Turns out smoking weed is bad for you

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Fighter, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Turns Out Smoking Weed Is Bad for You

A new study indicates that cognitive function is impaired by chronic marijuana use. ("Chronic," like "frequent," you stoner.) Looks like your older brother was wrong when he told you that pot was harmless because "it's from the earth"!

Chronic marijuana smokers did worse on tests of cognitive function than non-smokers, and those who started smoking weed before age 16 did worse than the stoners who started later in life. Worse how? Chronic smokers "repeated errors more often than the two other groups, even after the authors corrected them," and "had more trouble maintaining a set of rules" and also "repeated errors more often than the two other groups, even after the authors corrected them."

But the thing is: The study defines "chronic" marijuana use as "smoking pot at least five of the last seven days" (which, well, [nervous laughter], that's just ridiculous, [tugs at collar], who would smoke that frequently) and "a minimum of 3,000 joints in a lifetime."

Three thousand joints! That's maybe not such a big deal to old hippies, but the average age of study participants was 22. So, participants who started smoking at age 18 would have had to smoke about two joints a day to be defined as "chronic," and those who started smoking at 16 would be sparking about 10 joints a week, every week, since that time. (How's that for cognitive function, science?) Which isn't impossible, obviously! But that's a rather high bar for "chronic," isn't it? [ABC News]

If weed is bad for people I wonder what the hell the author was smoking to slip up like this, the smoke obviously traveled to the editors as well.

*Facepalm*

2. Lol at the typo.

I've read that smoking anything actually is bad for your brain and can cause a disturbance in your brain, and it's because of the carbon monoxide - not the active ingredients in the smoke.

Not sure, though.

3. The source is from ABC, I REFUSE to accept studies made by the media.

Myth busted!

4. Okay let's just make this clear inhaling any type of smoke is unhealthy. That's just a fact. The ingredients within cannabis do nothing to inhibit one's ability to function. Like we just have preconcieved notions on how stoners are supposed to act and it's just not fair because everyone acts different and is equally affected differently by various substances. If marijuana was legal and everyone either vaped or used edibles we could all be high but without doing any damage to ourselves. Who knows when that day will come, I mean under our current government it's either not happening or it's going to purposely take a ridiculous amoun of time.

5. LOL :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Screw'em and all their negative studies.
    For every study you show me that says turn right.
    I'll show you one that says turn left :eek:

If ya like it, do it.... life's tooo short :p

My neighbor won't eat eggs because of colesterol.
    I asked him if you stop eating eggs, will you live forever?
    Of course he replied no.
    Well then, what's the point of giving up something you like. cause your still gonna die.
    At least you'll know what you died from :smoking:

6. Very true, inhaling smoke is bad.

The issue here is they do not address the mental stimulation these groups have gone through over the course of their research. THC binds to cannabinoid receptors, I have yet to see the relation between these receptors and actually damaging the brain, studies usually distort their findings by saying it influences different aspects of the brain and implies it influences them negatively.

If you sit around all day, playing mindless video games for months or years and don't stimulate your mind by learning new things, you'll be an idiot who can click to shoot lots of zombies, for example. Same thing goes for cannabis use.

If you are constantly learning new things and stimulating your mind by problem-solving and brainstorming ideas to resolve issues or discrepancies you notice in your life, whether in your immediate(what you do on a daily basis) or in issues that may have no bearing in your life (see a news article that states something needs to be done so you think of ways to accomplish their task) then you will be a very smart and "aware" individual who will tend to not overlook details and be very assertive of any situation you come across.

These are the differences in people I see everyday, either they are constantly learning or they are not, it is irrelevant what their past time is, if you don't use your mind it will degrade in cognitive function just like not using your muscles will cause them to decrease in size.

People just need to understand that life is about learning and that you can apply what you learn to almost every aspect of your life if it is an open enough subject, this is what motivates me to keep learning. Whenever I see someone writing something that is more intelligent than anything I could even comprehend or think of, I feel like I'm losing a competition.

It's clear that someone will always be bigger or smarter than you, but if you persist in your goals with that mentality then you may not even realize that there are only a few that can hold a candle to your accomplishments, whether mentally, physically, or spiritually.

7. Did you know if you eat nothing but cheeseburgers for your whole life, you'll die?

8. Right? This is exactly how I feel

9. lmao 3000 joints? thats what i smoke... in like a year.

10. #10 weednotcrack, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2010

OMG!!! REPEATED ERRORS!!! OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

XD:laughing:

as if repeating errors is the end of the world..and people who don't get high NEVER repeat errors, oHh noo..there perfect:):rolleyes:

actually, repeating errors are hilarious to me

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dy6-9OmjTnU&feature=related"]YouTube - Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job! - Chi[/ame]
    :laughing::hippie::laughing:

11. This is a crap study, put me in it. Currently maintaining a 3.4 in a top notch engineering school, and also maintaining a pretty good buzz throughout the day! So waawaaweewaa, I reject your b.s. "research" and take the most truthful fact there ever was, my own damn life.

12. Stupid study. Hardly scientific. There was something like 40 people tested. They didn't separate people out from those who also DRANK ALCOHOL and smoked Cigarettes! It just so happens that A LOT of people in this age group who smoke weed also drink and smoke cigs.

Chances are that any issues were due to alcohol and cigs, not weed.

P.S. I will take the HUGE study done by UCLA any day over this crap study. There were 10's of thousands of precipitants in that study.

13. exactly

14. That study is complete and utter rubbish.

15. The only truth is there have been studies that found smokers have done worst on simple math test than non smokers....

Read a study from a credited medical school on that point^. There is some impairment to small degree

16. Pot gets me high and i like the view up here. :cool:

Breaking New Study!

Turns out chronic viewing of ABC and FOX (20+ viewings a week) for extended periods of time can have health risks. Studies show chronic viewers of ABC and FOX had trouble performing routine tasks such as thinking for themselves while light and nonviewers had an easier time forming truthful opinions.

It should be noted specifically that chronic ABC viewers also suffered symptoms of idocracy and lunacy which severely affected their fundamental decision making about what to put into their bodies. Scientists are currently working on an antidote.

...but we all know what the anitdote is right?

17. whats sad is that i'd have to agree with the study it basically described me . like i use to be decent at math now its like all a huge blur and i can't figure shit out

18. Everything you said is actually really relevant and does mess up results.

19. i wouldn't say its as bad as the study says, but to some degree it is. It can cause short-term memory problems, and can make some people lazy

20. Short term mem :smoking:.... what :confused: