trying to set up a growroom

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by smokeupda420, Jan 25, 2008.

1. :wave:hi there this is my first post on grasscity this site is pretty sick ive been reading alot and i think im ready for growing the thing is i dont know what to get. ive been watching mr.green on youtube and im thinking about doing what he does. also im growing in a shed so im going to try to get alot. and one last thing on mr.green's video he uses some pretty heavy dutie lights i was hoping that instead of using a 400w hps bulb or a 430w hps with a blue spectrum i could use a cfl but i have no idea how many i need to sub those other bulbs. please help a noob:D.

2. You have to do a lot of reading, check the grow guides and sticky posts at the top of this forum.

You will need a ton of CFLs to match HID lighting.

Is that shed heated? Insulated? Temps could be a big issue for you to try to grow in there.

3. well i live in fl and its going to get hot soon so im afraid that if i get a hid light that it will kill the plants. and yea i know that ive got alot of reading im probably going to stay up all night studying. and nothing is going to me shed so its shed heated.

4. HID's can be cooled with the proper ventilation or hoods. Read up on them, HID's are preferred.

5. CFL are ok for vegging but don't (really) work for the flowering cycle. The buds are much smaller and the yield is on the low side. Get yourself a 430W HPS like a Phillips Son Agro or even better yet a 430W Hortilux. Then you'll be cookin.

6. Yeah, i like Mr.Greens vid.He basically inspired me to get off my butt and start celebrating arbor day year round.Altho I did like his setup I ended up going with a soil grow.It just felt better for me.Plus pots and dirt are cheap and easy to manage for me.I would definately encourage any new grow to bite the bullet and buy a nice HPS lamp.Look around there are a lot of great sites to get them.I love mine.It was the next to cheapest 400w from insidesun.Do some reading and good luck.When you get it all going send us pics.:wave:

7. mr green is the shit,he was also my inspiration to build my own hydro set up.but i down sized it for only 2 plants,veged under floros,and flowering under 70watts hps.
    so far its been a fun adventure and learning expierience.
    good luck dude,

8. The 400 watt Hps is good for a 3x3 area maybe alittle more.4x4. The cfl's you could use at the same time as side lighting or something. How big is the shed?

Temp can be controlled with a vented light using a good cfm blower. You can also get a portable a/c unit on a timer. Temps are very very important. 75 degrees should be your goal. This also helps the male/female ratio in my expierence.

Soil may be better for a beginner. More forgiving. Good luck.:smoke:

9. thanks guys you have been a big help

10. CFLs will work all the way through as long as you switch from the higher spectrum to the lower when flowering time comes, you can yield just as much from a well managed CFL grow as you can a mediocre HID grow IMO. If you have a shed, which to me is a huge space, i'd definetly get a mh and a hps though.

if you decide to use cfl read the lst and scrog sticky threads they are really helpful when it comes to showing you how to utilize the little lights and bloom bigger.