Two main colas on one branch? Mutation?

Discussion in 'Advanced Growing Techniques' started by Jollybud, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Two top colas from the same branch right next to each other. This plant had lots of mutations like tri-leaf and leaf mutations. Is this rare or is it just unstable genetics?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. from the cola on the left it look like this Fasciation - Wikipedia
    its a mutation which cultivators often keep. i recomend save the genetics if you can

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cool! Thanks for the info that mutation looks exactly like this. Unfortunely this plant is a feminized auto so I can't preserve it. I could attempt a cell culture though

4. if you succeed please let me know of the process as i tried in the past and had issues

• Like Like x 1
  5. Wow I never knew that cannabis can mutate. I learned something new today. Thanks for posting. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Why?

• Like Like x 1
  7. 1. its pretty
    2. its bigger flower
    3. unique

• Like Like x 1
  8. Well if you could isolate the genetics then you could effectively double the maximum genetic yield of a plant. Say you top a plant and get 4 colas but if you could get a plant to express this then you would get 8 top colas instead of the typical 2-4

9. take a look here
    its the same strain side by side

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  10. More colas don't necessarily translate into doubling yield. It's still about space and light.

J

• Like Like x 1
  11. totally true if its artificial light - its the limiting factor.
    but natural light the limiting factor is different

12. That is a very funky looking bud you showed above.

Interesting to say the least.

J

• Like Like x 1
  13. #13 dabigbenbomb, Feb 2, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    The most interesting art of all these words is questioning why you dont at least try and clone that? I personally have never seen that with a cola on cannabis and thats pretty cool. I have really been researching mutations over the past few days to get to the bottom of some really interesting Colas I have seen and this is defintely the coolest one.I would feel confident in assuming that this is actually just a random mutation that does occur in nature and noticed and studied by us vs. it having anything to do with nutrients at least, but I definitely do wonder if there is a genetic thing going on with cloning plants and not counting any hormones or anything unnatural from nature. So we clone plants and basically just commit some pretty sick acts of incest to be able to keep on producing our precious strains.We know how human beings can conflict with genetic 'relations" to immediate family. I am well aware that interbreeding plants of the same family with the strongest members of all areas can lead to a very well thriving plant. So I can't really saw I'm question it as the product of incest, and more likely it was basically just siamese twins that happened naturally as it does with us frequently enough, and as well not due to any type of family inter-sex. That being said, I noticed something that could be possibly related to this while I was transplating my veg plants and looking for signs of a possible male as I handled each one(plant you pervs and at this point they are female so far). Where I had pinched a top, I had double the amount of the calyx and pistils that are typically expected. So where as there should have been 2 of each on each side of the split node, I had 4. Ok I think I worded that wrong. What I meant is where each one would be the are two mimicing eachother. In the center the two oppsoing mimics left and righ are growing directly out of the center in the of the split node and completely coinjoined in symmetry as the leter V splits perfectly with itself. It is an exact opposite clone coinjoied sharing the hip. . Ughhh I didn't grab a pic but I wasn't thinking about this i'll try and post tomorrow If I remember where the crap on which plant I even didn't acknowledge I noticed it til now.I would rationalize and say that it makes sense that maybe when I pinched the top in that location I didn't possibly get enough of it, and part of the genetic memory was left and grew back, but there was no new leaf or flower to sprout back as would should exactly happen while pinching.I have seen a lot of flower mutations but nothing like in your picture with cannabis and in person. Roses do it which is kinda funny considering and I have in deed in person watched my rose flower two flowers out of one and split exactly down the middle sharing 'twin features" on all sides while obviously conjoined. People who actually in to growing roses are familiar with this, but I only came across it while research our own favorite plant species. It looks identical to the same concept of siamese twin flower on the bud. I imagine there are other plants know to do this and treated as accepted but im already typing way to much here so yeah. And also please anyone let me know if you have seen this whole double sex organs deal at a pinched node. Super trooping all night got more plant EVERYTHING to research. Grow well.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Absolutely! I wouldn't expect to see a difference in yield without changing factors but if you could plan for it maybe it would be possible. But I don't know I am just thinking out loud. Also only one branch is exhibiting this which is confusing me more this may cause me to research genetics a little more in depth.

