Twisted/Curved leaves. help!

Discussion in 'Sick Plants and Problems' started by MVelazquez2010, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Hey everyone, this is my second grow - Nirvana Feminized Blue Mystic
    I have noticed the leaves are curling and look twisted, like someone took their index finger and thumb, and twisted and rubbed the leaves hard, not enough to rip or tear but just enough to have them twisted and curvey looking. This same thing happened to some of the leaves in my first grow and those leaves that did have that curvature eventually turned yellow with brown splotches, shriveled up and died off. Could anyone tell me if this is normal or what the problem is? I didnt see this problem during my first grow so early!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Is this weird twisted growth normal?

[​IMG]

3. hi I am not experienced but i have the same problem and I found on numerous forum following causes of this leaves twisting:

-light leak - plants grow toward light
    -magnesium defficiency - use epsom salt . But I thing it is unusal for seedling to have mg defficiency before leaves yelowwing if you are not using fertiliser yet...
    -PH imbalance
    - Perhaps heat stress or temp - but above seems more probable

In my case : i actually do have light leak... and my lamp is 400mh but I dont have grow bulb there but ordinanry warehouse bulb... so its harder to indetify :)

I hope it may help...

4. #4 SimpleHoosier, Feb 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2011
    By looking at your pictures it looks like you are using Fox Farm Ocean Forest. If this is the case, the cause of your problems is that that soil is notoriously (maybe infamously is a better word) too "Hot" for seedlings. This usually results in minor nute burn on tips of the leaves, but more commonly it just results in some deformed leaves. This is usually not an issue and resolves itself after the plant reaches 2 weeks of age. I use this soil also and I usually pre-flush my FFOF about 2-3 days before I pop the seeds in. Since using this method I haven't had any problems since. If you start pre-flushing only do a minor flush so you don't have to start adding nutrients right away. I usually start my seeds in a 4.5"x4.5" pot, and usually flush with about 1/4 gal of properly pH'd water.

After reading that you had this problem later in the grow your first time, make sure you are properly pH'ing your water. 6.3-6.5 is the range you are shooting for. Hope this helps.

5. Ahhh, thanks for that, much appreciated. I never happened to test the ph of my water, i've got to get a ph testing kit.

It could be a light leak as well, as the CFL's are aligned symmetrically but at an angle, im sure their position is no big deal. I'll make sure to water next time with properly ph'd water. Thanks for that guys.