Typical 'Looking for a car!' post

Discussion in 'Planes, Trains & Automobiles' started by JackTheTrippa, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Hello my blades and bladies, longtime lurker here needing a little help. I'm in the process of selling my Wrangler, mainly due to gas prices, and am in search of a new mobile-smoke-hut. Due to the unrest spreading across the middle east, combined with the fact that we've passed peak oil production, gas has nowhere to go but up, and fuck that shit. So I'm mainly looking at 4 cylinder hatchbacks.

My needs are pretty simple. Gas economy needs to be DANK, I don't go a lot of places, but I only work part-time, so I need to get there cheap! Reliability is also a must, for the same financial constraints. Other than that, it just needs to be fun to drive, haha. Hatchbacks are also a strong plus, because the last two cars I've had (89 mustang gt 5.0 convertible, and an '04 Wrangler sport) didn't have shit for cargo space, so my subs ended up taking up the back seat (which is all good, 'cause they straight POUND there).

Here's what I've been looking at:
    Mid-late 90's Civic Hatchback
    Mazda3
    VW Rabbit/Golf/GTI (THE car I want, but reliability is too uncertain at the moment... any experiences?)
    Nissan Versa
    Chevy Cobalt SS (Not a hatch, but there's just something about 'em I like)

My budget is AT THE MOST $10k American, however THE CHEAPER THE BETTER (without buying a straight POS, haha). Ideally, I'd like to get something around $4-5k, because then I could spend about a thousand in the audio, plus have an emergency fund for repairs.

So blades and bladies, any suggestions or comments on what I've already looked at? Thanks in advance!

2. i would go with the VW, personally.

a little classier than a civic hatch, you won't attract as much negative attention.

by negative attention, i don't mean cops. i mean people hate seeing a young guy in a civic.

3. The VW is my personal first choice, I'm just scared to death that I'm gonna buy one and then have some major mechanical issues shortly after. Both cars I've owned have had fairly significant breakdowns within a month of purchase, haha (locked up air-pump and snapped serpentine belt on the mustang, blown front end differential on the jeep). Any recommendations on model years?

4. #4 Blink 182, Feb 21, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
    Yea i'd really go with VW aswell. Especially the TDI, it's a great all around vehicle. And if your looking for a hatch back its right up your ally. Plus they get great gas mileage and have pretty good torque.
    As far as model year, I'd be looking at 97's-03's. You should be able to find some in the 4k-7k price range.

5. Fucking Jeeps man they always break and use a shit load of gas but, they are so fun to drive. I'd also go with the VW Golf couldn't say a year though sorry.

6. I drive a 2003 Volvo S60. Stylish, safe, reliable! Its got a 2.4 inline 5 N/A, so insurance and gas aren't too bad :p I'd look at some Swedish tanks if I were you, you'd be able to find one in excellent condition in your price range.

7. Don't get a Civic. All the hatches have been beat to the shits by idiots. A VW would be your best bet. And to avoid breakdowns just after purchase, make sure to check that shit out thoroughly before buying, and don't beat it up either.

8. 2000-2002 Audi A4, S4, etc.
    Old school BMW's
    ^for destroying your budget

Golf GTI
    ^get it