Trying to quit

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by thegameizbak, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Hey guys.. I'm trying to quit smoking the chronic.

I'm 23 now. First time I smoked wwas back in high school age 15 I think.

But I didn't get hooked on the stuff until last year when I broke up with my gf and at the same time got laid off.

I have been smoking everyday since and now that I have a job and will be going back to school in September I'm hoping to be off this stuff but I can't seem to quit.

I went cold turkey in June didn't smoke at all but only because I was out of the country and when I came back I started again.

Any tips?

2. Well like my parents told me, stay away from anybody that associates with the trees. It gives you less of a chance of going back to it.

3. "Just say no!"

lol but seriously for me I just say no if Im trying to be clean. Obviously dont buy budz while your trying to stop.
    o
    I have the problem with friends offering weed and turning it down when Im on short breaks. My job tests me if someone gets injured, so i got the 72hour detox down pretty good.

WILLPOWER!!

4. a) i think its funny you joined the forum when ur trying to quit. And like ^^ says associating with smokers doesn't help unless you have the will of the warrior. And this forum is nothing but stoners so....gl.
    b)quitting shouldnt be that hard. I know, i know, i've tried and failed but without a physical addiction i think it shuold be kinda easy. clean your pieces, maybe sell them off. dont buy weed. dont grow weed. eventually if u still chill with the same people they'll either want to help you and not smoke you up or get sick of you mooching and therefore stop smoking you up.

Anyway, good luck i guess. i dont ever plan on quitting tbh, maybe a few breaks here and there.

5. The only reason I joined was to get advice from people who have quit or tried to quit.

I don't know why people don't think that MJ is not addicting because it is. A LOT. Yesterday I was trying so hard not to smoke and I eventually fell asleep but I don't want to have to fight myself every night because once in a while I know I will lose and smoke lol

6. your acting as if your highly addicted to bud. put the bowl down and dont pack another. aint so hard.

7. you have an addictive personality obviously. thats why its hard for you and not others. you're at a disadvantage.

8. Welcome to the City :wave: Yep, don't smell it, don't have any reminders about it, don't associate with those that do...it can be easier then most might think but in the end it comes down to willpower without a doubt. Positive vibes to you to quit.

You know it is possible to smoke yet still lead a productive life. Me...I don't smoke until the end of the day. I work at home so could toke up all day but I treat it as a reward for a good days work. Sounds as though you actually use it as a medication, not a drug habit. If you are used to it helping you sleep then of course to get off of it will take some work. Perhaps you might be better suited to go all day without and then ease into giving that evening help up by going every other day then every two days, then every three days and just keep getting them longer until it is to the point you can walk away.

9. No I don't use it for medication purpose. Like I said I got hooked on it because I had nothing else to do at home and was so bored. My day was get high and watch movies or play games.

I feel like I should control it now so I don't have to worry about it. I don't smoke weed cuz of sleeping either. I just do it when I have nothing to do.

Like right now I just got off work and I have the rest of the day to do nothing. It's 4 pm in the evening. I don't have work till late tomorrow so right my mind is like go ahead smoke that weed cuz you got nothing to do.

10. That's a psychological dependence, not an addiction. An addiction, or physical dependence, also brings along with it withdrawal symptoms.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EosAtSpu1Pw]YouTube - Alcohol Withdrawal Seizure, Delirium Tremens[/ame]

That's what it looks like to be addicted to something, so stop confusing yourself.

11. Just sounds like you need a new pasttime to me. What are your interests? Find something to keep you busy filling the time for the first few weeks. Once you are past about the two week point it is much easier. I know your pain, each time I was pregnant I had to stop and the first few weeks were rough and Ed was asked not to smoke near me or even somewhere that I could smell it. After about two weeks it was better, after 30 days it did not bother me to smell it anymore.

12. excuse me if I am wrong, but isn't having a dependent on something whether it is psychological or physical, it is still an addiction. The way I see it I am semi-addicted to the stuff. Worried about in the future I won't stop.

I actually was able to stop for a full month (June), I don't remember having any withdrawals or anything like that. I was away at a different country where weed is hard and rare. But when I came back first thing i did was hit my connect.

I'm just worried it will screw up my school work as I wasn't going to school the past year and all i did was smoke weed.

And I think MrsEd you hit the nail right in the head, I need a different hobby, though comee September mornings i am at work and evenings I go school.

Just worried about weekends because again I'll be home with nothing to do and I am a BIG procrastinator so definitely I don't want it to cross my mind later on.

13. One last thing, I have only been smoking weed, don't know any other thing about it.

What I usually hear from people is that it kill your brain cells, makes you lazy, socially inept and even problems in bed.

What are the major concerns for smoking a joint a day for like 10-20 years.

14. #14 Blunt, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2010
    I was the same way, that's why I made this Thread, have a look.

Nothing, the only bad thing about weed for you is the smoke itself. It contains tar that can grow on your lungs if you try to hold your hits for forever. Oxygen deprivation doesn't occur until over 3 minutes of no oxygen, so no worries there. You make yourself lazy, not weed. Just learn moderation and understand when to smoke and when not to, everyone's different.

As for problems in bed, technically I'll give you that because it does lower your sperm count, but I wouldn't stress over it. I'm sure there are plenty of fathers on this site.

15. You say you smoke weed because you've got nothing to do, so start doing stuff!

I know it's hard, and sometimes you just don't want to do anything at all, but you must break the habit and find something to do, FAST. I would advise you to download some ebooks related to whatever you're going to study in school.

In my example, I had the same problem during summers (I'm not a very social person) and then one day I was like HEY I'm going to download a shitload of books and read and get ahead of everyone in my year. And that's what I did, didn't smoke weed for 10 months after that :) (and that's a good thing; I'm not the kind of person who can smoke and get good grades it's one or the other for me)