Two strains, two problems

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by CaliChronIK, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

This is my first grow, I'm growing Dream Queen (Blue Dream x Space Queen) and Pre 98 Bubba Kush, both in 4:1 perlite/vermiculite Hempy buckets. I'm in So Cal, and my tent temperature ranges with the weather. The highest it has hit is 91F, but usually ranges from 75F to 84F. Lights are a Mars Hydro 96*3W reflector series placed at about 20" above the plants, and one 105W CFL at 6500K hanging on the outside of each plant, a total of two. Plants are about 3-4 inches away from CFL's, directly to the side. Lights are providing for two plants in a 4'x2'x5' tent.

Ventilation seems to be adequate, quite a bit of negative pressure on the tent.

I'm using General Hydroponics Maxi series, though after further research I'm strongly considering going Lucas formula with the Maxibloom alone.

Both plants were rooted clones when I transferred them to their current (and final) pots. I've seen a bit of growth from both, but nothing from what I've seen described here as when the roots hit the resevoir.

To preface, my watering/feeding habits have been a bit inconsistent, as I started feeding them with weak solution nutes (150 ppm). I fed with the Maxigro (before finding out about the Lucas Formula) for the first 2 days, skipped 2 days after what looked like to me to be signs of overwatering on the Bubba K, and then went back to watering daily with plain ph'd water. So not too steady as you can see.

The first set of pictures are from the Dream Queen. The new growth looks awesome to my unexperienced eyes, a nice solid "lighter" green, but the older leaves are considerably darker, and almost seem to be getting a bit of purple on them. From what I researched, this may be the beginnings of a phosphorous deficiency? The new growth looks good however, so I'm not sure what to make of this.
    IMAG0538.jpg

IMAG0542.jpg

The Bubba K, on the other hand, has pretty decent color from what I can tell, but as you can see is drooping, almost as if it's over watered. But impossible in a hempy right? There is also a bit of yellow on 2 of leaves you can see in the second picture

IMAG0535.jpg

IMAG0527.jpg

IMAG0533.jpg

Any help I can get would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Hello, looks to me like you have a mix of over temp and over watering.
    Vermiculite and perlite are meant to hold moisture and add much-needed aeration to the soil. Have you been checking your ph? You could have a lockout.

3. #4 CaliChronIK, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
    Yes, I checked the runoff ph and it was high at 6.8. I've read conflicting theories about adjusting based off runoff ph and others saying to ignore runoff and just make sure what is going in is correct.
    Temperature has been a little more in control this last week, ranging from 72 - 82F

Thanks for the reply

4. Some updated pictures from today

Dream Queen

20150708_012736.jpg

20150708_012813.jpg

20150708_012808.jpg

The Bubba Kush. Notice the twisted leaves and darkening on the edges and tips.

20150708_012758.jpg

20150708_012802.jpg

20150708_012824.jpg

Phosphorous deficiency? I don't think from what I've seen that the roots have hit the reservoir yet, should I start feeding?

Runoff ph last checked was 6.8, but when I water, ph going in is 5.8-6.0, using the same meter. Should I adjust ph based off runoff?