Type 1 Diabetes and Weed

Discussion in 'General' started by bennieboy777, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Hey all,

I'll just start off first of all by saying I just tried weed for the first time a little over a month ago for my 18th birthday. Man, I now realize what I've been missing all these years.:smoke:

Anyway, I am also a type 1 diabetic. But unlike most of my peers my age with diabetes, I keep my blood sugars perfect all the time. In fact, my A1C (blood test done every three months to monitor mean blood sugar) is better than any doctor I've had.

But here's the thing, I don't quite understand how weed effects my blood sugar. I feel low but I'm not really low, I eat and do insullin and my blood sugar doesn't go anywhere so I assume I'll go low later, so I eat a little more and I wake up the next morning with a 300 blood sugar.

Anyway, I just want to know if there are any other diabetics on here who were more experienced with this and could possibly fill me in on how to go about it.

Thanks for any replies!

PS: Again I'm new to smoking so don't flame if this is a stupid question, but is it normal to feel really cloudy minded the day after smoking? Like if I smoke one night, I wake up the next day and throughout the whole day I cannot form a clear thought as easily, it's like my brain is slowed down.

2. I can't actually answer the rest of your question because I know no diabetic smokers, so I will do my best to help with this part.

This isn't abnormal, and it can be caused by use of other medication. If you take Vyvance or Adderall as medication for ADD/ADHD then this is actually very common. This could also just be because you are new to smoking, and maybe smoked something really good. Or, if you did something like a vaporizer or perhaps had edibles then this could be why you feel cloudy into the next day. Hope that helped, good luck!

Happy tokin' :smoke:

3. Haha yeah I googled it for hours and couldn't find any answers so I'm not expecting anyone on here to have it either but I posted just in case :p

And it happens no matter how/what I smoke. I've smoked some ok stuff and I've smoked REALLY nice stuff either out of a bowl, bong, vape, and all of them make me feel a bit cloudy the next day. Does it just like go away the more you smoke?

Thanks for the quick reply btw :p

4. I don't remember when this stopped happening to me, but that might just be because I'm pretty much always high now.

I remember in high school I would smoke just to have this side affect though, or partially. I would smoke hardcore on sunday night, hotbox my car or something, then show up at school just feeling pleasant the next day.

5. well i know ganja is supposed to lower your blood sugar, by how much? not sure. I honestly think u should be ok, but if ur taking corticosteroids before bed (prednisone) then that could be the reason your blood sugar is so high when u wake up.

One of my best friends (known him since second grade, 22 now) has juvenile/Type 1 diabetes and used to smoke but stopped because he would get very dizzy. Thats a sign of low blood sugar, so I'm not too sure how much it effects each person. Maybe for some people it has no effect and for others (like my friend) can be pretty detrimental.

6. I'm type 2 and under control with a few dietary changes and dropping weight. :D So I can't help you there. My List (1st link in my sig) has a bunch of studies and articles on diabetes, in case you want to do further research.

But what I want all of you to learn about cannabidiol, CBD! THC is a lot of fun, but diabetics need CBD! These should fill you in-

Cannabidiol Preserves Retinal Neurons and Reduces Vascular Permeability in Experimental Diabetes (abst - 2004)
    Cannabidiol Preserves Retinal Neurons and Reduces Vascular Permeability in Experimental Diabetes -- Liou et al. 45 (5): 860 -- ARVO Meeting Abstracts

Neuroprotective and Blood-Retinal Barrier-Preserving Effects of Cannabidiol in Experimental Diabetes (full - 2006) Neuroprotective and Blood-Retinal Barrier-Preserving Effects of Cannabidiol in Experimental Diabetes

Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy (news - 2006)
    Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy

Cannabidiol, a marijuana compound, may help stop diabetic retinopathy (news – 2006)
    Cannabidiol, a marijuana compound, may help stop diabetic retinopathy

Marijuana Compound Offers Hope In Diabetic Retinopathy Prevention (news – 2006)
    Marijuana Compound Offers Hope In Diabetic Retinopathy Prevention ( A compound in marijuana has been found ...)

