Turning Yellow ..

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by kizeryakuza, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Hey all !
    One of my plants, only a week or so into growth, is starting to turn light green. well to be more accurate, the first two round leaves are yellow already (the ones to which the arrows in the drawing point) and the four other 'normal' leaves are light green.
    what could be the cause of this?
    im using soil with 15-9-15 and perlite. its for clones and seedlings (says on the bag). dont have a soil ph tester yet (too expensive and was told by the sales man i didnt need just yet). and im using tap (tab?) water. (maybe slight overwatering, dunno)
    got them under a 400W HPS, and three 18W Grolux Fluos put laterally. 18/6.
    they're in small 6cm high 4.5 cm wide jiffy pots for the moment (1 cm = 0.3937008 inch).
    the plant mentioned, the one turning slightly yellow has been growing since the 20/02 (wondering if the jiffy pot might be too small perhaps, considering its only 3.5cm out of the soil).

thnx a lot !
    K

Attached Files:

2. i realised i might maybe be overwatering. due to the HPS, its seems the soil dries fast, and i give them water several times a day, when it looks extra dry. started today by giving less water and see what happens..

K

PS: but in general, why do they turn yellow? what is it a sign of? thnx !

3. depending on the amount of chlorine in your local tap water, tap water's a no-no (though i personnaly water with tap and don't have problems when it comes to this)

the first round leaves are the first to turn yellow and fall (natural process) though a week seams like a rather short time for this to happen.

and 6 cm by 4.5 ? that's pretty fucking small!

and for the yellowing, it can be either not enough Nitrogen (though you're soil's already full of it), overwatering or underwatering. It can also be caused by Ph problems. might have forgotten a few causes, i'll let those who know what they're talking about fill in ;)

4. Sounds like it could be overwattering. You should not depend on the surface of the soil to get your moisture reading from. Instead, stick your finger into the soil to see if it is still wet beneath the surface. Watering several times a day is way too much.

5. woops... missed the several times a day part

6. im growing too at the moment and the same thing happend to me and 2 of my 3 plants are doing really good i dont think it matters if they do

7. Thnx guys !
    well the thing about watering more than once is not like i give them liters every time, just enough to moisten most of the soil. cause there are times where it looks and feels completely dry, u can see that the soil has slightly shrunken. now i'll be giving them just a bit of water at least at noon and then at midnight

Those small pots are jiffy pots, 'tourbe' in french. which is natural vegetal fossiles they use amongst other things to plant. the advantage of it being when i need to put it in a bigger pot, i dont need to extract it from the original small pot cause the roots will go straight through and the thing will eventually desintegrate (hopefully).
    you ppl put the thing straight from the germination thing to a big size pot?

the soil ph testers in growshops in holland (more accurately maastricht) going for 60 bucks approx ! (minimum 65 euros) i should get the paper things to test the water though, those are cheap. and i'll test the chlorine, my parents live not too far and they have a small pool so im guessing they'll have the chlorine stuff. i know for a fact the water has a lot of 'calc' (CaCO3) (----> LIMESTONE) .. not sure if thats the word in english. it leaves like white residu on the sides of the sink; it contains mostly calcium. could that be the problem?

Laterz !
    K

8. the more "calc" (or whatever the word is normally, i speak french usually anyways...) will make your water basic (Ph over 7)

since your Ph should be around 5.8 - 6.5 as this is the best for proper nutrient absorption, CaCO3 could be one of your problems.

also for your pots, i guess you can probably wait for the roots to start going through em and at this point, put them in a larger pot.

9. thnx ! so what do you people suggest i do if i cant even use tab water :p im guessing some "-Ph" solution and buying bottles of water for my plants, but just in case there are other more practical ways to deal with it.

thnx a lot for all the help you guys (and gals) !

i found it ! calcaire in french is limestone in english. (yes i know im repeating myself, but just to make sure ppl see it as its pre-edit) --> so, if one's got limestone present in the tap water, what is one to do besides switching over to mineral water?

thnx a lot ! K

LIMESTONE ISSUE MOVED HERE ----> http://forum.grasscity.com/showthread.php?p=877707&posted=1#post877707