Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Trying to make some good canna coconut oil. Please help

Discussion in 'Weed Edibles' started by MrSosa12, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Hey im looking for some help on making canna coconut oil. I am only using for recreational purposes, no medical. I was hoping to get about 100mg thc per tbs of oil for a qtr ounce of some good weed. I accidentally used 2 cups of oil instead of 1 though. tried to make some last night by doing this..

Used my hand grinder on a quarter
    Spread herb around in an oven bag (I read it is best to do it in a bag or foil pouch) I did not leave much air in the bag.
    I put the bag on a baking sheet and baked for 30 mins at 225 F, it still had a little bit of green color in it but mostly golden, golden-green.
    I let the bag sit for 10 mins while i was slowly warming 2 cups of coconut oil (i meant to use 1 cup but i wasnt thinking right. I want this to be potent)
    I heated the oil up to about 220 F and dumped the decarbed herb in. I have an instant read thermometer so i was keeping exact temp the whole time. I simmered between 215-235 F for 40 mins strirring once in a while. I heard somebody say that if you cook the herb above 240 F it kills all the thc, idk if its true or not? So i was trying to be very cautious but it did get slightly over 240 a couple times but just for a second.
    I strained the oil through cheesecloth into tupperware, squeezed the cheesecloth to get the extra oil out. I let the oil sit in the tupperware at room temp with no lid for about 2 hrs then i sealed and put it in fridge.

Earlier today i warmed up some cider (not to hot, just a tad bit) and put 2 tbs of my canna oil in and stirred it up, drink it and 2 hrs later a very slight high feeling, not even close to what i was hoping for. So i put another tbs in another glass of warm cider and another 2-3 hrs later, nothing so i did a couple bong rips.
    What did i do wrong?! I read a ton of stuff and i felt like this seemed the most common/best way. I have had edibles from a dispensary that said 100mg thc and i was stoned 45 mins later.
    Please help. Recipes suggestions anything

2. Heard of BadKittySmiles? I hear she is the master of edibles. You might want to google her canna oil- very in depth and she has alot of experience. I used her method to make my oil. Or here is a link to one of her recipe card for canna oil. BadKat's CannaPharm - Medical Cannabis Oil

Also, I don't think that increasing the amount of coconut oil that is used will increase potency. You want just enough coconut oil to adsorb all the THC, but not too little to leave any THC behind. What I did was add enough Oil to cover the herb. I suppose that adding so much more oil will ensure that no thc is left behind, but you will have to use more oil to feel effects- (because of diffusion I think?). Anyway, yeah, the oil is just the "carrier" for the THC; it doesn't add to the effects, I don't think.

I would add some lecithin to your canna oil mix. People say that it really increases potency. I have always used lecithin in my oil. Cant really say if it works myself, since I've never has a dose of oil without lecithin in, lol.
    Another thing worth adding is to eat mangoes, or diffuse some lemon grass oil around your room. When I smoke, I definitely feel a difference - the high kicks in super fast, it lasts longer, and it is stronger! Although not sure on the effects on edibles (Never tried).

Anyway, as a recap, You might wanna google these things;
    "Badkittysmiles canna oil"
    "Lecithin in canna oil"
    "Lemon grass oil and cannabis" OR "Mangoes and cannabis"

• Like Like x 1
  3. I always decarb mine on aluminum foil top of cookie sheet also sealed with aluminum foil for 240 about 30 mins.

Then I grind a second time with a mortar and pestle until its super fine.

I dont worry about how much oil I use I just microwave some solid coconut oil until it liquid then I add it in a mason jar and mix in my herb.

I put a crock pot on high filled with water, I put my mason jar in the crockpot and keep the water above the top of my oil.

cook on high for 24 hours. put in fridge afterwards, I dont strain my herb.

wham bam bodyslam.

• Like Like x 1
  4. @MrSosa12
    Teaspoons of oil NOT CUPS. There is the trouble right there.
    5 grams decarbed cannabis (Hash-weed-BHO-AVB)(Decarb is 240 F for 40 minutes. Longer if covered-Jar- or bagged.
    2.5 teaspoons oil (Coconut oil is the top choice)
    .5 teaspoon lecithin
    Heat 220 F for 20 minutes
    Freeze
    Reheat
    Done
    Capping works best with hash but if you grind weed to dust it'll flow up an eyedropper too
    [​IMG]
    BNW

• Like Like x 3
  5. [​IMG]
    15 grams of decarbed hash in each pile will go into 3 tablespoons of combined Coconut oil and lecithin.
    Been making this same oil every 2 months for years now.
    BNW

• Like Like x 2

6. How long do you decarb for if you cover the pan in an oven bag? Im trying to keep the smell contained as much as possible

7. Same time. Last time I did it, I had all windows open, kitchen door closed, and incense going. It was like I never had a nose, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Quick update: After going probably 4-5 hrs with minimal effects, I took a few bong rips. About 30 mins after the bong rips i felt way higher than i usually do off that amount of weed. The high also lasted about 3 1/2 - 4 hrs. I feel like the oil may have kicked in late but im not sure. Im going to try some more either today or tommorow without smoking too and I will update.

9. I did watch and read some of her stuff but i saw people saying that she overcooks her weed because she showing you for medicinal purposes not recreational so she overheats to get all the cbd out killing thc in the process. But idk, it does seem excessive compared to other videos/forums.

10. BrassNwood uses the ratio 5:2.5 (grams of decarbed weed : tsp of coconut oil). Im assuming that since BrassNwood has quite some experience, that his ratio is near perfect i suppose. In your case - using 7 grams - you should of used 3.5 tsp. However, use used 2 cups which equates to nearly 80 tsp.
    Assuming that 2.5 tsp of coconut oil is enough to absorb all thc found in 5 grams of decarbed weed; you have 76.5 tsp of coconut oil that is in your mixture that is doing nothing.

So, to the point that I am trying to make- 2 tsp of your oil will be extremely weak, compared to 2 tsp of BrassNwood's canna oil. To feel an effect, you will probably need to take wayyy more.
    According to my calculations, I would like to think that 1 tsp of BrassNwood's mixture will equal to about 23 tsp of your mixture.

Boy, I hope im not wrong here... I'll look like a big dummy! Bolt

• Like Like x 2
  11. TL : DR - If I were you, I'd just try chugging 15 tsp... you may pass out and I may be wrong, but you'll never know till you find out :thumbsup:

12. The trouble with chugging that much oil to get high is it can act as a great laxative in that amount.
    BNW :) ooops

13. #13 BrassNwood, Sep 24, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    Double post

14. Ahh, its good you mentioned that then :rolleyes:
    @MrSosa12 time to preheat the oven and google some recipes :biggrin:

15. Yea i wouldnt want to consume more than 2 tbs of oil per day. I was trying to make it more potent than i did. I messed up by using 2 cups of oil. Im definitely not using that much next time. Im going to try another batch sometime later this week. Im probally only gonna use a 1/2 cup of oil with another qtr. I dont mind having a tbs of oil at a time to get high but no more than that. I will probably try the capsule recipe too but i wanna get this down first.