Trying to find God

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by Nizbomb, Dec 25, 2012.

1. Well a brief history on my beliefs and lack of throughout my life.
    When I was 4 I told my Mom that I wanted to be a christian, so she sat me down and said a prayer with me, to accept Jesus into my heart.
    When I was 15 I couldn't do it anymore. Knowing the state of the world, I couldn't believe there was an almighty and powerful God watching over us.
    So I dove into the world of science. I learned about Galaxies, stars, planets, nebulae, how the universe came to being, the laws of Physics. When I was 21 it all hit me like a winning lottery ticket... Without a creator, there can't be a creation... general logic. I started asking questions like: Why does the universe have laws? Why does it follow these laws? What is responsible for these laws. I can only think of one thing; something I think I've always known, but have been unwilling to accept it. God exists. There is no doubt in my mind. But what or who God is, remains a mystery to me. So, i'm trying to find him/her/it... I'm keeping my mind open to all possibilities, even that God gave up on us a long time ago.
    The only problem is, I have no idea where to start. I met this girl through my work, and we started talking a lot. She is a Christian... but unlike a lot of Christians I've known, she actually has reasons for believing in God. She choose to believe in him. She's damn smart. It's uncanny how smart this girl is. I told her my beliefs, and she says that I will find him when the time is right, but i'm not sure that I should just sit back and let it happen. I don't think that's how it works.

So, my question to you, the believer, how, where, when did you find God? What happened? How did you know?

Please, Atheists, respect the post. I don't want to hear your opinions. I know them all by heart. I use to be one of you. I respect your lack of beliefs, so please respect my beliefs.

2. maybe move this to the religious section

just like to point out that you say at 4 you told your mom you wanna be a jesuit. I find that extremely hard to believe, I'm sure you had a friend that was told he was a jesuit and he told you, so then you wanted to be one. cuz a child isnt born with a belief in sky santa, they get taught about it.

3. #3 Nizbomb, Dec 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2012
    I never said I wasn't taught about Christianity. Of course I was. I didn't come up with the religion on my own... I'd find that hard to believe too. lol
    btw... "jesuit"? really, man? that's unnecessary

4. god is god
    god is love
    maybe...

maybe you dont have to be christian
    to be a good christian.

5. I'm not sure I even want to be a Christian or religious at all. All I want is to know God, to have some sort of a relationship with him, assuming that's possible

6. as long as I have to keep using pagan, I'll keep using jesuit, mostly out of disdain

the only version of god I could ever really subscribe to is the universe. that god isnt necessarily a sentient being but an all encompassing one inside everything and everyone, from rocks and plants to stars. although its still based on science, similarities between a brain cell and the universe, we're all made of star stuff, etc.

7. I'm sorry for going off topic, but what did you learn about how the universe came into being? How did you learn it?

8. Conciousness is God.
    You're only one segment... your experiences, that is god. Your perception... that is god.
    You are god, trying to reveal your own potential... whatever it may be. You're human yes, but the ability to perceive is, well just think about it.

9. have god find you

10. I was raised in a strict Christian home, but rebelled and rejected all of it as far back as I can remember.

When I hit 30, out of curiosity and the need to feel comforted, I started reading the bible and digging into all of this and continued, at varying degrees, up til maybe my early 40s.

Now, at 62, I think it's all a bunch of man-made hooey. I see zero evidence for any of it and the older I get the more strongly this feeling becomes.

So "looking" for him doesn't mean much and doesn't necessarily do any good. I think all this god stuff is just in people's minds. I don't say this out of disrespect; I loved my late, devoutly-religious parents very much, and I love and respect one of my sisters who is also a true-believer.

FWIW . . .

11. If God exists, it's everything: You are God.

12. God was created by a a group of very smart men long ago to rule others. Its easy to see with a little rational thinking. If there really was a god would he make people gay just to daamn them too hell? In the bible it says its ok to beat your kids if you don't believe in god because your saving thhere soul. What god would allow this

13. Take a couple hits of lsd and you will find out

14. The big bang theory. How we figured that red shift meant that things are expanding and if you rewind the clocks, it all goes back to a singularity about 13.7 billion years ago. I learned it mostly on my own through books, the internet and a few physics teachers at my local college. I did my senior project on it. I wrote a 10 page paper on it.

I think God is responsible for the universal inflation, and the laws of physics that govern the universe. Sure, you can argue that it may not be God, that's it's just another thing we can't explain yet... you have your opinions, and I have mine..

I can't believe I thought I'd get some answers I was hoping for.

15. Prov 13:24 "he has spareth his rod hateth his son, but he has loveth him chasteneth him betimes"

Prov 23:14 " thou shall beateth him with the rod, and shall deliver his soul from hell"

And many many more

16. Did you read the last bit of my OP?

I have. All I learned is that it's not for me

17. As above. So below.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFKLc6K8Ydo&feature=share[/ame]

My friend, no need to look outward to find God. You are God. Welcome to reality. See where you can go with it. We're all reflections of one point of light.

You have millions of years of religion (pros and cons), spirituality, history of man, the universe.. all at your finger tips. Tips, points, hints, hidden gems.. all structured and created by the human potential. Everything is karma, and we only exist in what we created. When you find God in yourself.. You find God in everything. This is the message The Buddha and Jesus were teaching. Everything else is nonsense. Think and create out of love.. And be one with the universe.

Namaste.

18. In our own idividual realities when looking for answers outside our own perceptions and beliefs we are neglecting the aspect of god within us. Not God , an omnipotent being who judges all by some mold but the only true god, our will to choose what we do and what we become , how we impact the world . You yourself are the only God that can have an impact upon your reality. Find what that is by knowing yourself not doctrines that tell you who you are.

19. Exactly this.

20. OP its called the Holy Bible. Not throwing it @ you just saying that's what helped me.