Trying to make a tincture but no grain alcohol

Discussion in 'Harvesting and Processing Marijuana' started by Kallaste, Jan 20, 2015.

1. I want to make a tincture (an alcohol extract where the alcohol stays in instead of being evaporated off), but grain alcohol is illegal to sell in my state. Fantastic. Can I get a decent extract with 151 proof liquor? If I could get 80 % alcohol content I would go ahead with it, but 151 is only 75.5 % and I'm not sure what the outcome would be. Has anybody done this? Should I give it a try or just forget it?

I don't want to make a different kind of concentrate or use any alcohol except ethanol.

2. Order it from Wine Chateau.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. Oh wow, seriously? I had no idea you could do that. That's awesome. Great prices, too! THANKS man.

4. you could use coconut oil if you wanted too, tastes much better than alcohol and its cheaper.

5. Yeah that's true . . . I already have some coconut oil in the cabinet, too. Maybe I can make some while I wait for the Everclear. I've never done that before though. Basically just heat and steep? Have to do a bit of research.

6. yeah its pretty simple. It solidifies at room temp, which I'm sure you know, but it can work just as good IMO.

7. Okay maybe I'll give it a try. Then I can compare the two and see the differences. Thanks for the idea!

8. Vegetable glycerin is my personal favorite for tinctures, way sweeter than anything else I've tried. Nothing else meshes as well with the hashy flavor IMO/IME. Heat and steep, like you said. I leave a batch overnight in a crock pot on the lowest setting, trying to keep the temperatures fairly low but still warming it.

9. That's interesting. From what I have read of glycerol extracts they extract just as well and don't denature. And you leave it overnight in a crock pot? Ha, if it's anything like what happens when I cook a roast, I can only imagine what your house smells like it the morning! Not sure my roommate would appreciate that lol.  :lol:  Or is the smell not that strong?

10. Smelly for sure. Not as weedy as you might think though, vaguely, but not like a freshly ground bud.

11. Haha, I'll have to try it when he's out of town then.