Typical Ga congressmen

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Kiwi Kick, Feb 7, 2009.

1. So the other day I sent an email to Phil Gingrey, one of my representatives, regarding legalization/decriminalization and at the very least medicinal marijuana. Here was his response.

Dear Jeff:
    Thank you for contacting me regarding the legalization of marijuana. It is good to hear from you.
    As you know, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has classified marijuana, together with heroin, LSD, methamphetamines, hashish, and a number of other drugs as Schedule I drugs. According to the FDA, these drugs carry a high potential for dangerous abuse, and as a result doctors have been prohibited from prescribing them for medicinal purposes.
    I am unalterably opposed to the legalization of marijuana. While I respect the views of residents of states that have adopted legislation regarding the medical use of marijuana, I am concerned that legalization will result in increased abuse of all varieties of drugs.
    Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please continue to keep me informed as to the issues concerning you.

As you fellow Ga residents probably already know, this is going to take a lot of work. Stupid conservative south. I really hope that bill in Athens passes because we need some sort of a boost, not just in Ga, but for the entire southeast. I encourage everyone to write to their congressmen and tell them your stance on marijuana. The more support the better.

2. Don't stop there, write a rebuttal.

Let him know that in order for a substance to be classified as a Schedule I substance it has to meet these requirements:

• The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.

• The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.

• There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.

In the Netherlands, where cannabis is de facto legalized, cannabis use rates by minors has dropped significantly, as the taboo nature from the use of marijuana is gone.

Why should a substance that has not had a single recorded death directly related to the use of cannabis in history be prohibited, when alcohol and tobacco combine for nearly a half million dollars per year?

Tell him that 14 states have medical marijuana programs, and doctors are not in fact prohibited from reccomending that their patient use cannabis over other medications.

Do not settle for the lame duck response, fight back with the power of knowledge.

3. Kiwi Kick -- congrats on contacting your representative(s). We all need to do this - in every state.

to those of you reading this who think politicians don't listen / politics is boring --- I was the same way.... but these people only want to be re-elected and they can only do that with the majority of the votes. The anti MJs will change their tune only when they hear from us in numbers.

Matticus -- couldn't agree more -- what purpose does booze serve? NONE.

4. Saxby Chambliss sent me an identical letter, it is just the standard answer they give...

-C