Two hermaphrodites.

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by mkhsmkpt, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Well, not really sure where this belongs but here's the story.
    I've been growing two seeds from a friend, indoor. They're 11 weeks old and I started flowering two weeks ago. I've suspected one to be a male, due to size, shape and leaf color (My friend said both seeds were from the same strain). I was right, at least I thought lol. About a week into flowering they started showing their colors. Little balls on the suspected male, calyx formation on the suspected female. I put the male outside not wanting to kill it, for whatever reason, kept watering and that's that. Well like two days ago I started seeing balls on the female inside and put her/him outside, upset wasn't going to harvest at all. Being I have ocd and made sure light contamination couldn't have been a factor, I was confused. Now they're both outside and both budding and both have little balls. So I'm guessing bad genetics ? I just wanna here some thoughts and what will happen and the end of their life cycle.
    P.S I'm gunna say Fuck it and keep growing them and try and knock of as many as the balls as I can to minimize seeds.
    Thanks !

Sent from my HTCONE using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. Here's some pictures
    1412558643218.jpg Suspected male about a month ago.
    1412558687729.jpg Suspected female about a month ago.
    1412558715792.jpg when I noticed balls on male. 1412558749144.jpg one I thought was male.. taken today.
    1412558801201.jpg thought female. taken today.

Sorry I never took a picture of the balls on the female, as I knocked them off.

3. i) Sex – Attempts to breed offspring of only one sexual type have led to more misunderstanding than any otherfacet of Cannabis genetics. The discoveries of McPhee (1925) and Schaffner (1928) showed that pure sexual type and hermaphrodite conditions are inherited and that the percentage of sexual types could be altered by crossing with certain hermaphrodites. Since then it has generally been assumed by researchers and breeders that a cross between ANY unselected hermaphrodite plant and a pistillate seed-parent should result in a population of all pistillate offspring. This is not the case. In most cases, the offspring of hermaphrodite parents tend toward hermaphrodism, which is largely unfavorable for the production of Cannabis other than fiber hemp. This is not to say that there is no tendency for hermaphrodite crosses to alter sex ratios in the offspring. The accidental release of some pollen fro predominantly pistillate hermaphrodites, along with the complete eradication of nearly every staminate and staminate hermaphrodite plant may have led to a shift in sexual ratio in domestic populations of sinsemilla Cannabis. It is commonly observed that these strains tend toward 60% to 80% pistillate plants and a few pistillate hermaphrodites are not uncommon in these populations.
    However, a cross can be made which will produce nearly all pistillate or staminate individuals. If the proper pistillate hermaphrodite plant is selected as the pollen parent and a pure pistillate plant is selected as the seed parent it is possible to produce an F1, and subsequent generations, of nearly all pistillate offspring. The proper pistillate hermaphrodite pollen-parent is one which has grown as a pure pistillate plant and at the end of the season, or under artificial environmental stress, begins to develop a very few staminate flowers. If pollen from these few staminate flowers forming on a pistillate plant is applied to a pure pistillate seed parent, the resulting F1 generation should be almost all pistillate with only a few pistillate hermaphrodites. This will also be the case if the selected pistillate hermaphrodite pollen source is selfed and bears its own seeds. Remember that a selfed hermaphrodite gives rise to more hermaphrodites, but a selfed pistillate plant that has given rise to a limited number of staminate flowers in response to environmental stresses should give rise to nearly all pistillate offspring. The F1 offspring may have a slight tendency to produce a few staminate flowers under further environmental stress and these are used to produce F2 seed. A monoecious strain produces 95+% plants with many pistillate and staminate flowers, but a dioecious strain produces 95+% pure pistillate or staminate plants. A plant from a dioecious strain with a few intersexual flowers is a pistillate or staminate hermaphrodite. Therefore, the difference between monoecism and hermaphrodism is one of degree, determined by genetics and environment.
    Crosses may also be performed to produce nearly all staminate offspring. This is accomplished by crossing a pure staminate plant with a staminate plant that has produced a few pistillate flowers due to environmental stress, or selfing the latter plant. It is readily apparent that in the wild this is not a likely possibility. Very few staminate plants live long enough to produce pistillate flowers, and when this does happen the number of seeds produced is limited to the few pistillate flowers that occur. In the case of a pistillate hermaphrodite, it may produce only a few staminate flowers, but each of these may produce thou sands of pollen grains, any one of which may fertilize one of the plentiful pistillate flowers, producing a seed. This is another reason that natural Cannabis populations tend toward predominantly pistillate and pistillate hermaphrodite plants. Artificial hermaphrodites can be produced by hormone sprays, mutilation, and altered light cycles. These should prove most useful for fixing traits and sexual type. Drug strains are selected for strong dioecious tendencies. Some breeders select strains with a sex ratio more nearly approaching one than a strain with a high pistillate sex ratio. They believe this reduces the chances of pistillate plants turning hermaphrodite later in the season.

4. Hold shit, thankyou. But honestly that kind of blew my mind. I think I absorbed most of it though. I'm not interested In the seeds or breeding though. I know the seeds would be bad. And will they both bud with few seeds if I minimize the staminate ? (is that the corrext word for balls ? Lol)

5. Assuming your correct and you do not have a genetic hermie, sound like you might could make things happen?  :confused_2:

6. If your hermie is NOT a genetic hermie, I'd get me some seeds. You had better reread the article.

7. I'm had my step dad who's been growing for a while read it.
    So how exactly would I know if it's a genetic hermie or not ? Thanks a lot mmman

8. If it's not a genetic, then it's an artificial hermie that's been stressed to make it express it's hermarphrodism.

9. Okay I was correct. It is genetic. Thanks again !

10. How many watts are you running?

Tuckerjonesisreal

11. I have two 2ft 4 bulb T5 fixture, like 192watts.
    But they're both outside and gunna stay haha.

12. Don't know If anyone cares but they both preceded into flowering and both haulted production of staminate. They're beautiful ! 1413734098967.jpg the "male"
    1413734124415.jpg the "female"
    1413734163434.jpg bud shot :)

13. Are those calyx or balls?

Attached Files:

14. I don't see any balls.

15. Ok, I didn't know what to make of the two seed shaped pistols in the center of the picture. Thought it might be an indication of a hermie.

16. Those aren't balls ma man....

17. Thanks guys! Day 20 flower first grow!

18. Good luck and have fun !

Definitely looks better than my first. Lol