Cannabidiol arrests onset of autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice (full - 2007)
    http://safeaccess.ca/research/pdf/WeissCBD_ArrestsDiabetesNeuropharmacology2007.pdf

Cannabidiol As a Putative Novel Therapy for Diabetic Retinopathy: A Postulated Mechanism of Action as an Entry Point for Biomarker-Guided Clinical Development. (full - 2009) Cannabidiol As a Putative Novel Therapy for Diabetic Retinopathy: A Postulated Mechanism of Action as an Entry Point for Biomarker-Guided Clinical Development

Cannabidiol protects retinal neurons by preserving glutamine synthetase activity in diabetes. (full - 2010) Cannabidiol protects retinal neurons by preserving glutamine synthetase activity in diabetes

Cannabidiol Attenuates Cardiac Dysfunction, Oxidative Stress, Fibrosis, and Inflammatory and Cell Death Signaling Pathways in Diabetic Cardiomyopathy
    (full - 2010) http://www.natap.org/2010/newsUpdates/marijuana.pdf

Pot Compound Mitigates Diabetic Cardiomyopathy (news - 2010)
    Pot Compound Mitigates Diabetic Cardiomyopathy

Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts (news - 2010)
    Lab Notes: Pot Has Benefits for Diabetic Hearts

Cannabidiol attenuates cardiac dysfunction, oxidative stress, fibrosis, and inflammatory and cell death signaling pathways in diabetic cardiomyopathy. (abst – 2011) Unbound MEDLINE | Cannabidiol attenuates cardiac dysfunction, oxidative stress, fibrosis, and inflammatory and cell death signaling pathways in diabetic cardiomyopathy. PubMed Journal article abstract

[FONT=&quot]The Endocannabinoid System: Plant-Derived Cannabinoids in Diabetes and Diabetic Complications. (abst – 2011) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]The endocannabinoid system and plant-derived can... [Am J Pathol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI[/FONT]

TL;DR - CBD prevents the formation of the leaky blood vessels that form in diabetic retinopathy, the #1 cause of blindness in adults. CBD helps to protect your heart and nerves from diabetic damage.

Granny :wave:

7. I don't take any medication before bed, but I think next time I smoke, I'm just going to eat a small amount without insullin before I smoke, then just do normal insullin dosages for everything and see what happens. I've heard stories about weed significantly effecting people with hypoglycemia, turning a fun night into a hospital visit. But I think I'll be fine if I just keep my blood sugar up just a little bit. And I'm hoping the "cloudy day after" feeling goes away eventually, otherwise I'm loving smoking so far! :smoke:

8. ya that afterglow/burned out feeling or whatever u want to call it, will go away eventually especially as your tolerance increases. Eventually u will get to the point (like me) where u will light up and less than an hour and half later and I am completely base line. Enjoy what u have while it lasts

9. I made an account on this site just to answer your question. I just started smoking since February, and I have had type one diabetes since March. I find that when I smoke I get the dry mouth and headache that comes with getting high blood levels, so I check, and my levels are perfectly fine, meaning the dry mouth is because of the cannabis. When I have low blood sugars, I get extremely shaky, but because of the munchies, I don't seem to get as many lows when I smoke.

My A1C went from 10.6 to 6.5 from March to present.

Anyways, to answer your original question, when I first started smoking, regardless of after the diabetes or not, I was very fuzzy the next day. It isn't like that now. I take 5 units of Levemir (long-lasting insulin) at night, and I wake up around 130-140 in the morning. I smoke maybe two decent size bowls every other night and it doesn't seem to have a negative effect on my levels.

According to studies in the UK that they are doing with type 2 diabetes and cannabis, they are finding that THC helps to keep blood levels fairly stable. Whereas alcohol affects the liver so that if you go low, the liver can't provide the glucose store to your body since it is taking care of the 'poison' of the alcohol.

Watch what type of strain you are smoking, sativa/indica; I find that each one has a different affect on how I feel.

I wish you luck.

10. If you guys and speaking to all type 1 diabetecs there is a way to reduce insulin intake completely unfortunately I live in a state where it is illegal if you guys are interested it's a book called Phoenix tears by Rick simpson