U.S. press freedom plunges to 46th, placing it behind former Soviet states

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Earth Ling, Feb 13, 2014.

Ever heard of journalist Glenn Greenwald? He plans on coming back to The States despite threats of arrest by Washington:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M81mJ8i0jkQ

Point: Tyranny rarely comes in one fell swoop; it comes bit by bit, inch by inch -- as several of the Founders pointed out. Freedoms are taken away, then sometimes given back, but not always fully. But the noose slowly tightens, decade by decade. Even Hitler had to go bit by bit.

Abraham Lincoln had newspaper editors jailed for opposing him, so the suppression of the American press goes back a long time.

I grew up in the 50s and 60s and the amount of freedom lost since then is astounding.

Yup. And there is pretty overwhelming evidence that FDR wanted to get into WWII and knew about Japan's plan to attack Pearl Harbor, and used it as an excuse to get Americans riled up enough to support going to war. These are age-old tactics actually.

It's on historical record that FDR was squeezing Japan very hard, as I recall he seized their American assets and also cut off their oil supply. He clearly provoked them.

The interesting thing is that these huge lies always come to light after the main players are dead, when there is little or no political backlash. Haha, the masses are so stupid -- they keep on believing and supporting politicians and the state.

Oh well, it's fun to observe and laugh at. There's nothing else we can do.

3. #23 240sxLover, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
    I can understand you don't want your freedoms encroached upon dude but you go about this forum with your opinions like they're the end all be all, chill out. I'm just stating that things are pretty good here in the US, despite the fact that the dollar is worth only 2/3rds of the pound and such. I'm just as upset with the way things are going, you don't have to be a dick.

Once again, I'll state that we are here talking shit about the government on the internet, and none of us are in jail. I don't think things are THAT totalitarian here.

Edit: On another note I'll be avoiding the politics forum more now, I realize I don't belong here.

4. #24 240sxLover, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
    No crap he knew man, not to be rude. Like you said, age old tactics. It's taught in public schools (maybe not in high school but in college) that the U.S. deliberately antagonized Japan by cutting off the only oil supply they had. I'm pretty sure many of us would be fine with war with Japan either way, they were being dicks. Just ask any China man or Korean or Vietnamese dude (prior to our involvement in Vietnam lol, we were bros before the war).

5. My friends grandfather lived in Nazi Germany, his father used to say the same sort of stuff. There is no way Germany would improsin and kill people, the Germans are a democracy a civilized people. He died in a concentration camp. Totalitarian shit can happen anywhere no place is  immune, and all you have to do is glance at the headlines to see where the ol' USA is headed. 

6. Well, okay you have a point. I'd like to think I could see that coming and clear out.... Hindsight is always 20/20.

Yup. Your post reminds me of this book, one I've never read but should:

[​IMG]

From Amazon:

"It is a fascinating story and a deeply moving one. And it is a story that should make people pause and think-think not only about the Germans, but also about themselves." - Ernest S. Pisko, Christian Science Monitor

"Writing as a liberal American journalist of German descent and Jewish religious persuasion Mr. Mayer aims-and in the opinion of this reviewer largely succeeds-at scrupulous fairness and unsparing honesty. It is this that gives his book its muscular punch." - Walter L. Dorn, Saturday Review