Trying to find a job with Felony

Discussion in 'General' started by xxkmanxx, Sep 8, 2012.

1. So I live in New Jersey. I've had a few drug charges in my past. I have a felony charge. I regret a lot of the things that I've done in my past, but people make mistakes, and I'm trying to change my life around for the better. People do change. It's hard to get away from the past when it keeps coming up and haunting your future. I've been off of probation for about 2 years, but I can't seem to land a job. Every company I interview for asks about my criminal background, and I don't lie about it. Should I? I thought companies like honesty. Everyone has said they can't hire felons. Nobody will give me a chance. I don't know what to do. If I didn't have the support of my family I don't know what I would be doing. I've been applying to warehouse jobs, since my last job was a picker/packer at a warehouse. So, how do I get a job? Also are there any temp agencies or headhunters/recruiters that work to help felons get jobs? This is bringing me way down, getting mad discouraged and depressed over all this. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

2. Have you tried applying to some fast food joints like Mcdonalds? I know for a fact that they cannot refuse to hire former criminals.. Isn't there also a program that helps find jobs for felons who want to get their shit str8? I am more then sure that there is a program out there to help people in your situation..

Also do you know anyone who could hook you up with a job? I am sure that you could easily land a landscaping job or something.. Just keep looking man and keep being honest.. Something will turn up..
    Good luck blade and keep on truckin' :smoke:

Edit: its also pretty awesome to see such an old school blade around haha :smoke: Keep it real man, cheers!

3. man idk.. its shitty and you said it exactly right, its hard to do better when you feel like your past is just holdin you down..

im in the same position.. i got a felony and im on probation for 3 more years.. and there really aint no jobs around here anyway.. but i NEED to get a job.. i NEED to provide for me an my son.. i cant go back to what i kno, and what i used to do, cause more then anything my son needs me there for him..

its hard man, and i understand.. just keep up the battle.. keep lookin and eventually youll land somethin..

you may have to drop your standards and work some fast food for a minute

4. Look up distribution jobs. Driving a delivery truck for bread companies, or chip companies, or cookie companies...that kinda shit. They usually hire former felons because it's a hard job. Gotta get up early as shit (like 2AM) but you're done by noon and the pay is great.

Keep your head up man.

5. #5 FenceWalker, Sep 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2012

Have you looked into having your felony expunged?

I found an eligibility test by a lawyer in NJ, if you don't know if you are eligible or not:
    New Jersey Felony Expungement - FAQ | RecordGone.com
    I would say no. I think it's something like 80 percent of companies do a back ground check.

Your best bet would be to apply to local and smaller companies. Janitorial and food service are two possibilities. Yes, there may be some temp agencies that have felon friendly companies. Just need to spend some time with a phone and the yellow pages to see if you can find them.

I found a website set up for felons to try and get started, has 3 pages of companies, so you might get an idea from there:
    Jobs, and Programs for Felons in New Jersey

Good luck. :smoking:

6. Apply to restaurants. I work with a convicted felon at a restaurant preparing food, so it might be worth a look.

Other than that just try to keep a positive outlook and work towards your goals.

7. One of the best guys I ever worked with had a felony on his record. He was the lead server and shift supervisor at the restaurant I was working in, and he was the one that trained me. Since then he's also had work in a bar. It can be done, you just have to have sincere desire to change and show your employer that yeah, you have a record, but you're an awesome dude and they just need to give you a chance.
    Bottom line: restaurant work is where its at. In my experience people that work in food service are much more laid back about criminal histories.
    good luck dude

8. Thanks everyone for the advice. I really appreciate everyones input. Its also hard to try something new, cause everyone wants experience. I could try to work fast food or restaurants. A restaurant would be good, but like I said, I have no experience. I'm pretty down and depressed today. I've been clean for a while, just in case of job drug testing. I could call my dude up, but that would kinda be giving up. It would def change my mood to happy though. This is the main reason people with a felony stick to a life of crime, can't get a job. Everyone, thanks again for the info.

@FenceWalker: I wish I could get my felony expunged. Since I have more then one charge idk if I can ever get it expunged. Also I heard you need to wait like 5-10 years to get a felony expunged. So either way, nothing I can do right now.

9. Maybe put in six months at a fast food place like mcdonalds, they'll probs take anyone, then start dishing out apps at sit-down places.

10. "Well the world needs ditch diggers too."

11. Visit your local EDD office and ask about classes or handouts on felon friendly employers. Any employer that has a contract with the gov will not be able to hire you. It's not the employers policy, its a gov requirement.

12. So should I lie about my criminal background on a job application? I've been telling the truth, but here's my theory. I think that if you get hired and you show that you're doing a good job, if they find out about you're criminal background, they won't care as much because you've proven that you're a hard worker. Also I believe that some companies put that on their job application just to sort through the "bad people" even though they might not even do background checks. So what do you guys think?

13. This may have already been answered, but were you convicted or simply charged with a felony?

14. [quote name='"xxkmanxx"']So should I lie about my criminal background on a job application? I've been telling the truth, but here's my theory. I think that if you get hired and you show that you're doing a good job, if they find out about you're criminal background, they won't care as much because you've proven that you're a hard worker. Also I believe that some companies put that on their job application just to sort through the "bad people" even though they might not even do background checks. So what do you guys think?[/quote]

I work at arbys and my manager said they only do a back round check if you are applying for a manager job. I say you put no felonys on your record on your applications and just try to land a job at a fast food joint. I work with a couple felons and some tweakers so if you are clean cut and not a complete dumb ass you have a shot. So I say go for it man!

15. You have a felony charge or conviction? Charges don't matter.

16. As a felon..I found a great career in the auto body workforce.. Garages don't give a fuck what u did as long as ur good..it's hard to get ur foot in the door

But once I passed the apprentice stage I'm make 650 to 750 a week

17. I have a felony conviction.

18. Idk dry cleaning? Work at a deli car wash

19. Gas station maybe.

20. Idk maybe plumbing? The pay is good obv.