Twitter hides Trump tweet for 'glorifying violence

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Vee, May 29, 2020.

1. [​IMG]
    Twitter has hidden a tweet by President Donald Trump from his profile, saying it violates rules
    about glorifying violence.

It did the same hours later when the official White House account tweeted a copy of the president's words.

Instead of being deleted, both tweets can be viewed by clicking on a prominent warning.

It says that "Twitter has determined that it may be in the public's interest for the Tweet to remain accessible."

This is the latest twist in an escalating row between Twitter and the White House.

Mr Trump was tweeting about the US city of Minneapolis, which has seen consecutive nights of protests following the death of a black man in police custody.
    [​IMG]
    The president said he would "send in the National Guard", and followed that up with a warning that "when the looting starts, the shooting starts."

That second tweet was hidden by Twitter for "glorifying violence".

Twitter's policy of adding a warning to, rather than deleting, tweets that break its rules when it comes to major public figures was announced in mid-2019. But the social network has never used it on Mr Trump - nor deleted any of his tweets before.

"This is the bravest and riskiest thing I've ever seen Twitter - or any social media giant - do," said Carl Miller, from the Centre for the Analysis of Social Media at UK-based think-tank Demos.

"This pours rocket fuel over the online-harm-versus-free-speech debate. Online content policy doesn't get more incendiary than this."

The same post remains unaltered on Facebook, without any warning attached.

The move means that other users will not be able to like, reply to, or simply retweet Mr Trump's post, Twitter said. However, they would still be able to retweet it with a comment attached.

In a Twitter thread, the social network said: "This tweet violates our policiesregarding the glorification of violence based on the historical context of the last line, its connection to violence, and the risk it could inspire similar actions today."

The "historical context" is a reference to the phrase "when the looting starts, the shooting starts", coined by Miami Police Chief Walter Headley in 1967, in reference to his aggressive policing policies in black neighbourhoods.

A later report submitted to the National Commission on the Causes and Prevention of Violence found that his "get tough" policy, involving "the frequent display of shotguns and dogs by Miami police in black neighbourhoods" contributed to a state of agitation in the black community until the eruption of the 1968 Miami riot some eight months later.

Twitter said: "We've taken action in the interest of preventing others from being inspired to commit violent acts, but have kept the tweet on Twitter because it is important that the public still be able to see the tweet given its relevance to ongoing matters of public importance."

Hours after the warning was added, President Trump tweeted: "Twitter is doing nothing about all of the lies & propaganda being put out by China or the Radical Left Democrat Party" and alleged that the social network was targeting Republicans.

He directly referenced the executive order he signed the previous evening, aimed at removing some of the legal protections given to social media platforms.

Earlier this week, Twitter used its fact-checking function to attach warnings to the president's tweets for the first time. That led the president to threaten to "shut down" social networks over allegedly stifling free speech.

The executive order signed by Mr Trump has no immediate effect on the social networks, however - instead, it begins a lengthy process that may result in changes down the line.

• Like Like x 3
  2. ALLLLLLLLLL LIES I TELL YOU.......it first started with Hillary.............since she was the one running against Mr Orange..............THEN it went to Mr. Obama..........since we was the one in office before Trump.......then it went to..........let me save the readers some time.........its ANYONE but Trump.................unless the "economy is the best its ever been"..........

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. 333.jpg
    What if he got booted then joined up here, then demands his trumptower on gc ..? lol

wheres admin when needed ...?????

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. :lmafoe:................Let me save you the scare........in order to join here.......you have to create an account......I BET MY LEFT NUT Trump couldn't do that by HIMSELF............so he would either need his son in law..........ya know..........the one that sat in on MULTIPLE TOP SECRET meetings........with NO clearance...........or he would need his daughter..........the one he wants to fornicate with............to set it up........

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. As I stated, yesterday, if Trump did happen to join and acted as he does, he wouldn't last a day here.

:smoke:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. One step of censorship at a time. And the idiots applaud it every step of the way. Because it's ok, they disagree with the opinions. Because principle doesn't matter when you're an authoritarian. Just let your social media overlords control the narratives as they please. The inches have been given and they're on their way to becoming miles. You either care about freedom of speech or you don't. There's no half measures.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Twitter doesn't have a Pandora's Box.
    The message is still available to read despite how racist it flashes to.
    Same with his absentee voting claims that have no foundation.
    Free speech doesn't mean freedom to spout lies and racism without flags.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Kinda the same thing we Lefties were saying about the repeal of Net Neutrality
    and the power of censorship the ISPs would wield.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Actually by the VERY definition.................it does...........IF YOU ARE THE PRESIDENT of the Country however.........I SURELY HOPE........and thank god........flags HAVE been raised...........

I get where you were going though ICG......

10. Because it is a mutually parasitic relationship, neither Twitter nor Trump will walk away. The sad reality is that the World is in need of child protective services.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Basically was saying you can spout it, but red flags can be brought out when you do.

12. I kinda assumed that after re-reading it..........but TRUST ME WHEN I SAY............everything that MIGHT be "a given" to us.......to you.....or to me...........might not necessarily "reach"...........the other children.........

13. This.

However I'd be amazed at the mental gymnastics of anyone trying to explain how it's "racist" to control out of control people burning down a fucking city. All from people who wouldn't do any of that shit if the victim was white. But yeah, Trump is the racist and the protestors believe in equality.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Well, be POSSIBLY ready to be amazed............."controlling out of control people".......what exactly does that entail??? What is your definition of "out of control" and what is your definition of "racist".........??

15. It is actually in the OP as to why his words were a racist dog whistle.
    I am sure he knew the context of his words.

Quote -
    In a Twitter thread, the social network said: "This tweet violates our policiesregarding the glorification of violence based on the historical context of the last line, its connection to violence, and the risk it could inspire similar actions today."

The "historical context" is a reference to the phrase "when the looting starts, the shooting starts", coined by Miami Police Chief Walter Headley in 1967, in reference to his aggressive policing policies in black neighbourhoods.

A later report submitted to the National Commission on the Causes and Prevention of Violence found that his "get tough" policy, involving "the frequent display of shotguns and dogs by Miami police in black neighbourhoods" contributed to a state of agitation in the black community until the eruption of the 1968 Miami riot some eight months later. - Quote

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. To address the other side of the coin;

The protesters were cool.

The rioters were opportunistic low life thieves(of all colors).

• Like Like x 2
  17. TRULY SAD............IMO...........when Trump says.......well shit.........ANYTHING!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. At least I can feel confident that when HE DOES SPEAK.........he uses nothing more than a 3 syllable word for basically his entire................rant..............think about that now..........3 syllables..........in order to go to 3rd grade you have to be able to do that..........of course I am kidding........as I have NO IDEA what it takes to pass the 3rd grade.............but PLEASE dont ask out Pres to..............It would be embarrassing to see him try to read WHATEVER IT IS..........that 3rd graders read..............

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. For starters when dipshits think they can burn down a city and get away with it without consequences, there should be armed intervention to prevent it. Mind blowing I know. You can't get away with destroying a city and expect the government to do nothing.

I'm also not playing the definition game. Google exists and we all know what racism actually means.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I agree............

does trying to cash/use a 20 dollar check............include one as a dipshit? I'll take it one further.........IF IT DOES in fact make them a dipshit..........should it equal to loss of life?