a fuck about the wellbeing of anyone else. And I definitely didn't feel that (in certain areas anyway) when I was in the States. The people of PA said it's fucking boring to live there, but at least it's affordable and the community is decent.

I feel myself conforming to being something I don't want to be just in order to survive. It's not good.

8. I can relate to the op, I'm from Scotland, never been to the u.s though but I've a lot of mates who are moving to oz and moving to the u.s and this is the reasons I see

Better wages
    Better weather
    Nicer people
    Nicer surroundings
    Less tax

I spent like a week in England this year and even that changed my view England is a much nicer welcoming and all round better place than Scotland to live as well probs means nothing to you all but I've spent my time typing n forgot where I was going haha

9. It's a sad but it's fucking true and to be honest I think it's become like that because we are overly tolerant of other cultures and dont want to offend anyone so we put our own beliefs, past-times and practices aside to accommodate everyone elses. I'm far from a racist or prejudice to anyone but if they dont like our patriotism to the extent we're warned (by our own government at that!!) not to wear our nations flag, fly it out our window or even chant ENGLAND ENGLAND ENGLANDDDD... well they should just fuck off ... I dont even see how its considered offensive whatsoever!! If us Brits was to for example, state that a Burka is offensive, do you think the Muslim community would be warned about wearing Burkas ? No, they would tip everyone bollocks and carry on regardless so why the fuck do we have to hide our pride for our own nation and we cant even fly our own flag, over our own soil without it supposedly causing tension

10. The US really isn't too bad as far as how your average person treats another. But there is major income inequality, and too much power is held by too few. But I guess it's really much the same as any other first world nation.

Also, it feels good to hear people from elsewhere with good things to say 'bout the old US 'of' A.

11. What the fuck? Did you go to the country of those states.. or the actual city.

I have not seen 1 happy person outside ever while living in Northern Virginia (Sub region of D.C.)

Everyone here seems depressed, fucked over by the man, poor and pissed. I imagine it is the same in new york and new jersey.

It was complete opposite in the outskirts of Florida (Palm coast) while I lived there for a short while.

Everything you said about the UK I think of the USA, and everything you said about USA, that's how I think of the UK.

We're exactly the same.

12. Most people think the UK is basically America but just different accents, drive on different sides of the road and the uk has a queen. That's really not all that's different. The biggest difference is the mentality of people. The way of thinking is different. And that goes for all nations when compared to side by side, the biggest difference would be the mentality and way of thinking.

I've been all over the world.

13. Never been to the uk but I'd love to some day you guys live in such a fascinating place

14. I find it easy to pick out people I would rather see dead here in the UK. But that is without taking into account all of the great people, too. I used to despise this country but when I look at it rationally it isn't bad at all.

Like others are saying, it's all the same really, just small differences in mind sets. You've got more oranges, I've got more pears, but we've all got oranges and pears.

15. I'm sure you have a lovely personality, but most people in America were probably only so nice because of your accent.

My best friend is English, and he gets away with saying some of the craziest shit to people. They think he's joking 100% of the time.

16. I do have to admit the accent got me a lot of things while in America. A LOT of things...

...I mean sex.

17. He's from North Yorkshire, so people really have no clue wtf he's saying.

18. Is the weather as grey and gloomy as they make it seem over there? I've only been to poland so i can't really compare since they're miles apart.

19. I think people in the states are automatically amused by English accents because it's like watching Monty Python, except in real life.

20. Interesting. People here in Denver and other parts of Colorado seem quite happy with their lives. I guess it's just different everywhere.