Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

UK - US terminoligy

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by DirtyWater, Jan 9, 2014.

1. New hear and I'm guessing the majority of you guys are from the US / outside of the UK, to help me get along a little easier could I could some help with terminoligy?

for example, 
    a "ten bag" over here would be 1 gram of weed and costs £10
    what would that be called for you guys

then you have a "HQ" -half quarter- £30

Quater - £60
    etc etc

2. #2 nascarfan, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2014
    A $10 bag would be a dime (about 6 British pounds) . And a $20 (about 12) would be a dub. How much you get for that depends on where you live. No one really buys dimes, but a dub can be anywhere from 1 gram, to maybe 2, (There are some areas where 4 grams of medical marijuana can be had for $20), all depending on what the climate/growing conditions is like where you live, how harsh the recreation marijuana laws are, and whether or not the state you're in is a MM state.

The weights are the same though. We use the metric system for weed. Marijuana, forever teaching teenagers what high school never could :laughing:  Although, we don't usually say ounce unless we're buying a whole ounce. We typically call it an 1/8th, a 1/4, a 1/2. Oh, and a zip is also an ounce.

3. You must be from one of the weird parts of England where an eighth is any weight sold for £20, usually nowhere near 3.5g.
    I don't get why some Yanks and Canucks refer to a piece of rolled up card as a filter - exactly what does it filter from the smoke?

4. I use one all the time, it doesn't filter anything except from the weed physically coming into your mouth. and it keeps the joint/blunt nice and sturdy

5. not the smoke...just keeps the bud from actually entering your mouth

6. I call that a roach not a filter, everyones different though. On the note of this thread I really need to get some scales.

7. Prices by weight in Southern U.S. + common terms...

Medicinal grade prices:
    1 ounce (oz) = 28g ≈  $240 - 375 / zip, onion
    1/2 oz = 14g ≈ $140 - 200 / half
    1/4 oz = 7g ≈ $80 - 125 / quad, quarter
    1/8 oz = 3.5g ≈ $45 - $60 / track, eighth

Lesser amounts (Medical & Mids):
    dime = .5g = $10  (medical)
    dime = 1.75g = $10 (schwag/mids)
    nickel = non existant in the medicinal market ("here man, you can have this")
    nickel = .875g = $5 (schwag/mids)

8. #8 bloodysita, Jan 10, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2014
    [quote name="Captain VXR" post="19309139" timestamp="1389291292"]You must be from one of the weird parts of England where an eighth is any weight sold for £20, usually nowhere near 3.5g.I don't get why some Yanks and Canucks refer to a piece of rolled up card as a filter - exactly what does it filter from the smoke?[/quote]Around where I live it's called a crutch. I guess it's called that because if you're new to rolling or smoking, it's a "crutch" to use, keeping the roll sturdy and to give you something to hold onto and puff on so you're not putting the lit part itself on/near your lips.Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity F

9. That confuses us old farts because we call the unsmoked part of a joint the roach. :smoke:

Large particles of weed. Not that you would understand, but we like to keep our teeth clean.

11. Well we call them roaches here, and every joint I smoke has one. If someone was on about a filter here, it would be a cigarette filter that filters part of the smoke.

No doubt, terminology is what it is. Some people refer to brand names in place of more technical descriptions. Velcro and kleenex are two examples off the top of my head, not all hook & loop fasteners are of the velcro brand, and not all tissues are kleenex.

Average people use simple jargon, isn't that hard to decipher.

13. [quote name="Not Sure" post="19311693" timestamp="1389315867"]No doubt, terminology is what it is. Some people refer to brand names in place of more technical descriptions. Velcro and kleenex are two examples off the top of my head, not all hook & loop fasteners are of the velcro brand, and not all tissues are kleenex.Average people use simple jargon, isn't that hard to decipher.[/quote]I don't get what that has to do with what he has said. A filter here in the UK is known as a squashed piece of cotton (essentially). Just search swan filters and they're not called swans afaik ;).

Smoke any fags lately?

15. Nope lol, why? I'm guessing fag was a tobacco brand? I smoke roll ups and I call them just that, or I call it backy for rolling tobacco.

LOL, I'm pretty sure you know that slang changes from region to region

17. I'm not disagreeing with what you said anyway though, just didn't understand what link it had to do with captainvxrs post is all.

18. [quote name="Not Sure" post="19311836" timestamp="1389317355"]LOL, I'm pretty sure you know that slang changes from region to region[/quote]I'll call a pre roll cigarette a fag most times though yeah, I'm not arguing that fact. Bit like a hoover ;).

19. Also, it's "terminology" ...not "terminoligy"

Fucking people smh ;)