15. I could try and clone it but autos are supposed to be worthless to clone because their flowering is based on genetic age and not photoperiod. So if you clone it you will just get a small tiny nug and then it will die. However I do not think this strains genetics are that stable and it didn't flower until I switched to 12/12 like the other plants. My suspicion is that in order to get higher yields and plant size compared to traditional autos they had to settle with the unstable genetics that goes along with it. So maybe I will try to take a clone. Also only one branch is exhibiting the mutation and all the others are normal so I'm not sure if it is even possible to preserve this mutation.

16. Im thinking a couple of things here. It's nice to actually talk to someone who has had the issue because too many people will just tell you that ur fucking it up and they dont have a clue about anything about ur regiment. If you have not grown this issue, then maybe you should sit back and just listen. That being said. So I know my mentors regiment completely, even If I choose to follow it a bit differently. I still have this feeling gentics play some part and the cloning. One thing he didnt realize he was doing, even though he was trying not to and knows, was not getting rid of the nitrogen soon enough in flower. No I know there really is no way aside from peoples experiences to really pinpoint the matter, but I have a feeling the high nitrogen was a part of it. It wasn't crazy high bith he was using a combo nute for final flowering that still had a very low content of nitrogen and he really didn't think it mattered or considered it. When I brought it up to him he really was like oh damn dude youve been doing homework and I must say I was proud. Regardless if that is the issue for everyone, or even the issue at all, its worth considering. These are things I notice about when this happens and its really hard to find pics someone took to share in this topic and sad to say I don't have any of my own but I will make sure to detail it the next time when it happens. People are referring to this as foxtail, but at the same time I think there are different styles of "foxtail" and mutiple different reasons for it to happen. Everytime I have seen this from my buddies grow is always when Im trimming his bud, but never see it on mine. The bud that I see the foxtails on is usually a hermaphrodite. I have seen the same exact style foxtails on his plants on a straight female as well. But where this gets interesting is that I want to correlate it all to stress. Stress will cause a female to go herm and there is nothing better (aside from not watering or no light) to stress ur matured flower plants out than keep feeding them nitrogen when they are only trying to get rid of it. This in my own theory and backed up with a little other growers points could possibly make your flowers want to get the hell away from the nitrogen and grow further up the cola, and combined with light issues really seems evidently to be a possible cause of this issue. Again so I said my buddy was flushing the last 10 days but it wasn't just water it was nutes. So the stress of all the nitrogen must have been why I keep seeing Herms pop out of his grow right at the end of cycle, like the last week and I wouldn't even really say it happened before then. then they grow all weird. The thing about this that is tripping me out the most, l;et me restate. I took over my current grow from someone else who really screwed up. I have veg plants that are around ten inches tall that I was reaaly shocked to see how well I assumed they were topped in terms of how close the nodes were together. Im talking within less than a half inch of eachother they just didnt stretch. Now Im looking at them because I threw them in flower to get rid of them asap as I dont pick up other peoples work, they are gonna grow with that crazy long extended foxatil. I have multiples of them in my tiny veg plants and I have never seen this occur so early. I hate the fact that I don't have even a conclusion, but I am glad the issue is being addressesd and I will definitely be reporting back once I see how those lil babies are going to flower. I am on well water at this grow and wondering if this is possible to be a concentration of something in the water I am unaware of. I highly doubt it, but I also can't validate cloning genetics when its two different strains happenning at the same time in my grow.

17. sorry I had to edit the one thing I overlooked and just completely changed everything I even thought. ONE STEM? wtf dude... Ok I could only go to something that could possibly occure while pinching tops and the rest is beyond me. and acually so true because I guess thinking on it I maybe olnly noticed a cola or two that were affected and not the rest...dang man. ughhh lol

18. Ops plant Is just a branch that started to flower before the nodes had a chance to actually branch out.. Don't clone an auto, there's no way to keep it alive

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  20. I dont deal with autos so ill make that clear my advice there is unproven and just a theory. I have a seperate room for my experiments and ive done some cool things that arent common knowledge in the community