UFO in Shanghai, China. Self blogged. May 14, 2011

Discussion in 'Science and Nature' started by coloradomountainman, May 14, 2011.

1. I'll give the OP the benefit of the doubt that he is honest and that these photos are legitimate and unedited, with the exception of resizing the pic. Their really isn't that much detail in the pics and based off of the pics, there's no way to tell what the hell the pictures are of. Let's also remember what the U in UFO stands for. Unidentified. If anyone claims that these are extraterrestrials because we don't know what they are, they are making the argument from ignorance fallacy. It would be awesome if extraterrestrials visited us, but given the vast, vast distances between the stars, I find the notion of extraterrestrial visits highly irrational and unfeasible.

2. Why are extraterrestrial visits highly irrational and unfeasible? Because we as humans cannot percieve that perhaps extraterrestrials have technology eons beyond ours that allows them not only to travel the universe but at incredible speeds? Perhaps they have harnessed a new kind of energy we've never even heard of that doesn't even exist in our galaxy. Of course this is all speculation but basing something because of our HUMAN understanding is ignorant in itself.

3. Precisely.

To the self proclaimed 'physicist' I would like to put forth that your perceived self importance and knowledge of that field might limit your understanding of new and innovative concepts.

Much like an old school Newtonian physicist might argue till he's blue in the face with a quantum physicist that what he is proposing is 'highly irrational and unfeasible'.

4. Given how vast the cosmos is and the fact that the earth has only been around for 4.55 of the universes 13.7 billion years, I find the idea that extraterrestrial visits are irrational and unfeasible very narrow-minded.

Imagine some real old planets that have been supporting life for much more time than earth has, it's not unreasonable to think there are some forms of life capable of intergalactic travel, especially if there are forms of life with lifespans far greater than ours.

5. #65 METARON, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011
    This is scary.

I've seen a TON of ufos in my area as of recently.

It's weird because every time I get the urge to look up at the sky, there seems to always be one there.

I see ufos on a weekly basis, so this doesn't surprise me.

My bro theorized that these ufos are actually man-made - and that the super rich folk are living in space ships. I guess the tech is finally coming around.

I mean, isn't there some stupid smart people out there with god-like engineering skills?? You would think that this tech should have been thought of and built a long time ago.

6. lol, Ive been watching Ancient Aliens all day....sick with some flu type shit.grr...but they have showed many famous religious pics with ufo-like objects in the backgrounds....never noticed those beforrrrreee

7. The only understanding that we have to base things off of is human understanding. Also, the universe has a speed limit for macroscopic things, which is the speed of light. Technology won't change the laws of physics, which are most likely the same throughout the universe. There have been some theoretical physicists that have shown that it's mathematically possible for a "warp drive," but the amount of energy required for one of those to be operational is pretty much impossible to acquire. I think that it might be possible that people who think that ET might have visited simply don't understand just how vast the distance of only one light year is.

8. awesome chinese firework? i think so.

9. #69 DirtySix, May 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2011
    Which is marginally higher than an apes, if we're honest.

Actually, it's been observed that the laws of physics tend to warp and change in different places in the universe. Gravity is the most popular anomaly showing some weird results. So, if we can observe it with our primitive understanding, we can reasonably infer that other things might be equally prone to warping, if not more.

With our current technology, yes.

I think you're just being willfully dense about certain aspects of your theory.

10. i love how before he posted pics, everyone was like "i demand pics or i call troll", then he posted pics and none of those people posted again.

11. When you consider what is necessary for intergalactic travel, the notion that it could be possible just sounds plain laughable.

It seems that those who think that extraterrestrial visits are possible only have baseless "what if" scenarios that they have no way in ever justifying. I have no respect for that crap.

12. Only when looking at our current capability. There's an unjustified level of arrogance here in thinking that humans are probably the most technologically advanced organism in the universe.

Ad hominem attacks are really making you look classy here.

13. And that is the type of understanding that you are basing your conclusions off of.

The laws of physics are the same everywhere. How they act in different places of the universe will be different, but that can be described using the same laws.

The amount of energy required for intergalactic travel has a mass equivalency of around 10^67 grams, which is more than the estimated mass of the universe. Acquiring energy of that magnitude is an unrealistic fantasy for any type of technology, no matter how advanced.

No, I'm being realistic. Do you have anything better than baseless "what if" scenarios that are completely unjustifiable? If so, let's hear them.

14. The Wizard of Oz called. They want their strawman back.

Enlighten me where I posted an ad hom attack, because it certainly was not in the post that you quoted. There's a huge, huge difference between an ad hom attack and making an observation about people's views. If you are going to claim that I am making logical fallacies, learn your logical fallacies first. False accusations are really making you look classy here.

15. I'm glad you're confident in the human race's understanding of the cosmos in which it insignificantly resides ever so briefly. Arrogance moves discussion nowhere.

I'm sorry but this is an incredibly silly thing to say. You're saying the laws of physics are the same, but their measurable results might be different in identical scenarios outside of 'where' it is? :laughing:

I forget, are we floating about the only star in the galaxy?

I'm being realistic too.

It's pretty foolish to think that we can determine how far technology can go with our current understanding and our current age in regards to the universe around us. We're still just dumb apes, you're just too into yourself to accept it.

16. More strawmen arguments. Boring.

There's a pretty big difference between the laws that describe nature and the results that those laws produce. Physics deals with equations in their most general forms so that they can be applied to more places. The underlying principles are the same regardless of the scenarios that look different.

No, but the nearest one to use is 4 light years.

I thought you didn't like ad hominem attacks. I have no idea how far technology will go, but I do know that acquiring the energy equivalence of 10^67 grams will require a massive violation of the first law of thermodynamics. That will be true no matter how advanced technology gets.

17. So, do you have anything better than a "what if" scenario that you have no way in justifying? If you do, let's hear it.

18. Relevant

Actually, they aren't. There's instances just in our solar system of there being inverse reactions to what should happen (the pioneer spacecraft).

Not quite intergalactic.

Oh no, I love them.

Can't you read?

19. so are those alians or wat

20. #80 DirtySix, May 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2011
    The pet shop called, they want their parrot back.

"I have no respect that crap"

The minute you come into any discussion and pretend to want to hold anything intelligent and say you can't respect or entertain someone's point of view, you disqualify yourself from having a reasonable discussion. Period.

So if you wanna keep playing that game, we can talk about how you arrogantly hold onto your truths without being able to entertain the idea you might be wrong. Much like creationists clutch to their Bible.