Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Trying to find the right strain....

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by mikey421, Jan 1, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Hi, new to this forum, and could use some expert advice..I'm not a new weed user by any means but it's been awhile and i'm kinda overwhelmed trying to narrow down choices from the tons of strains.

My top problems with strains in the past were paranoia anxiety, and drowsiness/too big of a head buzz...
    (too intense i guess i could say). It's always been hard for me to find the ideal strain that makes me calm
    and relaxed but still alert and focused, with zero paranoia, plus not 'speeding' or feeling too amped up...but yet also not too spaced out to the point of sleepiness or 'couch lock' :)

Gelato gave me a headache and too much of a head-buzz, so my first inclination is an indica-dominant hybrid. This weekend I found something closer to what i have in mind, Bee Cookie - which is a OG Kush/Durban Poison cross as i understand it. I was looking for similar strains and Garlic Wizard is
    one that looked interesting with Terpenes that sounded good, but it's very high THC and seems
    maybe too overpowering. I just wonder, since i liked this Bee Cookie strain in particular, if anybody had any suggestions on others that would be close to this 'profile' and/or anything else that i might take a look at. Thanks and Happy New Year!

2. I'd look for strains with a 2:1 or similar CBD to THC ratio, you'll have to phenohunt to find one with the ratio you are looking for, but this way you can choose one with all the right traits.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Start trying 70/30 Indica dominant hybrids. Shouldn't take too long to find a few you like.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Makes sense. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  6. all these things you say you dont like i experienced them with indica genetics. paranoia drowsiness anxiety etc etc

i got this destroyer from cannabiogen 100% sativa with thai and colombia x mexico genetics and this is the happiest most focused high i ever had. so maybe go that direction as well. get some pure thai genetics and see if you like it.

7. Cool, thanks! Sounds like it's worth a try.

8. #8 Prophet216, Jan 2, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2023
    Smoking brings out what's on your mind because it helps you ponder your thoughts. If you have things troubling you, or your running from the cops, or are scared of something your probably gonna have anxiety everytime you smoke

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. You need to come to the realization that it's not just about sativa or indica dominance. Most modern strains are hybrids. It has more to do with the larger picture. Research the “entourage effect”. Or better yet. Here's an article that may help.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/...-entourage-effect-rdquo-scientifically-valid/

There are also accredited science based articles if you're interested. But, they get very technical. Look for the terpenes you seem to like best and give you the effects you enjoy. That's going to be the best starting point for narrowing down your search.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Have you tried edibles instead of smoking? Eating doesn't have the same effect as smoking, may do you better.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Again, I agree with TimJ. ( seems I do a lot of that lately lol)
    The indica / sativa labels are really on relative to the physical growth characteristics of the plants. Short, stocky, with broadleafs for indica, tall , stretchy , narrower leaf for sativa.
    Past that, it’s all about the synergistic effects brought on by the combination of the cannabinoids, the terpene profile, and flavonoids. Each individual will have their own physiological make up that is unique and therefore will experience this all in their own way. It’s not a one size fits all scenario.
    Get to know your terps really well. Some of our clients keep journals that document what combinations works for them and which ones have negative reactions. Once you can dial in your own personal combinations you will have a powerful tool to help guide you through your cannabis journeys.
    Dr Ethan Russo is one of the leading authorities on the Entourage effect. This is a good introduction to him and his work.
    Taming THC: potential cannabis synergy and phytocannabinoid-terpenoid entourage effects
    Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Ooops, double post
    Again, I agree with TimJ. ( seems I do a lot of that lately lol)
    The indica / sativa labels are really on relative to the physical growth characteristics of the plants. Short, stocky, with broadleafs for indica, tall , stretchy , narrower leaf for sativa.
    Past that, it’s all about the synergistic effects brought on by the combination of the cannabinoids, the terpene profile, and flavonoids. Each individual will have their own physiological make up that is unique and therefore will experience this all in their own way. It’s not a one size fits all scenario.
    Get to know your terps really well. Some of our clients keep journals that document what combinations works for them and which ones have negative reactions. Once you can dial in your own personal combinations you will have a powerful tool to help guide you through you can journeys.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. I use weed for my back. If I get 10 strains (high testing), typically about half are pretty useless, 2 or 3 are pretty decent and 1 or 2 are great.
    Your gonna have to try a lot of weed and a lot of strains, good news/bad news!

Once you find a few that work for you, the next issue is going to be getting those consistently. You will have trouble with this part most likely. That is what got me started growing, that consistency of medication.

For trying strains, I would start with something called boundary testing in some engineering disciplines. To apply it here, you would try the most sativa leaning sativa you can find, then try the most heavy body centric indica you can find. That will give you the 2 extremes, so you will have a much better idea of what is what for your consumption.

Also, as suggested by @gxxire, some CBD may chill the anxiety factor a good bit. There are lots of folks that just flat out don't like super high thc cannabis, but love THC/CBD flower.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Lower THC number strains in the mid teens are usually a bit better balanced ratio of CBD to THC. CBD is your anti-stone moderator and softens the "To wired" high that the higher values of THC can have.

As things get more commercialized we have shortened up the time between grow to consumer far from what I learned on in the 60s and 70s. Most of that even being Mexican Sativa was field harvested and dried then packed into compressed Kilo bricks.

It might takes months or over a year between harvest and reaching my hands. Now it is harvested as soon as possible and hustled out to the dispensaries while still largely uncured IME All that rushing has pushed the ratio of THC to CBD ever higher on the THC side.

As a grower I have the luxury of harvesting late and curing the 60 day minimum I feel is necessary to get the stone I desire. Doing that alone seems to bring the end objective into focus. The edibles I make are speedy enough without the fingernails on chalkboard feeling an early harvest no cure brings out.

Doing Dabs with my neighbor TTS really brought out the effects as I'd be all wound up in a ball after a few hits of nearly pure THC concentrates. Smoking a bit of my own Hash between dabs was enough CBD added to let me uncurl and relax.

BNW

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. @JMcGD, I believe we agree on a lot of different subjects because you've inspired me to further research topics we have both taken part in discussing in various threads.

16. You’re doing a great job of doing the research and then implementing it in your grow. I like the never ending learning process as well as you do!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Awesome thanks for a lot of great info from everyone here... Really helpful!