Twenty Twelve

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by davoplot, Mar 4, 2009.

1. So I heard Dec,21,2012 is the worlds ending....So said the Mayans and Nostrodomus.

The myan calender ends on that date apperently.....any info?

Whats the scoop?

2. And how is the 2012 myth related to science and nature? Not to mention the ramblings of Nostradamus? Or ancient Mayan calenders resetting?

3. Cthulhu will get us way before that, behold the power of hp lovecraft and his legion of doom !

[​IMG]

4. Ooops, either this thread have been moved from the SnN part of the forum, or I've smoked too much before replying in my previous post :D

5. that's when the mayans predicted that all the gods would come back and destroy earth or at least i think i could be wrong,

now as for nostradamus,he is very interesting for he has predicted the coming of Hitler,napoleon,an saddam,by name so a lot of his predictions were right,so that one could be tru to,but he had 1000s of predictions

6. use the search button or google it. I usually hate when people give the response i just did, but this topic has so many different opinions out there, that the only way your going to get any answers or conclusion is to do your own research. I started with "mayan calendar enlightenment," or "mayan and 2012" which gave me a good understanding of the underlying astrology behind it all, and how and why the calander works the way it does. I've gotten so far into the research, that im actually studying abroud in Belize (where ancient mayan civilization was) next summer doing antropology fieldwork- which isnt even my major but it interests me so much so i was able to get accepted to the program.

7. #7 Zylark, Mar 5, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2009
    Oh really?! then be so kind as to show me _one_ prediction of his, without apologetic spin, that have by name predicted any of the above persons or in detail have described events they caused...

edit: And before you start, Hister do not equal Hitler. Just as 4 do not equal 5.

8. whether i beleive what nastrodamus said or not (i lean towards not), his messages are always hidden so that the reader has to delve in more to find the true message - this was done because when he was writing this in the 16th century (could be wrong) in france, he was at risk of being killed for being a heretic - the things he said and the messages he were trying to get out would have surely earned him a death sentence for religious blasphemy had his message been discovered - he went through great lengths to hide everything really well...

whether that means he could predict the future or not is up to your own research - but the point is you will not find any direct quotes from nastrodamus where he strait out says whats going to happen - theres always hidden messages that leave it a mystery.

I dont take a whole lot to nastrodamus - but the fact that an overwhelming amount of researchers, astrologers, astronomers, scientists, physicists, religious experts, archaeologists, and ancient civilizations all mentioned something along the lines of a cataclysmic event, or huge change in cosmic energy during 2012 is too much of a coincidence. Couple that with the fact that we are going to have the first Galactic Alignment in 26,000 years in our solar system in 2012 as we enter the age of aqaurious is also very intriguing.

9. hister is latin for hitler also predicted he would come from germany also predicted his means of the war,

and he predicted napoleon,also he predicted saddam's name backwards an stated that he would be fromm the middle east,i mean all the prove is there in writing,

also not to mention he predicted the precise date to when his own grave would have been robbed

10. very well said man,an this is true,he would have been killed if his writings were to specific,an some say,when the galactic alignment happens that the earth poles will be reversed

11. John Major Jenkins; "Maya Cosmogenesis: 2012"

Read it, a long fucking read.

But definately worth it.

12. just found it fucked up that the myans predicted solar eclipses 100s of years before they happened.

13. I find all of this stuff really interesting, but i don't know much about it. I'll definitely be doing some research tonight.

14. All that is required to do this is keen observation, good record keeping, and long periods of time.

The Mayans had all three. It doesn't lend any credibility to the idea that they were clairvoyant.

15. #16 sikander, Mar 5, 2009
    These threads are beginning to get tiresome.

1. The Mayan Long Count does not end on 21 December 2012. It does not predict any earth-shaking events, catastrophes, disasters, or anything interesting except that it heralds new long-term astrological trends in their calendar. It's like the passing of a millennium for us, except that no Mayan predicted the world would end in 2012, unlike many stupid white people predicted for both millenniums since Jesus.
    2. People who advocate the 2012 date are usually cherrypicking what parts of Mayan culture they think are valuable or wise. They ignore the rest, which I think is just hypocritical.
    3. Nostradamus published hundreds of thousands of words of vague nonsense that could mean anything. He'll have to get some things right by sheer accident. Doesn't mean what he says is meaningful.
    4. Yes, the Mayans were good astronomers. This is irrelevant to astrological predictions of what's going to happen here on Earth.
    5. No, the Mayans are in no respect ancient so please don't waste time with appeals to antiquity, which is bad reasoning anyway. As a friend of mine put it, there were independent Mayan kingdoms up to 61 years after Harvard was founded and Mayans still exist today and so does their culture. They are not vanished and they're no more spiritual or magical than you or I, they're just people who made up some shit to explain the world, just like everyone else.

16. #17 Zylark, Mar 5, 2009
    This is all special pleading. And FYI, Hitler is latin for Hitler. Stop making up your own "facts".

So once more, without apologetic spin and twisted logic, show me one "prophecy" of Nostradamus that have actually come true.

17. Posting pictures is easier than typing out big ol' confusing words.

18. thats probably the only part i respectifully disagree with. I think that its very relevant.

Also just got the good news today, i got accepted to study abroad this or next summer in BELIZE (former mayan civ) doing field work, earning 6 credits in anthropology (not my major, and wont really count towards anything for me, but i dont care, ill be doing field work in mayan civilization! im finally going to where i need to get to, and its not classroom work! sorry, had to add it, im super excited)

19. That's alright, I just don't believe in astrology.

That sounds totally awesome! I have some friends who just got back from Belize. It's apparently a really chill place, in terms of weed and just in general.