Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Trying to understand marijuana strains

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by JT Fifa, May 21, 2010.

1. I know about Sativa and Indica. That is pretty basic to me, but I want to go further. I want to know exactly how all the strains out there create so many different effects. What is going on at a molecular level that has different effects on appetite, emotional state, sleep, and pain reliever? I tried google, but no luck. Thanks to anyone that can help me with this.

2. i'm not sure if this is the reason for different strains, but it's kind of similar to humans. every human is the same species and stuff, but we all have a different genotype, but even though we are all genetically different we are all still humans. i don't see why weed wouldn't work in the same way, like every weed plant has a different genotype to each other, but they are all still weed. in humans, differences in genotypes show up as different hair color, eye color, etc etc, so maybe since plants are much different genetically from humans the differences between each weed plant are present through the effects from smoking, as well as why they look different.

totally just an idea, i've never done any research on this type of stuff.

3. Nice! I like that concept. Puts it in a better perspective. Thanks dude.

4. I don't know how many actual strains or varieties of MJ occur naturally (I'd love to know if someone has that info) but almost all of the strains you see were developed by growers through selective breeding to highlight certain traits. Those traits could be yeild, potency, smell/flavor, disease resistance, size, growing time, type of high, etc. Selective breeding would include perpetuating particular phenotypes within a strain that have certain outstanding or desirable qualities or crossing various strains to combine or create new qualities. I'm no expert so I hope someone else will chime in and elaborate.

If you look at Park Seeds or Burpee seeds websites, you'll see 20 different kinds of tomatoes, all created by genetically manipulating a regular tomato plant. In nature all guppies look the same and all parakeets are green but when you go to the pet store, you'll see all different sizes and colors created by breeders. It's kinda the same thing.

I'm not sure that answered your question exactly but the point is, people manipulate the plant to create the desired results, including the chemical balance and composition that controls the things you listed. As far as the science behind how those chemicals interact with our bodies to produce those results, all I can say is it's over my head :D

5. Haha. Hopefully one day they will have it all figured out as how it interacts with our body. That is pretty much what I really do want to know. It really is fascinating.

6. lots of different chemical/molecular compounds are different between strains, and slightly different effects are found when trace amounts are different from plant to plant, is my understanding...but...in all honesty, i dont knowhahaha, kinda like how alcohol is alcohol, but depending on what is used to make it you get different effects. Like Agave is used to make tequila, while sugar cane is used to make rum, and they have 2 different drunks...but its all alcohol...no clue tho hahahahah

7. Indica and sativa strains have different ratios of THC to CBD, which scientists think is the main reason in the psychoactice differences. Sativas have less CBD, so it's more of a pure THC head high, but indicas will generally hit you harder because of the extra cannabinoid content. Roughly speaking

8. ^^ CBD is the chemical/molecule i was talking about haha but i dont know shit so it didnt come to mind.... thank you sir

9. If you're asking why they all affect you differently, that would be because they have different levels of cannabinoids and other chemicals. One strain might smell a certain way because the grower did his voodoo to grow a strain with a high amount of that chemical. He/she wants a strain that smells like blueberry, bang, now we have blueberry. It's all subtle little differences that make each strain unique. Then again I know squat about this stuff so I could be way off. :confused:

10. ive been wondering this myself for a while till i read the cannabis grow bible and it explains it pretty well. sorry i cant post the info cuz its like a whole chapter. but i think if you read it it should explain it very well and should put your question at ease. every post so far has explained a part of it. hope this helps

11. If this is true, only a few select people have really tasted the popular strains. I mean, I've never seen a human that looked/acted/etc. exactly like either of their parents, so the same could be true for bud.

12. Theres also differences within strains, due to allele expression and phenotypes. Which is why when someone says they have a notoriously purple strain, and it ends up not being purple, you shouldn't bitch about it. Take lavender for example, one phenotype is completely purple with purple crystals. Another is green. Agent Orange has a green phenotype, and another phenotype that produces coffee ground black nugs. Not to mention the subtle differences in the hundreds of terpenoids and aromatic compounds that make dank, well, dank lol.

Furthermore, cannabis as a whole is a complex plant, far more so than most plants. Humans are separated into males and females, how many plants do you know like that? Pot is the only plant in my (extremely limited botanical) knowledge to produce hermaphrodites. I believe it is its own entity, with feelings and intuition, here to help us understand our world and our selves