UK/European Blades...or those who have visited

Discussion in 'General' started by Smiley Moody, Jan 30, 2010.

1. So, my cousin moved across the pond last year (right outside of London), and he wants me to come out for a visit while he is there. I have decided to definitely make the trek over to see him, but as long as I'm going to the UK I figure I might as well check out some more of Europe.

One question I have is how easy is it to get to the mainland? I'd definitely like to get over to Prague where I have another cousin living, as well as the Netherlands. I'm not planning on going until the summer so I have plenty of time to save up enough money for the trip.

I'm really into history, art, architecture, etc..., so I'd like to see some cool stuff while I'm there, but I would prefer to spend the bulk of my trip visiting my cousins who I never get to see. So, any tips for an American visiting the Old World? Where else should I be sure to visit? Where should I avoid/skip? How long should I spend over there to make the trip worth while? I'm thinking I'll spend somewhere around 2 weeks in Europe, give or take.

Thanks in advance.

2. Its about an hour (to north west Germany) from England by plane, maybe less from London, I was always fyling to Birmingham. You could check out the eurotunnel and go to France by train, if they do passenger trains too, not sure.

All I know is once your in west Germany you could pretty much walk to the Netherlands. I live near Cologne and its like half an hour to ther next coffeeshop in Holland.

3. #3 Yorkiebar, Jan 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2010
    You can get a direct high-speed train through the Channel Tunnel from London to Paris or Brussels, I'm not sure how the price compares to flying but I imagine it's cheaper. Once in mainland Europe, you can use an inter-rail global pass which basically gives you unlimited travel, you can just hop on and off any trains you like for as long as your trip lasts. It also allows you a discount on the Channel Tunnel train.

Prague and Berlin are definitely the highlights for culture, art and history. Amsterdam is great for obvious reasons :) and so is Copenhagen. Beyond that.. Whatever takes your fancy :)

InterRail - travel Europe by train

RailPass-Shop.com - buy European rail tickets online - InterRail Global Passes, InterRail Single Country Passes, ...

4. Oh yeah, one more question...for those that have vistited before, how much did you save up for your trip/how much did the trip cost?