UCRDWC(anytips?) or Coco Coir w/drip

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by SWGrower5369, Oct 12, 2019.

1. I am a farmer, yet have never grown cannabis and am having trouble choosing a growing medium and style.
    I think I have narrowed it down to ]either a UCRDWC(anytips?) or Coco Coir w/drip.
    I don't mind maintenance or work, yet I am a Newbie an the system may have to go a few days unattended from time to time.

I'm a knowledge fiend, so any tips from experienced growers are welcomed.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Coco would be the easiest, and less expensive because less equipment is required. A bucket and some coco.
    Good luck and welcome to GC. :)

• Like Like x 3
  3. hey @SWGrower5369 welcome to the city.
    idk about that

I recommend checking out Ronald Kleinman

• Like Like x 1
  4. Coco doesn't require an air pump, air lines, airstones, and you don't have to worry about root rot if the temps are too high.
    Different strokes. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Water can be the simplest grow medium.

I'm a big fan of larger, multiple plant Deep Water Culture systems hooked up to an external storage reservoir.
    A multiple plant reservoir mimics re-circulation without needing pumps or hoses, because all the plants always get the same nutrient solution.
    Top feed plus air stone provides great aeration and keeps the system well mixed.

An external storage reservoir with float valve can allow the system to be left unattended for several days:
    GH Controller Complete

I started off with this sysem, which I still love, but needed less height and more spread out plants:
    EcoGrower Drip Hydroponic System
    I add air stones, but that's not really necessary.

Current Culture sells some of the multiple plant reservoirs, and I've used this:
    https://cch2o.com/products/hydroponic-systems/ucsolopro4/

DIY versions aren't too difficult using something like this:
    Active Aqua Reservoir Kit, 20 gal – Horticulture Source

The main disadvantage of these systems is that all plants get the same food, and plant-to-light distances can vary. I haven't found these to be serious problems though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. How often do you have to change your water? I was reading every week in a DWC unless being circulated.

7. yes, but it doesn't require coco either, and larger scale operations don't necessarily need more waste. Also, some people sell the roots to others that are making ointments. I just compost mine, but u never know.
    I do agree with you though, initial costs may be higher, but overall, just water in rdwc, so long term maybe better.

*I grow in coco and hydro atm. I like them both. Just took this picture earlier today:
    upload_2019-10-12_16-5-44.png

• Like Like x 2
  8. how often do you have to Change your water in that bucket, before you start running into problems?

9. Nice comparison pic brother. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  10. depends on the size of the reservoir and the quality of the water and nutrients being used. Hard water with high carbonate is a good buffer, but maybe not in hydro systems, since they can off set the analysis of EC and pH.
    Water quality and its temperature are important in hydroponics and RO water is recommended. Some people use hard water but exchange the solution more often.
    Nutrients are an important factor in hydro, moreso than in coco. In coco, I can use hard water and that's that.

So hydro, expect to invest in RO system, and possibly 3:1 wastewater, so that's not good.
    Whereas coco, larger waste, can't really sell roots, but can use water, just water, without worries.

anyhow, larger res, less changing it, I personally only use a 5gal reservoir that I maintain on a daily basis, but it doesn't need to be like that. A larger reservoir, I would maybe only check it once in a while if the lime in the water didn't cause the pH to rise too much, or that the EC was in good range. A lot of reservoirs are self automated nowadays, so, just fill it up, use injectors to give it nutes... done.

thanks bro, imma scrog them girls soon!

11. It also depends at what stage they are in. The mid-late stage, they be drinking... a lot!

12. I've been experimenting with how often to change the water my past 4 grows.
    4th grow ago, I changed out every 10-14 days, which is a giant pain.
    3rd grow ago I emptied out 1 gallon per day from a 13 usable gallon reservoir, which spreads out the work.
    2nd grow ago I never changed out the reservoir, even once.
    This time I'm changing out 1/2 gallon per day.
    I do add 1 drop clorox per gallon per day to kill microbes.

My conclusion: the advice to change the reservoir every 7-14 days is made by the fertilizer companies to sell more fertilizer.

I saw no difference in these 4 grows.
    No evidence of buildup of any elements. No root rot. Absolutely nothing at all wrong.

I don't think circulation makes any difference on how often to change.

• Like Like x 2
  13. So you have a main reservoir, and your DWC buckets gravity fill to level. correct.

14. Yes, gravity is enough.
    1 GH WaterFarm controller is hooked up thru a T-fitting to two different 15 usable gal, multiple-plant reservoirs in 2 different tents.
    The bucket(s) water level(s) must be carefully matched to the controller bucket.
    No pumps except for the two small, external air pumps for each tent that feed the air stones and the top feed.

When pH and ppm get dialed in, this is a very easy setup.

15. Since your reservoir is outside of the tents, does it keep temp levels from room temperature?

16. It's about 70-73 F in my basement, and that's the average reservoirs' temperatures.
    The plants have been drinking about 1.5 gal per day in each tent, which is about 10% of the reservoirs' volumes, so the external reservoirs's effect on tent temperature is minimal.
    A bigger factor is the temperature of the basement floor that the reservoirs feel thru the tent floors.

• Like Like x 1