Two same seeds very different results

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Secondyearamatr, Jul 19, 2012.

1. What the...2 Acapulco Gold seeds planted within a week of each other. Both started growing huge hairy buds but when letting them go into swelling and final flowering stage one looks and smells great - the other the bud is dry,no smell, absolutely no sugar, smells like lawn shavings. I picked a bud and dried and cure and it tastes just as bad. Also, it looks at this late stage (which is now 9 weeks in the flower tent) like it is trying to produce seeds at the tips of the buds???

400 W hpx
    125 w squigly compact fluorescent
    And a set with 8 22 inch T5s at 2600k
    ge neral hydroponics floranova series nutes

Anyone have an idea what went wrong?

2. Are you sure that what you're seeing on the less desirable plant aren't male flowers? I don't know the strain well myself, but keep in mind the possibility of different phenotypes.

3. Not sure. They are big and fat like her sister but hard dry bud with no sugar very well could be male and I thought that too and got it out of the tent and again it has been flowering for 9 weeks after about 2 months veg?

4. Probably different phenotypes. I'd be worried if they were cuts from the same mother though.

As for the seeds, maybe it's a hermie, buds that are foxtailing, or a male? Post some pics.

5. I'll try some pics tonight (working today) but my camera leaves a bit to b desired

6. Sorry can't manage a pic from this Android tabet stupid thing that I bought.

7. Sounds like the worst pheno EVA!

8. that my friend is a genetic hermie... look very closely at the female flowers and i bet you see some very light green colored looking bananas, which are tiny and hard to see. they will be noticeably more light green than the rest of the bud. are your pistils turning brown also? instead of turning orange-ish, when a plant becomes pollinated,they turn yellowish at first then brown and fall off leaving seed pods(swollen calyxes)

this kind of hermie doesnt have pollen sacks like most would expect to see, or look for to check for being a hermie.

9. Wow thanks for the replies. Great community so far! Panda - you are right on all counts; the bananas (which I thought were going to be pollen sacs), pistils turning brown (I wondered why this one w looked closer to harv stage than its 1week younger sister). Boy did it STINK with the close-up whiff test. I quick dried some and it tasted almost worse than it smelledand a slight buzz. Well thanks again, oh can someone explain how this happens and (as in the sister which is sugar city and smells great) how does a plant that is supposedly from feminzed seeds have seeds in it? Not a lot at all. Actually that is where I got the seeds from that produced these plants. OK all done just call me the old windbag...

10. thats pretty interesting... it didnt fertilize your other plant? did it fertilize itself or just show these weird organs?

11. Actually just the beginning of the organs. It didn't have time to pollenate nor grow seeds.

12. those hermies usually only self pollinate where the male stamen are located, they produce just a tiny amount of pollen. all seeds from that, will be 99% true hermies like its mom-dad lol. they most likely wont pollinate another plant unless its pretty much rubbing up on it, although i have found 1 or 2 seeds in other plants while finding out i had 1 of these "true herms" also.

in the last year i have found 3 of them, they always smell bad, taste bad, produce little to no resign, and a complete waste of time. have to kill all the clones of it(if any) they will all turn out the same. so keep the good pheno and kill the herms :)

most of the marijuana plant population is hermaphrodites, or have herm genes in it. if a plant is pollinated by its self(creating feminized seeds), and the original plant has hermaphroditic tendencies, there is a chance that breeding with its self could bring out the recessive herm trait and make it dominant. so some seeds from the same batch could be female(recessive herm traits) and you could also end up with a "true herm"

13. let the plant finish or just cut it early, use all of the bud to make hash, that way you can at least smoke it or make some edibles. the bud does taste absolutely horrible, had a friend say it tasted like burned pot roast with carrots lol..

14. Just to carify. Are you saying the parent(s) of the seeds was probably one plant carrying a recessive true herm trait that, that developed as a female, hermed for environmental reasons (or due to some other predisposition IE not true herm), and self polinated? Then those offspring have some with female dom and herm recessive and show female while others (like the one in question) got both recessive true herm traits and show true herm?

15. Pics of both?

16. if it was a feminized seed it was either selfed or cross bred with another female. it would have to depend on how strong the parents were or how the seeds were created. for example, if the parent plant was easily stressed and became herm, developed seeds, they would still be feminized(mostly female) but since it had herm traits in its genes, it could pair allele and become a physical characteristic of the plant to be a "true herm" other seeds of the same offspring could be fully female and hide the recessive herm trait until it is stressed, from what i understand.