Trying To Plan The Construction Of My First Grow (Any Help/opinions Appreciated)

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Have you seen Lucy?, Jul 24, 2014.

1. #1 Have you seen Lucy?, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
    Hey guys and gals! I'm new around here so, nice to meet you all! 

Okay everybody, lately I've been thinking about starting my own personal decent sized grow. I've been struggling to find a place to grow. But today, an idea hit me.. this shed in our backyard would be perfect! This shed is about 6 x 8 x 6. I'm planning on just starting off with two plants.

Pictures of the Shed: 
    IMG_2568.JPG   IMG_2569.JPG
      IMG_2570.JPG IMG_2571.JPG
     ​
     ​
    (If these pictures are too large I apologize! :)) Anyways, I live in one of the hottest parts of the US (city of broken dreams and one night stands) So here, 110F this time of the year is expected very often. But luckily, this shed is on the side of the building which gives it a nice cool shade and there used to be four bushes(two on each side) of the shed but we cut one side down... I regret it now.

The inside needs cleaning, that red shelf could be used for holding any lights/fans/etc. The only source of power will have to be an extension cord to my garage.

So to the point, I need ideas and recommendations from everybody I can! Btw, I'm the tightest possible budget, for right now, I'd just like to get it started  :metal:

What kind and how much insulation will I need? I'm planning on using CFL lights, so what are some good setups for that? I saw this online, would something simple like this be worth it? What is the cheapest way I could ventilate this shed? Cutting into the shed is not a problem, but I'm not a genius or a carpenter, so go easy. And also what size buckets would be best for this sized grow?

I'm a noob, but I think that I can handle this. 

I know there are many threads and they are great, but some personal help is best, I don't want to mess this up. Thank you all so much!

*Update* So I decided to head inside just to see how hot it is in there... it's actually very cool compared to it being 100F right now. I'd say it has to be no more than 80 right now. I don't think heat will be too much of a worry, so I think just a fan or two will be fine alongside ventilation holes up top and on the bottom.

*update* But then again, I just remembered lights create heat too. Damn.

2. think of a budget and double it :p

main thing id worry about is its a metal shed so its gonna get hot before you even started. unless its completely shaded

foil backed polystyrene insulation should stop the outside heat coming in, 12 inch exhaust and carbon filter just for circulation (more for lights) at the top rear, air intake can be round the door (prefably bottom front for best circulation). and if outside air is 115 then u gonna need ac,  That'll be the biggest part of the budget. then u need lighting + extra exhaust and mylar.

thought of using led's ?  its less heat than the big cfls

I think the heat will not be too bad to be honest, I just went in the shed, and damn, it's actually quite nice in there! I'm excited! :) 

I'm sure LEDs are damn expensive compared to CFLs, so currently I probably couldn't afford it. I'll likely upgrade as I go, but for right now I'm going to have to stick to the near basics. 

Still wondering , what sized buckets would be best? 3 gallon? Or could I really just used a 5 gallon bucket, since I already have a couple of those. 

Also, how many lights would I need? One on top for each plant and one on each side of each plant? Thanks for your input! 

When considering temps for a growroom, ambient temps are your starting point. The only way to go lower than ambient is with an a/c, without one you will be looking at temps in excess of 110f.

LED cannot be vented directly like an HID light can. My plants are literally touching the glass on my 1kw HPS a/c hood with zero ill effects, 6" from the bulb. Try that with any other 1kw lighting in any configuration. However, my ambient temps are around 75f mid-summer, if they were over 100f there would be no way I could sustain my personal habit without a kick-ass split a/c to cool my chamber, much less some heat-spewing high-end LED's.

IMO, LED's are meant to be used in highly-refined geeked-out grow systems, split a/c, co2, hydro, full environmental controls, etc. Anything less is a waste of resources, seen too many people battling high temps with LED's that they bought thinking they are cooler than HID's. I've seen enough to know that a good LED light runs a lot hotter than my 1kw a/c HPS.

5. I have 2 seedlings and right now they don't take up that much space. I think you should go with at least 4 or more plants, like 3 indica and 2 sativa idk, up to you